AMC: Lorraine Broderick named Headwriter

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly.

Here we've gone from two headwriters who tried to write character-driven stories and failed, to one who can be true to character but who cannot come up with a juicy plot to save her neck. So I'll remain calm about this news.

• Members

I see the justifications DeeeDee was talking about ;) I don't care how someone acts, it doesn't justify killing off a core character

No actually he doesn't, I remember it being said he admitted he never watched AMC and didn't care much for it, but watched OLTL and GH

• Members

Probably her first, if anything for the whole Ross/Natalie/Palmer story and she started the Cindy AIDS story. Things got kinda wonky and out of balance around the time of the writer strike, though. I noticed that both times she did an addiction story -- first with Mark in the 80's then with Erica in the 90's.

• Administrator

Wow! Awesome news for AMC! I guess D&D's cycle finished at the end of March instead of early March like some of us thought. So this is definitely a great surprise. If/when AMC ends, at least it will go out with the right HW.

• Members

Well, I am glad I never bought into AMC being cancelled before OLTL. I had been waiting for AMC's "new headwriter" announcement for weeks, not because I watch AMC but because I knew that this would proceed OLTL's cancellation. It still stings. Oh well. I fully expect OLTL's cancellation announcement within the next two weeks. Now I can move on! :)

• Members

The difference is, Eric, and you know I love you - AMC's bottom line has been less profitable than OLTL's, and more costly for the network. They gave it a huge investment to try and save it, but Julie Carruthers couldn't cope. I'd love to see Lorraine Broderick's work help to recoup the show's losses, but what sticks is my craw is that nothing like that would ever have even been attempted with OLTL - nor would the network have brought back, say, Linda Gottlieb should such a move fail. This is like AMC's third or fourth last chance. I don't want to see it go. I'm glad it appears to be alive. But the preferential treatment is clear, unless, of course, OLTL is not cancelled shortly - and I think it will be, so AMC Starring Rebecca Budig can limp along some more.

• Administrator

Since D&D's contract weren't renewed, I honestly think ABC chose Lorraine to usher the show out Aside from Agnes, Lorriane is the perfect choice to do it. I don't think because they changed HWs it means AMC is any safer.

• Members

I don't think AMC is any safer either. Nothing tells me that by hiring this headwriter would give the show a lot more time.

I still maintain that sooner than we might think, both AMC and OLTL won't be around anymore.

Archived