Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

I sooooo wish they’d air more episodes from 1973-80 with Jill and Kay’s powerful scenes together and apart. I often wonder where they get the “fan favorite” selections from, do the fans contact them themselves? I think they should just do a 70’s week for the show, or a “Best of Jill & Kay” week and show only episodes pre-1985. I also wish they’d just give in already and start streaming the first 11 years on some platform. 

Then again, if we could find people that recorded the show from ‘75-‘84 on some video format (Beta, VCR, U-matic, etc.) and get them converted, that would also be an alternative for them not showing the episodes on TV. 

And please refrain from telling me they don’t exist because there’s someone out there who has to have at LEAST taped the ‘78-‘84 era, since there are so many episodes of other soaps from this era. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They do exist in Sony’s vault. Sony’s predecessor, Columbia, was very good about saving all the episodes.

I would love to see a Best of Kay and Jill week (or three). You could show the episodes where they meet, where Kay hires Jill, where Philip and Jill fall in love, the “accident”, the blackmail, the manicure, etc.

• Members

I wonder what would have happened in ep 3?

Obviously Snapper and Chris have their first scene together at Pierre's. Would Sally have witnessed this?

Prior to this perhaps Greg had his first scene with Snapper?

Chris having a scene with her parents before meeting Snapper?

In the weeks that followed how did Brad and Leslie meet? Maybe Stuart invited him to the Brooks home for dinner?

Considering Lorie didn't arrive till December how did Brad/Leslie play out in all those months?

Also, Jill,Greg and Peggy must have been supporting all that time.

We know Jill had a relationship with Brent but its never mentioned in synopses.

So what were the 1973 stories?

• Members

I posted in the "Look into the past 1975" an article chronicling a bit of 1973. I give it again here:

Question: I missed the early months of The Young And The Restless .and have been puzzled by various references — it seems — to a rela-tionship between Chris and Greg before Chris married Snapper; also to a sugges-tion that Jill had been involved with Gwen in some rather unsavoury incidents. —M.R., El Cerrito, CA 

Answer: A relationship of sorts developed between Chris and Greg when Snapper, despite his feelings for Chris, wouldn't consider marriage for both financial and emotional reasons. Snapper had been deeply hurt when his father, for whom he was named, abandoned his family while his children were still young and Snapper had con-flicting feelings and emotions about love, marriage and committments which made it impossible for him to make a binding relationship with Chris. Greg had never concealed the feelings he had for his brother's girl and when her rela-tionship with Snapper seemed to be over due to Snapper's inability to make a committment, Greg tried to step into the breach and hoped Chris would fall in love with him. Chris was hesitant in this relationship — she still loved Snapper and then, when Chris was the victim of a rape and then a trial in which the rapist was acquitted, Snapper began to realize the pain and concern he felt for Chris was the kind of love he could allow himself to trust. Badly depressed by what loomed before her as a life of little money and excitement Jill Fos-ter was impressed by and envious of Gwen Sherman, one of her clients at the beauty shop in which she worked. Gwen wore beautiful clothes and had loads of money, she was appa-rently living the kind of life Jill had always dreamed of. Sensing Jill's dissatisfaction Gwen invited Jill to join her in her enterprise — or at least to visit and see how she, too, could make money and have fun! Jill, after repeated urging, finally did visit Gwen at her house on the edge of town and quickly realized Gwen and the other .girls there were earning their money by "dating" men. Almost sick to her stomach Jill quickly left but ironically ran into her brother Snapper with some other interns from the hos-pital at the front door of Gwen's establishment. Snapper slapped her across the face after which she hurried home. She later explained to him she had done nothing, she had only ac-cepted an invitation from Gwen to visit. Snap-per realized she was telling the truth but pointed out she risked her most valuable asset by just being there — her reputation — and made it clear he considered her judgement very poor. 

• Members

Just watched the 1984 episode on global.ca. It is really great, not only because of Kay's facelift but also with Jabot/Mergeron stuff. The three stories features are great.

Story A: Victor / Douglas / Nikki / Julia > Victor pushes Nikki away because he thinks he might be impotent after being wounded by Rick Daros when he saved Nikki. Julia advises Nikki and Douglas advises Victor.

Story B: Kay / Liz / Alan > Dr. Alan Jacobs takes over the bandages off Kay. Liz is supporting her as she is about to see her new face (I love the relationship between Liz and Kay. Will never understand why the show got rid of Liz in late 84-early 85).

Story C : Jack / Carol / Ashley / Joe / Cricket / Dina > The Jabot storyline is the best. Jack is jealous of Ashley's good numbers with the teen line so he has Cricket sign a contract with him and wants to take her over to Mergeron with him as he plans to leave Jabot. Dina is worried about her step-son Marc being in town after she sees him with Ashley. 

• Members

Honestly, I’d love to watch the entire series again — beginning in 1973. Do you agree with me that there’d be an audience for it?

I’d be willing to pay for it, too. They could upload it to CBS All Access and I’ll subscribe, or I’d pay a fee to watch it somewhere else. There are a lot of years I’d love to watch again.

• Members

These are the ones I know of

Liz had uterine cancer (may have been another form of cancer) and had a hysterectomy (possibly) Bruce and possibly Ma Henderson came to town around that time. Seems to have been May/Jun 73. My guess is Jill and Greg were supporting during this time. 

I'd guess Jill probably on aired twice a week and maybe sometimes three times depending. Probably a lot of supporting other stories or talking about other stories or wishing she was rich and beautiful. Apparently she and Greg would have arguements around social issues.

Greg was supporting to Chris, Snapper and Sally, Brad was also a supporting player in that story too as a confident to Sally as he ended up living above Pierre's across from Sally. 

The Bruce Henderson / Jennifer Brooks affair story started around summer and is referenced in Bryna Laub's early 1974 synopsis

Sally had her summer story which consisted of her ex Frank Martin coming to town to find the daughter they gave up

I am guessing Brad and Leslie were slow to move. Probably a lot of spending time together with Leslie slowly coming out of her shell. It was apparently a pygmalion story. I know Leslie went on her first concert tour in fall 73 and Jennifer accompanied her, and spent more time with Bruce

The main focus seemed to have been on Chris and Snapper.

Below is Chris and Snapper's story from Daily TV Serials as well 

Jill and Chris both went for a modelling job but left when they heard it was topless, Jill went back and almost took the job. This was before Chris' rape and Gwen Sherman. The photographer was apparently Chris Robinson

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I have uploaded the first four years' worth of story synopses (as well as lots of other early Y&R goodies) in my Vetsoapfan's Treasure Trove: Vintage Soap Material. They are on page three.

And just for clarification purposes: the sleazy photographer who tried to lure Jill and Chris into "erotic" modelling was Michael Gregory, the first Rick Webber on GH, not Chris Robinson (who was Rick Webber number two). I remember that episode soooooo well. I was shocked when Chris strode out of his office in indignant rage, but Jill hung around and went back in, offering her services to him. I thought, "Liz Foster would have a STROKE! And Snapper would be MURDEROUS!"

Another memorable episode was when Jill accompanied one of her clients, Gwen Sherman, to the "cathouse" on the edge of town where Gwen worked. Wouldn't you know it, while Jill was checking out the establishment, Snapper arrived at the front door to hook up with a prostitute. He took one look at Jill, became enraged, and smacked his sister right across the face. (Of course, his hypocrisy was glaring!)

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Thanks, that makes sense. I really just have a perverse obsession with seeing soap characters living in squalor.

I swear, Terry Lester’s Jack gets my motor running any time I see him in these repeats. That smug attitude is terrible but I love it.

Seeing so much Liz Foster in ten days is frustrating bc she should still be alive and making periodic visits to HER daughter.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

He's my favorite Jack. He was very loveable no matter what he did. Who knew Terry was gay. I had no clue.

Checking the ratings vault and the ratings for today's show was an 8.8 with a 30 share and was #1 for week. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I’ve never seen the facelift before but yikes, it’s clear why this is such a legendary moment. It goes without saying - it just doesn’t get any realer or more raw than this. JC was a trooper to agree to it, or was it actually her idea? Either way, amazing.

How was the story written around this? Was the actual procedure also televised or just the unwrapping of the bandages? Did they really and truly follow every stage of her preparing for the procedure and then going in? It’s so fascinating to me.

Funny seeing Jack proudly fawn over Cricket when we know how TL would eventually feel about the character.

• Members

Cricket was only there for spring break and summer stories at that time. It wasn't until summer 1986 that Lauralee Bell joined the cast full time and Cricket proceeded to eat the show for the remainder of the 1980s.