Y&R: Fire Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, Scott Hamner, and Paul Rauch

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, in fairness, the "glam" soap was an evolution. In the early years, the soap also contained the Foster home, Snapper's apt., April's apt. None of these were remotely glamorous.

But the dive bar is kind of pointless...it makes not sense that anyone would go there.

• Members

Yes, but Y&R revolves around the wealthy, there isn't a real lower class or even standard middle class family on the show. Even the trailer trash characters like Gloria have been given money and made into something that isn't lower class.

Y&R no longer has the sophisticated, cinematic, or glammed up identity it took on. It's all very cheap and watered down. I do not buy a bunch of rich people living and looking this way.

It's as pointless as Restless Style is...

• Members

I posted this in that thread, I might as well post it here.

Sony only does contracts, and Maria controls the writing, she and Paul Rauch have no problem bragging to the press about how much they get to do and write whatever they want to write.

If Maria knew she had to write Braeden out before his contract cycle was up, she could have just as easily crafted another exit story for him, and one that was less damaging to the Victor character. I also don't think it's any coincidence Hogan Sheffer has recycled the same inane plots and characterizations from show to show, and Maria's crappy art influence and sh!tty pacing style has been apparent since day one.

Braeden's beef is clearly over his contract dispute, which Sony handles.

Let's not forget how much Braeden praised Latham when she was employed at the show, and the minute she was fired, he started bad mouthing her to the press.

• Members

There was nothing "glam" about the sets, true. But the way the show was shot, with moody and sensual lighting, and a unique score gave the show a look that no other soap up until that time had. Much of that is gone now. There's nothing unique to the look of "Y&R" anymore.

• Members

It also wouldn't bother me if it wasn't so obvious that the show was TRYING to be remain "glam". I'm aware that when the Brooks, et al were front-burner, the show was more blue-collar. And if the show went back to that, these clothes/lighting/sets would be totally acceptable. But they're trying to pass off JC Penney as Brooks Brothers, and that's what's frustrating.

• Members

Not seeing enough Y&R threadswink.gif and tired of seeing all these best actor, worse hair, worst breath, best polished toe nails threads. So i wanted to bump this becasue I had an idea and did not want to create another thread for what I have to say.

I think a Labine/Boderick HW team along with Maybe Felicia Menh Behr(sp) as EP or even Wendy Ricthe at Y&R would be awesome. Labine could repair the nuke bomb MAB and team dropped in genoa City. Malone would be good as a AHW.

With Kay Alden and or Jack as a story consult.

Dream Team?

• Members

I think your intentions are good and sweet, but it will probably never come into fruition, as many of us would like.

I'll say it, a better experienced storyteller is needed to bring a sense of heart, community, humanity, and yeah, reality back to the show. I like your Labine idea. I think her strengths as a writer are exactly what the current version of Y&R needs and that Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scott Hamner just don't have the expertise and talent to carry off. Also, she did say a year or two ago she would welcome the chance to come back to daytime, no matter how horribly she was treated by both PGP and ABC during her ill-fated stints at OLTL and GL.

With Eric Braeden/Victor possibly leaving for good, the show needs to be in capable hands for this possible transition to be successful and entertaining. Labine did a good job of refocusing GH and brining it back down to earth after Monty's disastrous second stint and the directionless days of the early Riche era. However she was allowed to tell the stories she wanted to tell back then, but even then, she was faced with a lot of network interference. Unlike MAB, she doesn't have a husband that's part owner of her show. Labine also favours smaller writing staffs, which Y&R's writing staff is anything but. I'd love for someone like her to come in and cut this writing team in half and hire some better script and breakdown writers, but the current writing team seems to like it this big, which I obviously don't agree with.

But as much as we'd like for it to happen, it won't. But, I guess what we can all do is hope that one day a real storyteller graces Y&R again.

• Members

We can beat all the drums we want, doesn't mean it's going to happen, as we would like it to.

I still hold out hope this current writing regime will replaced, but by who? I want change, and I want to know someone at least tried to save the show in its final years, which obviously isn't this current writing team.

A true storyteller like Labine would be ideal, and even though she's old, she did express recent interest in coming back to writing for soaps, but someone would have to want her.

Regarding the business element, at least people had professional lives on Labine's shows, which isn't allowed on the current Y&R anymore unless it's Restless Sh!t.

Archived