Y&R: Fire Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, Scott Hamner, and Paul Rauch

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is all very GH like. Hire people who hate the show and want to gut everything they touch. Publicize it in a way that is all shock and awe, and will get guaranteed temporary ratings boosts. Cling to those boosts and ignore the quicksand you're slowly sinking into.

At least GH has good production values, and a heck of a lot better casting director.

I said this in the other thread and I will say it here. Soap magazines and spoilers do not cause fans to hate these stories. ANYONE will know these twists and turns. The baby switch was telegraphed months ago. The people who run this show are so impressed with their own brilliance that they really think fans are irrelevant. They think we're all brain dead and are going to be swept away by everything. They also don't really think Y&R existed before their arrival. MAB might, but Sheffer doesn't, and I doubt Hamner and Rauch do either.

They immediately dump themselves onto this show and start killing off and sidelining key characters. Conveniently enough, most of the actors who play these characters are painted as divas and ungrateful by some of the soap press. The same soap press that endlessly fawns over the "vision" of Queen MAB.

The fans are trained to blame the actors and never, ever blame the show. The show is more interested in finding scapegoats than in producing good TV.

Many of the fans I know who aren't even interested in spoilers or websites and just follow the show on a day to day basis are sick of it all. One of them has finally, after years of not wanting to know what will happen next, is asking me what's going on, because she wants to "be prepared."

They are ruining the experiences of so many viewers.

• Members

I don't have a problem believing a lot of this is from Hogan, as he perpetuated this same sickness on ATWT and DAYS, but if they continue to enable him, then they're just as bad as he is. He has run roughshod over the fabric of the show, and seems to hold everything about soaps in contempt.

Rauch is probably another problem. The vanishing minorities and constant women in peril/women with no control over their lives, and the endless parade of psychos.

• Members

Alvin, listen very carefully:

I. AGREE. WITH. YOU.

DO NOT THINK THAT I AM DEFENDING MARIA. Although it would be nice if she were fired, I accept that SHE WILL NOT BE. Getting the OTHER writers fired is a much more attainable goal.

• Members

But how are you confident that things will change only if Sheffer goes? I'm not confident that she didn't pick up a thing or two from his supposed "vision" and wants to enforce it on the show, even if he's fired.

Y&R is not like B&B, the Bell's do not own the majority of the show or own it outright. If Sony wants Maria gone, she can be gone.

Also, how do we know Maria ever wants to get rid of Sheffer and Hamner? For all we know, as long as she's there, they will be there too.

• Members

I also hate the way this writing regime has taken the glamour out of this show. Y&R is a show about mainly rich people, but somehow, this show has a really cheap feel to it these days. That damn dive bar is so lower-class, I just cannot imagine it as a place where the elite of Genoa City would want to go.

Y&R doesn't feel or look like a glam soap anymore, which used to be one of its traits. The wardrobe even reflects it, the wardrobe of many of the women look as if they've been picked from the bargain racks at various department stories. I understand there's budget cuts, but other soaps have been doing a MUCH BETTER job at being glam and dressing their sophisticated characters than Y&R is currently. The show feels pedestrian writing-wise and producing-wise, instead of being the sophisticated soap we know it is.

Archived