Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't think so, at least from what I have read from other virologists. From what I have read they made the choice not to formulate it this way from the get-go. I doubt that FDA approval had anything to do with this since they already had emergency authorization.

What full FDA approval really did was give the federal government the authority to mandate it, rather than have it be taken solely on a voluntary basis.

I really think many of these pharmaceutical companies didn't believe that this virus would adapt so efficiently. They seemed to treat COVID-19 as though it would behave more like other coronaviruses like MERS, which were deadly but not as ruthlessly efficient in its transmission ability.

• Members

Not sure how reliable this is, but according to a non peer reviewed study, the suggestion is to do a vaccine of the original version SARS virus instead of doing RNA adaptations of the current vaccine.

Apparently the theory is that this will be more effective against variants.

And it was stupid of scientists not to assume covid would mutate.  It's a virus and a virus always can mutate especially with all the social distancing, mask wearing, and spreading it has been doing for 18+ months.  It adapted itself so it could work around some of the safety measures, and also being in so many people..it learned how to infect quicker.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/vaccination-gives-hybrid-immunity-to-recovered-covid-19-patients#Future-pandemic-threats