AMC: Lorraine Broderick named Headwriter

• Members

McTavish has always taken credit for the Natalie in the well story, which I'm not sure I fully understand since Agnes was HW at that time, along with Megs, LB, and Wisner Washam. She also takes credit for creating Jackson Montgomery. I don't remember where I read this, but she claimed that she dreamed up that name while sitting on the toilet. However, LB was HW at that time, having just taken over for Wisner, and Megan had no real power at that point, so I don't think she was creating characters at that point. She also claims to have written the whole Linda Dano soap hopping thing with the ultimate reveal that Skye was Alan Q's son. I find that all rather hard to believe. Either I'm totally naive about the behind-the-scenes goings on at ABC, or the woman's a pathological liar.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn if we haven't paid Errol's car note this month.

At least it's not another shiva thread.

I'm cautiously optimisitc, but optimistic. First of all, I do believe this guy, or at least I believe that he believes what he's saying because I can't imagine anyone with sense putting his ass on the line like that.

I'm just imagining if it was announced that David Canary, Julia Barr, and MCE were returning, we'd be siced about that too but I'm sure that we'd be wondering if such happy news was actually indicative of the final chapter.

Regardless, I'd like to see the show go out painlessly and in good spirits surrounded by family and friends. If it's the consensus that LB will better achieve this, then this is good news indeed.

• Members

Well, maybe Natalie in the well was her idea. I think Wisner and Lorraine jumped ship soon after and Agnes became an uncredited Executive Head Writer.

Here's the the vid I was talking about. It was Agnes, Lorraine, Wisner, and then McTavish.

• Members

She was Associate Head Writer under Agnes Nixon in the early-80's, as well as under Wisner Washam. She was promoted to co-head writer with Washam in 1986, then was solo as head writer from 1987 to 1989 (when she briefly co-wrote with Victor Miller). From there she was back to being Associate Head Writer when ABC brought in Margaret DePriest to trim the show's stories & cast down. DePriest didn't last a year before Agnes Nixon herself would return to the lead post, with Broderick still and Wisner Washam back as AHW's... and in 1991, Megan McTavish would be added to the AHW mix. Broderick would leave in 1991 to join the head writing team of Guiding Light (and Washam would leave upon the announcement that McTavish would become AMC's head writer in 1992).

Broderick returned as head writer in mid-1995, shortly after McTavish's first dismissal from AMC - and ended in late-1997 when ABC brought McTavish back. This particular run won Broderick three consecutive Daytime Emmy awards as head writer (one year was a tie, with Y&R, I believe).

I think this might break it down simply, what stories Broderick is best known for, whether one thinks it's good or bad:

Mid-late 1980's: Laura Cudahy's death by drunk driver; Cindy Chandler / AIDS; Natalie being raped by Ross (whom she was having an affair with); Julie / Nico; Erica / Silver Kane / Goldie / Damon Lazarre revenge story; Erica's becoming a mom / Bianca; Travis / Erica / Jackson triangle...

Mid-90's: Homophobia in Pine Valley (Michael Delaney; Kevin Scheffield stories); Janet's attempt at redemption and repairing her relationship with Amanda; Erica's descent into drug addiction and subsequent public breakdown; Dr. Jonathan Kinder / Skye's return to PV; the beginnings of Adam & Liza; David Hayward's entrance to Pine Valley; Maria & Edmund's adoption of Kelsey's baby (and Kelsey taking him back); Erica's post-pardom depression (after miscarrying hers & Dimitri's baby) and subsequent kidnapping of Maria's baby; Julia / Noah / Taylor and the weird voodoo stuff; the plane crash / Maria's death.

Of course, there was Broderick's few months in early 2010 as interim head writer, where we saw Brooke & Adam reunite; Jamie Luner actually becoming Liza and the setup of what could have been a fantastic HOT story between her, Tad, Damon, & Colby; the seeds of JR & Annie's affair; and of course, Palmer's memorial, which would be one of LB's last episodes as head writer for that little stint.

;

• Members

I just want her first airdate material. This is it AMC, you screw me over on more time and I'm forgetting you just like AJ forgets his real mother.

My interests right now is how she writes

Erica

JR

Amanda

David

Liza

Jesse

Scott

Kendall

Greenlee

Colby

Frankie

*crosses fingers that she can lure MCE back..I know that's asking for too much but dammit Annie/JR can not end like that*

• Members

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but I noticed how much more sponsors there are for the full episodes of All My Children on ABC.com. Dove, Walgreens, Allegra, just in Friday's episode. It used to be those damn Ask Frons Q&A. It's at least a positive sign that they're able to sell this space.

• Webmaster

Wish I still had a car, lol. Living in NYC there is no need for one. I'd be skeptical of this multi-year deal, personally. Yeah, they sign a head writer to a multi-year contract, that doesn't mean they can't cancel the show and fire the writer afterward (or even before). If an actor can be fired every 13 weeks during the duration of their standard 4 year contract, so can a head writer (they just get paid more, after all).

Archived