Y&R: Fire Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, Scott Hamner, and Paul Rauch

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This "location shoot" was so done on the cheap it's not even funny.

It's pretty embarrassing actually. Y&R was always notorious for it's lush production values and this was all just one big dud.

And how sick was it to see Colleen, whether you loved or hated her, floating in the water the entire Thursday episode?

• Members

This show is ALL Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scott Hamner's toxic vision. I refuse to believe anyone is forcing anything on them. I saw what Sheffer and Hamner have done on other shows, and I know what Maria's solo stint at Y&R was like. All of these people needs to be fired for their lazy, damaging, and uncreative writing.

Also, the people running this show are very boastful about how the network doesn't interfere and how the show is all them. I don't think they would be this boastful if it wasn't true.

The people writing this show deserve all the blame, not CBS or Sony.

Here's what both Maria and Paul Rauch have said:

http://tvguide.ca/2008s+ente...r_nb.htm?isfa=1

http://tvguide.ca/Soaps/Features/Articles/090917_paul_rauch_NB

• Members

what I did?

Back on topic. If I knew my opinion counts. I would actually try to talk Bloom since I'm in NYC. But I don't think they care about what I think because of the people they hire to write for the show doesn't care about Niel, Dru, & Devon. I might put them in a worse spot. Instead have being on a three months vacation. They'll be on a seven months vacation.

• Members

No matter how good the writer, everyone has their bad patches. I've seen it with Claire Labine on Ryan's Hope, Marland on ATWT, Bill Bell and all the others. What's important is where you go from there. Do you learn from your mistakes and continue what you're doing? Maria Arena Bell was flawed from the start and the same goes for the new team including Hogan and Scott Hamner, but they were giving us a very watchable show for a while. When it fell I said I'd wait and see what happens in the fall because thats the earliest they could fix things.

Well...fall season has arrived and I'm not seeing any change. In fact, including the spoilers it seems to be getting worse. No back to basics for this group! I think the fact that they've ignored every single complain is stunning. The show is just getting darker and darker. It's really unbelievable. Now that I've seen their comeback material I seriously think they need to go.

I don't care how people feel about Jack Smith and Kay Alden, but they need to come back. You can keep MAB if you want, but imagine if those two were her co-HWs instead of Hamner/Hogan.

• Members

I posted this in the main thread, but it's better off in this thread.

Remember when we were told this regime actually brought the ratings up, and that was true for a few months? But things have leveled off. Did anyone read Sara Bibel's recent article? She posted ratings info for the 2008-2009 season, Y&R, as well as other soaps were down in all or most of the major demos. The ONLY success story was DAYS. They either had no change from last season, or went up. The only demo Y&R rose slightly in was 18-34, but the rise wasn't anything big or noticeable.

Anyway, the Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, Scott Hamner, and Paul Rauch era can no longer be credited for brining the ratings and demos up, since ratings have actually been down this season when compared to the previous season.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/deep-soap/deep-soap-the-numbers-tell-the-story-2/

ranker3.gif

• Members

I don't recall Alden or Smith's HW stints being dark and certainly not humorless. Alden got her kicks with the Jill/Kay/Larry stuff and I thought both gave us tons of humor in the workplace relationships. Phyllis, in general, was a very humorous character pre-LML.

• Members

Ratings actually didn't improve in the overall 2008-2009 season where Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, Scott Hamner, and Paul Rauch were in charge.

So, from a financial/business standpoint, it makes perfect sense to fire them all. :)

Fans are unhappy, ratings threaded downward, and this regime refuses to acknowledge any mistakes. Why should any of these people still be employed at the #1 soap?

• Members

If MAB wwas more active in the show. Because I still believe she don't read what is handed to her. She just check off on it. Because even if we can get Alden & Smith back. MAB going to have to read what they are handing to her so she can say what's should be added or taking away. Or we might end up where we was when we was complaining about them before Rainbow Hack can to town.

Archived