Jump to content

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread


Toups

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members
1 hour ago, amybrickwallace said:

All reports I've heard say he was vaccinated, so it was a very sad breakthrough case. God rest Colin Powell, who truly was an American hero.  

He also had Parkinson's and Cancer so his body Immune Compromised

1 minute ago, janea4old said:

Colin Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body's immune response. Even if fully vaccinated against Covid-19, those who are immunocompromised are at greater risk from the virus.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/politics/colin-powell-dies/index.html

Sadly true but itll be the vax doesnt work ughhh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
30 minutes ago, John said:

He also had Parkinson's and Cancer so his body Immune Compromised

Sadly true but itll be the vax doesnt work ughhh

Unfortunately the CDC and WHO (with their sometimes muddled messaging) have been no match for the likes of What's App and Facebook. Even YouTube just recently started disabling accounts that had been promoting snake oil cures and misinformation. And most of the earliest headlines mentioned that he was fully vaccinated without mentioning his multiple ailments and how that could figure into things.

The media is also not helping the fight against misinformation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Unfortunately the CDC and WHO (with their sometimes muddled messaging) have been no match for the likes of What's App and Facebook. Even YouTube just recently started disabling accounts that had been promoting snake oil cures and misinformation. And most of the earliest headlines mentioned that he was fully vaccinated without mentioning his multiple ailments and how that could figure into things.

The media is also not helping the fight against misinformation.

ALL THIS RIGHT HERE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Unfortunately the CDC and WHO (with their sometimes muddled messaging) have been no match for the likes of What's App and Facebook. Even YouTube just recently started disabling accounts that had been promoting snake oil cures and misinformation. And most of the earliest headlines mentioned that he was fully vaccinated without mentioning his multiple ailments and how that could figure into things.

The media is also not helping the fight against misinformation.

Indeed they are not. Until I came here, I just knew about the COVID-19 complications - not his other ailments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, janea4old said:

Colin Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body's immune response. Even if fully vaccinated against Covid-19, those who are immunocompromised are at greater risk from the virus.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/politics/colin-powell-dies/index.html

From the Mayo Clinic: This is what multiple myeloma does to your immune system:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/multiple-myeloma/symptoms-causes/syc-20353378
Doctors know that myeloma begins with one abnormal plasma cell in your bone marrow — the soft, blood-producing tissue that fills in the center of most of your bones. The abnormal cell multiplies rapidly.

Because cancer cells don't mature and then die as normal cells do, they accumulate, eventually overwhelming the production of healthy cells. In the bone marrow, myeloma cells crowd out healthy blood cells, leading to fatigue and an inability to fight infections.

The myeloma cells continue trying to produce antibodies, as healthy plasma cells do, but the myeloma cells produce abnormal antibodies that the body can't use. Instead, the abnormal antibodies (monoclonal proteins, or M proteins) build up in the body
(end quote from Mayo Clinic)


NY Times says:
Colin L. Powell, whose immune system was weakened by treatment for multiple myeloma, died of complications of Covid-19 despite being “fully vaccinated,” his family said in a statement.

Peggy Cifrino, Mr. Powell’s longtime aide, said that he had been successfully treated for multiple myeloma, a cancer of white blood cells in the bone marrow.

The family’s statement did not provide further details about the complications or underlying health conditions. It said he was treated at Walter Reed National Medical Center. Other details about his health were not released, including whether he had received a booster shot, or when he had been vaccinated against the virus. He was 84.

----

As if now, NYTimes knows he was fully vaxxed but  they don't know how long ago.
As of now, NYTimes doesn't know if he ever received a booster shot.

My thoughts:  Even if he was "successfully treated" for multiple myeloma, the family didn't say if his immune system had been fully restored to normal functioning.

Edited by janea4old
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy