What Are You Watching/Binging/Streaming Now?

applcin

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In recent weeks, I've binge-watched: 

- Strangers Things (all 3 seasons)

- Mrs. America 

- Unbelievable 

Loved Stranger Things & Mrs. America. Unbelievable was good, but I wouldn't give it the award for Best Limited Series (I'd probably go with Little Fires Everywhere or Mrs. America... although I haven't seen Watchmen yet) 

• Members

Finally cruising into finishing MERLIN Season 4 and TELL ME A STORY Season 1.

Great job on TMAS in how they are taking fairy tales and making them even more twisty. I was wondering how Hansel and Gretel part was going to tie into its original but looks like it is finally about to happen. And loving the acting...especially from Kim Cantrell. 

• Members

Chicago Fire (season 4), Chicago PD (season 3), Superstore (season 3), Black-ish (season 2), Umbrella Academy (season 2), The Boys (season 2).

Just finished season 1 of Greenleaf and season 1 of Ozark.

I just dropped Big Brother All Stars from my list. Could not anymore....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I watched Netflix's The Boys in the Band, and the word that keeps coming up in my head is "unnecessary." It's matched nearly word-for-word with the 1970 film, but something rings false with several of the performances (I was NOT feeling Jim Parsons until halfway through). There were lines that were delivered quite differently than they'd been in the old movie, and it just changed the tone of some key parts.

I try to evaluate adaptations/remakes on their own merits, but it's hard to do that with this when there are very little changes from the original. The only thing "new" this version had to offer were flashbacks during the phone game (which were nice but again unnecessary) and montage at the end showing where everyone ended up after the party - DEFINITELY not needed.

This was really just the revival cast/crew wanting to honor the original story 50 years after it first made it to the screen, so I can't be too hard on it. I think it just proves that some stories are woven into their era of origin, and it's impossible to replicate it later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

LOL!!! YES, it did.

And I started watching regularly when she started. I loved how they went about it. From sparring partners to friends to the legendary pairing. I cannot begin to tell you how I got annoyed with the Lana whiplash when they were finally starting to realize there might be feelings. lol. 

I've been considering rewatching since I've forgotten a lot of it now, never saw the first three seasons completely, and wanting to see if my memories held up.