Robin Strasser Blasts Laura Wright Over "The Chew" Appearance

• Members

Laura Wright is simply playing ball with ABC Daytime. She should REFUSE to be on THE CHEW? Why? That won't bank her any good will with ABC.

Strasser was let go from OLTL HOW MANY times? For running her mouth? On one hand, props to her! On the other, shut up already. She had 40+ years on daytime and was recastable in both of her famous roles.

I don't hear Kathryn Hays bitching about ATWT a year later. Show some class.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I honestly have no dog in this (though I do find it funny as hell), but you all mean to tell me that someone like Eric Braeden would pass up a chance to use every media tool that he had access to/could maneuver to blast, say, Ronn Moss, if he was chose to guest star on a show that replaced a cancelled Y&R?

Really?

• Members

haha, I remember that very moment.

"HELL.YEAH!" laugh.png

She actually only got fired once, I think, in 1987 by Paul Rauch. She left of her accord in 2000 when JFP was there, and the last time? Well, she had to go for health-relate reasons but was told to finish earlier than she had wanted to do so originally (which IMO was disrespectful, as I felt she should have been there at the end), but I don't think she was actually "fired" last year.

I love Robin Strasser to death, and I commend her for defending the soaps and their fans, but although I NEVER want to watch the Chew (and ditto The Revolution), I can see for publicity purposes why it's in Laura's best interest to appear on the show, given it's another ABC Daytime show (same as The View, to cite the most obvious example outside of GH).

I'm all for not watching those two shows out of respect for AMC and OLTL from a fan's POV, but actors, at the end of the day, obviously have to think about making a living here.

• Members

Precisely. Even if GH doesn't get axed this year, it'll get another year or two at the very most. LW and her husband are well under 50 and have two kids who I'm sure they'd like to put through college so it's very wise of her to diversify and plan for the future, when the GH paycheck is no longer coming in. Why shouldn't she use the opportunity to publicize GH and her other endeavors?

They weren't even the first soap canceled that year for goodness sake. Where the OLTLers' sense of entitlement is coming from, I'll never know. No one from GL, ATWT, or AMC has been so childish about their network moving on.

• Members

LW's segment, It was crap. Chef Symon talked about how his brother loves gH but then Mario opened his mouth and Said I know daytime audiences didnt like us when started but now that they have moved on, we feel like part of the daytime community. Sorry but thats BS. For all we know LW's contract may specify she has to do publicity on ABC owned talk shows. She may have had no choice to do The Chew.

I cut for RS because I think she is more upset for the 800 plus crew that lost jobs from this cabncelation

• Members

Thanks for the summary on what happened on The Chew. Mario hush, yes audiences moved on, many of whom are no longer watching soaps.

I think the P&G actors knew they were going to be cancelled, they were just waiting for it to happen. OLTL seemed to have people in denial when it came to that.

• Members

Foul Robin! I just don't understand why people won't let this go... The genre is all but dead, and the 4 left are hardly a representation of the greatness that Daytime once was! These shows have been on for so many years, and the time has come.

I would much rather watch The Talk than the final years of ATWT. GL? After 72 years, what was left to write? Did we really want the shaky cameras and the few indoor scenes that looked like they were filmed in a closet to continue?

And are actors not supposed to appear on anything that replaced a soap? Things are canceled all the time...move the hell on! This adolescent behavior is ridiculous!

ANDREA

• Members

As much as I throw shade at Strasser, I at least believe her when she talks about the people who lost their jobs. There are some folks on the boards who talk about all the jobs lost and you just know they are only saying that so they don't sound completely juvenile. Most of these soap fans would willingly accept having their soap generated by an iPhone app if they thought they could get their shows back, jobs be damned.

She's not Patti Hearst. LW owns a winery, correct? Then I think it's fair to assume that she is happy for any chance to promote her business and The Chew is the PERFECT place for her to do that. Strasser made the wrong call here.

Archived