Robin Strasser Blasts Laura Wright Over "The Chew" Appearance

• Members

It doesn't matter what GH ratings were in 1981 it should've been about what it was in 2011. No point in arguing bc OLTL is dead but ABC had been plenty of time to reverse their decision. But it is what it is.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know what part of "ABC wants out of the soap business" people keep missing. OLTL's little bump at the end and the tiny bit of budget they saved by putting rushed crap on the air means nothing in the balance sheet of a network. Soaps in their current form simply don't bring in enough money to justify the resources they use. You can't show shareholders a soap that makes a $10 profit and a talk show that costs 40 percent less to produce and expect anybody to say, "Yeah! Let's keep the soap!"

Whatever profit OLTL was making wasn't enough. Whatever ratings OLTL was getting wasn't enough. And unless GH starts pulling in the numbers Y&R used to get, it won't be enough there either.

• Members

The only thing I can think of is the time slot until Katie arrives. It would be pointless to shift everything to try and keep one over the other when all 3 were doomed anyhow. GH fans were lucky, and boy are we paying for that now.

I haven't watched a full eppy in 2 weeks.

ANDREA

• Members

Good for Strasser, stanging up for what she believes in AND against corporate greed, which is what the cancellations of AMC and OLTL were about. The genres are not dead but being killed. If they wanted to lower the budgets, the easily could have cut both shows down to 30 minutes. It has done B&B no harm being a half hour show.

• Members

What does Laura Wright going on there have to do with any of it though? I'm sure her winery will soon be her main source of income. Don't hate her for doing what she needs to do. I know she loves soaps as much as Strasser but they're not in the executive positions at ABC. All 3 ABC soaps were/are on the air for a period of time 99.9% of tv shows never have been and never will be. I have come to peace with my show ending (even though I feel IMO it was a premature decision) think others should to.

• Members

I love the mantra of corporate greed when it comes to ABC yet no one batted an eye or cared than Prospect Park was willing to have these shows produced out of the US to save money on production costs. All the feelings for all these so called 800 workers didn't seem to matter then did they.

Archived