Y&R: New Head Writer

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When are you going to get it through your thick skull that Jean is not that great YOU make her out to be. The only decent year out of a 20+ year career in soaps [on 6 soaps might I add] was 2005. ONE good year. Most good writers [and you claim she's a "great" time and time again] have at least three under their belt. Hell, a hack like Guza had that many years in the late 80s on SB and mid 90s on GH. So did Hogan Sheffer on ATWT. Jean has one.

And don't bring up 93-96 because that was all Michael Malone. When she finally did gain some power, OLTL was going downhill.

And no one wants her on DAYS unless she's writing dialogue, which is the highest she's ever should've received out of a 20+ year career. Twenty years and she still cannot tell a decent story with good character development, exposition, rising action, and denouement.

In the nicest way I can:

tumblr_mh1fe2Fh3z1qlxyddo1_400.gif

• Members

He was horrible at both. While true on AMC he ventured into the obscene by having Adam kill Stuart, on GH he did such charming stuff as having a woman get on tarmac and await a bullet to her head by the "hero" Sonny, in much the same way the American journalists await their fate when forced to make ISIS videos. Another time he had Sonny throw money at a woman as he called her "bitch" and screamed at her to pick it up whole she crawled around the floor trying to get the money. Another time he had Sonny strangle 80 year old John Ingly/Edward.

His writing has no concept of right and wrong, he has no concept apparently. His writing his horrid, the worst I have ever seen on a soap. The lack of morality in his vision creates this vacuum of decency which makes the good guy act disgusting, forcing him to come up with one degenerate villain after another to serve as some sort of contrast.

• Members

Admittedly, I loved Pratt's first couple of months at AMC. The show felt energized in ways it hadn't been in years. But eventually the crazy came out and the show was indeed irrevocably damaged. Y&R will be the same. Pratt will shake the show out of its lull, as new head writers often do, and some people, like I did with his AMC, may even think, "Hey, this isn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be."

But just you wait...

• Members

Well, I can't say I'm all that shocked. Nothing daytime does anymore, but Chuck Pratt? Seriously? You can't tell me Chuck Pratt is the best Sony could get. I bet they didn't even give Kay Alden a call. I know the Bells have little power now, but they better do something or their family's show is going to be destroyed.

• Members

I am not familiar with Pratt but this all sounds so very bad. Like Christopher Goutman and ATWT bad.

This is beyond people turning a blind eye to the damage JFP and, according to you all, Pratt has done in the past.

I wrote it when the news came out that they were resetting Phyllis' age with the recasting of GT (no offense to GT), and I am sure it is true now - Y&R is and has been on its way to cancellation.

I guess JFP and Pratt need money REALLY bad to have "killed the #1 soap The Young and The Restless" on their resumes.

I bet the cast and crew are scared as hell right now.

Makes no sense.

• Members

Then Pratt should be fine because GH offers this very same thing and is thriving - no?

Frank and Ron unsystematically brought in about 20 new characters in 2 years and made the GH cast their supporting players. To boost ratings, they have recently added 2 divas that can't find work anywhere else when neither is needed. FrankenRon have not told one cohesive story to date. Not one! It is plot after plot after plot as they decimate what's left of the GH legacy.

When Pratt has an international terrorist, kidnapper, killer, baby snatcher as COS, all because he created the character, we can revisit this conversation. Monica lost her job because she help AJ evade the law. Why is Dr. O COS?

When Pratt puts a serial killer in the bed of a main character, tells no story but says in an interview, they have great chemistry and does very well with focus groups, we can revisit this.

When Pratt has toddlers with more airtime and "story" than adults, we can revisit this conversation.

When Pratt has embryos as lead characters [as well as have them used in exchange for freedom], we can revisit this conversation.

I will not be convinced the Pratt is worse than the garbage currently destroying General Hospital, and after watching 11 dreadful minutes of YR yesterday, bring on Chucky!

• Members

From everything I've gathered AH is the latter. Gosh knows, how much I loathe her in the role of Victoria (she could've been OK in another role), but she's a fixture and must be beloved by people on the set. People like AH, JM, SC are completely safe. I don't see them recasting any other legacy cast members - the loss of the three has been impactful. GT will keep Phyllis going, but NuNuBilly is a disaster and who knows which way the Adam recast/storyline will go. If anyone gets dumped/recast, it will come from the fringes and probably won't happen until early next year.

Archived