AMC: Lorraine Broderick named Headwriter

• Members

I guess it all comes down to the accuracy of the contract terms as I doubt ABC would sign someone to a multi-year contract on a friday and

cancel the show the following week. I know a soap can and does get canceled regardless of a writer/producer/actor contract although this isn't a situation where say LB signed a multiyear contract in February and in April a cancellation announcment is made, TV Guide reported ABC will announce cancellation this coming week, SO if that rumor is true and the LB rumor is true, then she wasn't signed a multiyear contract so that aspect of the report is wrong since she was simply hired to write out the final months. IF the multiyear contract is true, maybe ABC decided against cancelling AMC? Maybe its just canceling OLTL? Or no soap is canceled? Things do change, maybe the proposed replacements fell apart or are delayed.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I kind of wondered about that but then there is talk that Broderick signed a multi year contract. Not that that means anything.

But I also thought Broderick had the chance to become HW when she took over for Pratt and she passed on it or was that just

rumor.

Her being hired might just get me to tune back in even if its just for a short period of time. And if they did hire her to usher the

show to conclusion, kudos for that. I don't know if anything she does will improve ratings but I do have confidence she can restore some

sense of AMC back into AMC.

• Members

I highly doubt that ABC would announce it hired Lorraine to write the final season of All My Children. Maybe that's the intent, but they would never say, "It's going off next year, but in the meantime enjoy these stories by Lorraine." Primetime can get away with it, but daytime dramas are supposed to be never ending and the goal is to keep the audience engaged and ideally bring new viewers into the fold. Announcing a cancellation a year in advance is not a wise business decision.

I think this hiring gives AMC 1 more year. I see the network giving the show 8 months to show some improvement. If after the 8 months ratings continue to decline, then the show will have 4 months to tie up its storylines.

• Members

I'm not going to pretended to act like I know what ABC is doing, but I think as you that Broderick's hiring is a one last chance thing. I don't think AMC nor OLTL are going off the air right now. I'm so amazed how people practically believe anything that's printed. Not one single solitary person from ABC has said a thing. All we've heard from are these "sources" from the inside :rolleyes:. The question that I continually ask is, how is it that none of these sources have any concrete, "this exactly what's going to happen" information. How come everyone's "source" is not on the same page? For me, it's wait and see what ABC says. That's the only truth.

• Members

What ABC did here was give AMC a last chance. If ratings keep declining AMC is gone, sadly. :(

But with Lorraine Broderick they brought her in to restore the AMC. I actually enjoyed her when she was interm. That February Sweeps ROCKED. And AMC felt like the old AMC back in the 90's when she wrote.

I can't wait to see what she has in store especially knowing SHE will make all the decisions. :) Also I know she didn't want to HW because of Frons interference and his inputs.

• Members

I'm looking forward to hearing quotes from Lorraine regarding future storylines. I'm also interested into hearing what she has to say about the last year and a half. How and who exactly asked her to come back in 2009? How did this recent HW gig come about?

• Members

"I can only report what I'm told. And as you know, things change. AMC seems to have gotten a repreive for now, but my sources (oh wait I shouldn't say that I don't have any AMC sources) still tell me AMC isn't completely out of trouble."

Well I mean, that's not an actual quote...

• Members

but the fact OLTL is being canceled when it has higher ratings and is under budget and AMC with lower ratings and being over budget isn't, it is not a leap that OLTL is being canceled to pay AMC's bills, maybe AMC should try to stay under budget

Archived