Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This! This has turned into the longest spring break ever for myself and I don’t know what this fall will bring. I have been so happy to episodes & moments again in years I haven’t seen, thrilled to finally see certain moments, and even learn new things along the way with Y&R which will always be my fave (with ATWT & GL tied at number two lol)

I really wish both Y&R and B&B would have  consider at least cutting a day to air classic episodes instead a for awhile as they returned to filming. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

To echo others, I didn’t grow up on Y&R and only actually got into it in the last 14 years or so I LOVE these classics. I love the acting, the music, the closeups. This is a show I wish I would’ve watched before it became the show that I got into.

• Members

I thought Sony owns most of Y&R (with a portion owned by Corday). 

Which would mean that Sony allows CBS to air it. And Sony would decide?
I don't know. I think I read that somewhere but I'm not sure, and I could be wrong.

I'm not an insider.

I guess the key would be, who has the distribution rights?

{EDIT- I was missing a key factor. See the post below this for the correct information}

I think they have to check each one of the older episodes for music copyright, and they might have to edit or change the background music before airing.  We can see that they did that with the classics that have aired so far.  They might have to check every episode before releasing it.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Agreed with the person above who suggested doing new episodes 3 or 4 days a week only to stretch it until covid is over. I wish DAYS would do that so could learn more about that show.

I also agree with the person who said they were hoping to see older episodes of GH. I grew up watching both y&r and GHbut the 50th Anniversary Marathon really helped endear me to GH, which is why I'd hope they air classics now. They seemed to be making an attempt in 2018 but apparently not now. 

If this situation occured about 15 years ago when we had 8 plus soaps on the air, I could only imagine the amount of classics that would air if the networks chose to!

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Mon. July 27 - #5436
Original airdate August 30, 1994

Recap:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps/NZ3Etzvpx_Y/nmB4yShUo2EJ

This episode has
Heidi Mark as Sharon Collins.
Robin Scott as Amy Wilson.

We know from soapcentral that Sharon Case debuted Sept 7, 1994.

It has been said that Julianne Morris debut as recast Amy sometime in 1994, but I never saw a date.

But now I have a date ...

Based on quite a few 1994 newsgroup comments on "rec.arts.tv.soaps",
I conclude this:
On Sept 6 and 7, 1994...

Julianne Morris debuted as recast Amy Wilson and then
Sharon Case debuted as the second recast of Sharon Collins,

(Also, based on the newsgroup comments, on Sept 7, 1994, Karen Hensel debuted as recast Doris Collins.)

Edited by janea4old

• Members

It did take Jill several years to convince John to remarry her.

In 1990, Rex and Jill were together as a result of the original Marge storyline. But they quickly split and Rex ended up with Leanna Love for a time and Jill ended up pursuing John again (she may have actually cheated on Rex with John, but I'm not sure).

Unfortunately for Jill, John was reluctant to commit. In 1991, John wasn't happy when Jill sought custody of Little Phillip (Chance) during Nina's imprisonment ordeal after she shot David Kimball; Jill had wanted her and John to raise Phillip together but John wasn't having it.

Later that year, Dina returned to Genoa City for Brad and Traci's second wedding and John got engaged to her. Jill hired Paul to find some info about Dina's past. Paul sent Nathan to look into it because he was busy helping Lauren grieve for the baby that Sheila had switched. I think Nathan found out something (I forget what) and Jill managed to use the info to stop John from getting married again.

In 1992, Rex and Katherine were back together and about to get remarried. IIRC, I think Jill tried to convince John to have a double wedding, but again John wasn't having it! Jill ended up seeing Blade for a period, but Blade broke up with Jill as he wanted her to work things out with John. However, Jill fell into an affair with Victor; he was on the rebound from both his failed marriage to Ashley and his failed reconciliation with Nikki (who'd gone back to Jack after learning she was pregnant with Jack's baby). Jill allowed herself to believe that Victor was going to propose,  he dumped her instead. This made John take pity on Jill and they finally got engaged.

In 1993, Jack tried to pressure Jill into a pre-nup. This enraged John and he ended up marrying Jill in a quickie ceremony partly to spite Jack!

• Members

I remember Jill was seeing both Rex and John at the same time but got exposed when Katherine invited John to an engagement party she set up for Rex and Jill.

Dina told the family she had an illness but she was actually broke.

Edit to add: Speaking of Dina, in the 1984 episode on Tuesday she was serving up some Alexis Carrington Colby fierceness. Bill Bell used elements of Alexis for Dina: mother abandons her family, lives a jet set life, remarries a wealthy businessman, becomes widowed, inherits late husband's business that rivals the ex-husband's business.  Bill Bell couldn't make Dina British or even French and have her live in a luxury penthouse as that would be too obvious LOL.

Although he hasn't appeared in any of the classic episodes, I think Marc Mergeron was Y&R's most Dynasty character haha.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Yep - Sony distributes the show and it airs on CBS, the same way that Fremantle distributes Price is Right and it airs on CBS. CBS’s deal with Fremantle is exclusive - they are the only destination for current version of TPIR in the US, whether new shows or reruns. CBS built that into their deal so the new shows wouldn’t have to “compete” with reruns elsewhere. I wouldn’t be surprised if CBS has the same type of agreement with Sony for Y&R. Years ago, CBS’s TPIR deal was not exclusive and reruns were airing on Game Show Network. CBS didn’t like that and at renewal time had the exclusivity built in. Only reruns from the previous version from the 60s are rerun.

• Members

That was an okay episode but I feel like the show uses that stuff to justify Victor being written a certain way.  And the thing is ... this should have made Victor a layered character... but instead he is written/acted as somewhat one-note.

Edited by janea4old