DAYS: April Discussion Thread

• Members

I had no idea Jen was coming back on contract. I thought they were going to use her like Kayla. Come in and out a few weeks here and there as her family needed her. I thought that was going to be Jen's role when Hope went to prison. She should have just come for that arc and been written out after she helped free Hope. I actually didnt mind her in those first few months but as she stayed in town, she just got worse and worse

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's exactly what they should have done with the vets. Even marlena. They could have brought her back for Wills story and left and made periodic visits. I feel Tomlin did more of this kind of thing with Leanne H and Mary Beth coming back for specific arcs and then leaving. Not everyone has to be on a longterm contract.

• Members

or like Justin and Adriene, who while stayed in town, are just recurring and used as needed. Justin had quite a bit to do during Night Time Hope but then went back to the background having a little thing with Adrienne on the side which wasnt overwhelming. You are right; not everyone needs to have a contract and utilized as frontburner just bc of that

• Members

Agree. Bringing back beloved characters for a limited time and specific purpose helps keep viewer goodwill, IMO. As I was saying in another thread, we recognize the fact that soaps don't have big budgets anymore, but part of the reason why we love(d) these shows so much is the feeling they give us that family is never far from anyone's mind and heart and always there to provide a moment or two of support no matter how far away they happen to be otherwise.

• Members

Rinna is funny and charming and, in the big bad non-soap world, she is a representative for Days. Not in a Susan Lucci transcending-the-genre sort of way, but she does have sparkle and I love her on the show right now.

BTW, GREAT scenes between James Scott and Arianne Zucker yesterday. AZ has been nailing it big-time in order to remind us what we've been missing with her.

• Members

Nicole isn't much of a character but she does have a role to play that's important to the show, even if it's just as EJ's wife -slash- incubator she also has scenes and relationships with people outside of EJ. She has a rivalry with Sami, she has a pseudo-friendship with Rafe and she is moving story somewhere by being pregnant (even if it's a retreaded/recycled Sami story). Sonny and his coffee house is just not doing it - he has one role which is to be Will's break glace flotation device. They need to diversify his meaning as a character before they even consider WilSon as a possible romantic entity, but I doubt MarDar care outside of having their first gay story on Days.

EJ is a grey character, let him be light grey for now. They will no doubt darken him later for conflict in other characters.

This seems like a nice way of saying he as a character no longer fits on the canvas even though Datillo may work on his own. The problem with Lucas is that Rafe and him are the same character. So there is only so much mileage they can get out of him because Sami was just in that relationship not two seconds ago before Lucas popped back into town. EJ being across the hall isn't doing him any good either because it's bringing back bad memories of 2007/2008. I honestly don't really get the point of bringing Lucas back, the show is overloaded with good boy, Dudley do right heroes in that age range in the form of Daniel, Rafe, Austin and Brady

I think she is effective and likable. She reminds me a bit of Alicia Minshew in her earlier years with stronger dramatic capabilities. People seem to like her in the underdog sort of way because of what she has gone threw. I personally found her to be a bit too crass when she first came back but I have liked her a lot more since as she seemed to have truly matured during the Sydney saga. That being said I don't believe she is that strong of a dramatic actress (Sweeney has more power) she just has a very amiable quality about her that makes people want too root for her. She is strongest as a romantic lead, she is fairly solid as a dramatic supporting player, has soft comedy skills and she can work with multiple people. She's basically a work horse of an actress. She's not perfect but she is good at a lot of things on a show where there are many bad actors. Her limitations aren't stressed and made readily apparent like other actresses were in her age range, which also makes her look more impressive. There is a reason for the praise/hype when put in that context.

I think the best thing about her is her sincerity and versatility actually. It never seems false, even if it might not be amazing acting persay. She's not phenomenal but she is good at a lot of things. Things you wouldn't notice or think matter do in her scenes and that raises her caliber. I remember the tickling with her and James Scott awhile ago, when Nicole was trying to get EJ to tell her why he hired Will, and her confrontation scene with EJ where Nicole childishly says she hates him - pitch perfect. She makes good choices that make her scenes feel real, warm, believable and yes even in a way innocent. She has good instincts.

I'm not convinced AZ could handle being a heavy lead in a story like AS and JS did for years on end. She works best in a supporting capacity.

• Members

Yeah I was watching some shows this week on NBC.com and the characterization of Lucas is just completely off nowadays, but I think it's the writing and not the actor. In the 1990s Lucas is a loser whose Mommy runs his life for him; there is absolutely nothing to like about his character and Dattilo goes to town making him as thankless and unlikable as possible, with just the slightest vulnerable edge to the character. Now for him to be a good guy versus EJ's bad boy... eh.... doesn't really go with the history of the character. His bark is supposed to be far bigger than his bite.

I get that characters grow, but it seems they've lost the core of the character somewhere along the way.

• Members

I simply think that being underused as opposed to overused creates an idea of someone being better than they truly are. i have no doubt that if ari was on 5 days a week in every story people would be hating on her heavily.

Ali is limited. Without question. But she is also given big, ott, [!@#$%^&*] day in and day out. When she is giving something more subtle, like graces death or some of the marlena scenes recently, she doesnt go ott at all.

Personally, as a sami fan i cant think of anything better than a few long months on the backburner, its what should have happened with rafe honestly. Happily married, working, etc for awhile. Tho, nobody is in more need of a break than EJ.

• Members

She really didnt tho. She never became lead, she moved the plot along, but she always supported Sami and EJ. Even when she was on everyday of the week, sme episodes was a few light scenes. Shes not used in heavy drama day in and day out for years on end. She is a great supporting actress and im sure she would be a fine lead actress, but i also think if she were to be used as much as sweeney a lot of people would see more limitations and issues they dont see now because shes being used in such a limited capacity. thats it. it goes for everyone in any genre tho.

• Members

I watch for Rinna. Her scenes with KA yesterday were phenomonal. Im glad theres no drama between the 2 characters. I loved Billie's little talk with Bo before Hope showed up. I seriously cant express how much Im loving Billie at the moment. I havent felt this way about the character since Rinna's original run in the early 90s. I have to say she's been my favorite return from the current regime

Carrie....STFU. I dont think she has any right to be angry with Rafe. She can be upset with the situation, but he was NOT her man. For heaven's sakem, he's still married to her sister. She's also being completely unfair to Austin. She's lying to him and doesnt even want him. She's only settled bc she cant have her sister's husband

Glad Lucas got a haircut. He looks so much better

I really enjoyed those EJ and Nicole scenes. I thought JS did some good acting there

Yeah, the Alamainia nonsense is finally done! Looks like I got my question answered in that they never got that divorce. I cant beleive all that time was wasted and their original reason for leaving hasnt been accomplished

Archived