Y&R: Episode discussion, Week of January 25, 2010

• Members

I agree. Besides, this is a very socially conservative show in regards to gender roles, and Victor himself is very old school in how people would look. It's ridiculous that he would let these sloven bums parade around his company. Nick used to clean up when he worked at Newman.

I also agree that the men on this show look awful with longer hair. Even many of the guys with shorter hair look more and more sickly to me, or dirty. Thanks to the "styling" choices of this show, most people look awful almost all the time, but the show's idea of what makes a hot man baffles me. When I see a guy who looks like he might have ringworm, I don't get turned on.

The only man I can remember who managed to look good in a business setting with longer hair was Keemo, who no longer exists.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally Branson, was thinking same thing. We just need the hot air balloon. I didn't like Russ but he grew on me.

I think the stylists at Y&R are just trying to keep te show looking current which helps in the demos. The 'ringworm' look is in right now. I see so many guys looking like Cane all over NYC so it isn't so jarring for me. The actors probably style themselves like this in real life. The socially conservative look is so out on TV these days. MAB made a comment about bringing the show into the 21 century, guess this is what she means. On Y&R the 'preppy' guys are usually jerks--for example, Billy and Adam. The scruffy guys are all about feelings: Cane and Nick.

• Members

I don't know how much they care about being current. The whole show has a very regressive, 1950's feeling. They are very proud of their hostility towards women and minorities. The show also sees Billy as a hero, and Adam to a lesser degree.

MAB may see the styling as being about hipness, but given how awful most of the women also look, I think it's just cheapness all around.

Archived