Y&R: Episode discussion, Week of January 25, 2010

• Members

Well, as further evidence that I dance to a different drummer, I found much of merit in Thursday's show. I also had several significant problems with the episode...but I felt there was good and bad. I'm not seeing the poor dress/lighting/production values you all are (I do miss classic music, but that's more of a nostalgia motive)...so I'm clearly processing this show at some different level.

What I didn't like:

• - Cane is implausible as a business man, and I find his duplicitousness involving Kay and Jill unacceptable. He's basically siding with Kay against his "mother" Jill, and that is unconscionable
    • - Hayley Erin can't act.
      • - I'm most disturbed with how they're writing Jill right now. First, Kay's emnity against her right now is wrong and unfair...but I'm not feeling even Jill perceive that sense of injustice. Both Cane and Tucker have reassured Kay that Jill is not the enemy, but Kay doesn't listen. Second, Jill seems desperate and dependent. When she was trying to pitch "tie-ins" and "cross promotion" with Tucker Unlimited, and then trying to rope in Cane, and then promising to rope in Billy--she seemed desperate and clinging and cloying. That's not a side of Jill I care to see.
        • -Jack's history with Jill is complicated...a mix of lust, admiration, and hatred. But ultimately, they are long-standing comrades in arms. Thus, I don't know where all his hostility toward Jill was coming from yesterday! That seemed like insta-conflict to set up the battle for Jabot.
          • - I found myself confused by Jill's claim that if Jabot were lost, she'd be out of a job. First, I thought her position was a Chancellor, not Jabot? So, in that case, Tucker could authorize her to stay on at Chancellor. Second, he offer to front her own startup... Third of all, if she's a talented executive, she should be able to work anywhere. At this point, there is nothing -- NOT ONE LOVED ONE OF ANY CONSEQUENCE -- to keep her in Genoa City. I feel very badly for how isolated and unsupported Jill is.
            What I did like:

• - Ashley versus Victor. IMO, Davidson SPARKS in those angry scenes, and it is the most energy ED/EB have had since she returned this last time.

[*]- I'm genuinely interested in this "custody of the ranch" story--we need a good, juicy divorce. It seems clear (thank you, baby monitor!) that TGVN will try to grab Jabot as leverage -- to bash Jack and get his ranch from Ashley

[*]- I'm also genuinely interested in how they have positioned all this...nobody is at full strength. Jack wants control...but he needs to pool family resources AND Gloria owes him money! Jill wants control, but Tucker is intent on selling the company (can Jill put together a winning bid?) . Victor wants control, but his return conversation with Nick (where Nick paid off the Cayman depositors) revealed that even NE is cash-poor. So, how can all these weakened players compete? Or this the sign that an outsider will win Jabot?? Moreover, how will the "victor" survive, if they spend all their free capital on an over-priced Jabot at auction? It makes the "victor" very vulnerable to an attack on another flank. For me, this is the most intriguing business story line in a long time.

[*]- I know Ryder (whose story I have also hated, till now) is "dead eyed" and "unwashed" and "IV-fluid-unclean" and "emaciated". I think Wilson Bethel may have some chops, and the show clearly intends him to be "sympathetic" sibling (in contrast to Daisy). So, I rather liked his compassion vis-a-vis Abby. Don't shoot me, but I felt a bit of a JT/Colleen vibe coming on (Ryder/Abby). The problem, of course, is that Hayley Erin can't act. I know there are all these rumors/spoilers about Ryder doing bad things, but I don't believe them. This doesn't square with what we see on screen. If anything, what seems more plausible is that Ryder might be framed for doing bad things. And it would be interesting if Abby were the only one who believed in him.... Here's hoping for an Abby recast, soon. (Although she's doing better as the spoiled, petulant, damaged teen than she ever did as the grieving daughter).

[*]- I like the idea of how complex the relationships will be. Abbotts and Newmans will fight together for some reasons, but attack each other for others. That promises (to me) to be intriguing.

• - The way Jill talked to Victor...priceless! I wonder, though, if Tucker's game playing and threat to sell off Jabot means that she'll end up folding in with Victor after all? Since the sale will now be a sealed auction, there is really no advantage to gamesmanship. The highest bidder wins. I also liked when Tucker said, in response to Jack's "so you want a bidding war?", "Let's see if you have the ammo!". That was a great line on many levels.

• Replies 274
    • Created
    • Last Reply
    • Members

If I did then I would have to shoot myself because I thought the same thing. There's the age difference, both girls are Carltons, both girls have dabbled with drugs, and apperance wise Ryder is a sullen, scrawnier version of JT. Or they could be a retread of Brittney/Raul, poor guy/rich girl. The writing regime seems to be making this teen set into paler imitations of the teen set 10 years ago (Eden/Noah=Billy/Mackenzie).

• Members

Oh, LA Ashley was amazing: confident, witty, funny, bright and sexy. This was the first woman Ronn Moss clicked with since the early 90s.

I do see Eileen working to bring some of that Ashley into her scenes, though. Especially the way she's playing the Baby Faith stuff, talking Jabot and confronting Victor. But it isn't the same.

BTW, I thought ED looked lovely in deep purple yesterday. It was a flattering color on her. And her curly bob is great on her.

• Members
    I thought so as well. When the material is there, Eileen can pull it off. Unfortunately, no matter how hard she tries to salvage this material(i.e. Ashley/Neil, Baby Switch, Confronting Grambo) it still falls flat for me.

I hated seeing Ashley reduced to a crying, insecure mess. The confidence she had when she returned to announce she was temporarily in charge of Jabot was excellence. Where is that Ashley?!

It just looked like something the wardrobe department stole from April Scott's closet.

• Members

I thought today was pretty good... After yesterday's dismal garbage. I like the Abbotts actually ACTING LIKE A UNIT FOR ONCE. Eileen is really on fire this week in every way... acting wise, appearance wise, she's just rocking it. I loved her RED blouse and that necklace, she's cute as hell the last few days. I love the idea of them being skeptical and wondering what Victor has up his sleeve, I'm wondering that myself (and if you who read spoilers, didn't... you might find a SHRED of enjoyment when it comes time for the reveal) Muhney is doing better. He still bothers me, particularly the way he hold his mouth... but I've seen improvement this week. Harry's death has been one of the precious FEW realistic beats of this cancer SL (although the day he was introduced, I knew what his purpose was), and Kahlil actually did an acceptable job playing this today, she did the "Am I next?" fear pretty well. nothing stellar, but pretty good. Today there wasn't much background music at ALL. The music coordinator is SUCKING lately. It almost seems like they're trying to be all things to all people. Yesterday, the show was FILLED TO THE BRIM with that horrendous hip-hoppy music (I bet that's Bloom's idea to "modernize" the show) and yet just a few days before, we had Jeanne Cooper and Beau Kazer in an embrace with Katherine's theme playing, like it was still 1974. It almost seems like instead of consistency, they're throwing "bones" to CBS and Sony execs who want things "modern", and trying to do the same to long time viewers who want consistency, And the result is disjointed.

Archived