AMC: Lorraine Broderick named Headwriter

• Members

He's always favored AMC, and the LA move and all the pomp and circumstance associated with "get to know THE NEW AMC!" was an ego trip for him. In the end it didn't help, but it doesn't matter, OLTL will probably still go under the wheels for it.

I'm not saying OLTL is really much good right now, it's not. It's pretty terrible most of the time. But it's not AMC, and it was never given a fraction of that consideration. Until the last couple years I thought only executives failed upwards, not actual programs.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not quite--it started its drop around 95 which is how FMB justified firing McTavish (I don't think Behr ever got along with her really). To be show it was the first time McTavish did her habitual slide into WTF territory, the show started being overun with doubles, etc--although at the time I still loved it. Broderick's stuff was largely very good, I thought (the whole umbrella story involving the Cutting Edge shooting of Laurel which tied into Michael's coming out to his class, then Kevin, etc was prob, IMHO, the highlight of her era), but had some stories fans hated (Erica stealing Maria's baby, which I didn't mind, Tanner Jordan kidnapping Hayley which I thought was a horrific story), and she did a few wacky stories as the execs forced her to do some more DAYS style stuff (the voodoo story which never really went full on supernatural, Mrs Clause which at least gave Eileen Herlie/Myrtle some great stuff), but the day to day stuff for the show was at least very strong--the city felt like a town again, etc. But yeah ratings continued to slide--slowly but--and first FMB was fired and then Broderick to rehire McTavish (and we all know how that went). Still, a lot of that stuff was very very good, and of course looks all the better in hindsight. I think she is a good fit at AMC--her and FMB certainly weren't for ATWT (and it's hard to judge Broderick's time as co HW with Whitesall on OLTL--it was such a campy time, between EP Tomlin and Whitesall, I would love to know which stories, if any, were specifically Broderick's)

• Members

I didn't read the ten pages, but Angie... you and I have had our differences in the past throughout all your screennames... but I swear to you... this would be one huge, cruel disappointment if you posted this and it was just another rumor you read somewhere. I had given up hope and figured Dumb&Dumber would be writing this show into its final days... I am frightened to believe that there could be a chance this show could at least give a bold, courageous attempt at rising from the ashes.

• Members

Those of you who know more than I do about this stuff, is how long before we see LB's work?

SL just mentioned that she started filming her 'new' stuff ie.

Do they film 3-4 weeks ahead still? That would have put them starting too/already filming sweeps. Which would put LB's work on air about June???

• Members

Oh man, that Cutting Edge umbrella story was just phenomenal. I'm not usually a fan of those type of stories, because they normally come off as so contrived, but that really worked because it all seemed so organic...Michael's coming out, Laurel-Trevor-Janet, the Sheffield bros, the teeens, Tad-Liza. It all came together so beautifully. It was so expertly plotted. Her subsequent stuff, briefly with Millee Taggart, wasn't as wonderful IMO, though much of that coincided with Francesca James coming aboard and Disney taking over. The voodoo stuff, multiple Pierces...there was a lot of bad during James-Broderick. I think the ratings slide during McTavish had more to do with OJ than with her OTT stuff, but they remained somewhat consistent through Broderick's tenure. The drop wasn't that precipitous. It was during McT's second tenure that the bottom dropped out.

• Members

R S, you know how many times that woman has breathed life into this show? I'm am a cautious as you.

BTW DK/DS's contract only went into March. So I'm hoping end of April Lorraine's writing starts over this ugh! I feel like Tina Turner when she was married to Bobby, how many hits can this show survive from? is it too late?

Archived