Y&R: Fire Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, Scott Hamner, and Paul Rauch

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We've discussed this before and at this point, I support this idea 100%. Not because it's a good idea, but because it's one of the few ways to turn this situation around. The only problem is, how could he have possibly fooled Hope? Why is this guy hearing Hope's voice and breaking down over it?

• Members

It sure would, but what is worse? Having him get away with his crimes or having them come to light and the guy is walking around free interacting with the good people of GC? Why wouldn't any number of people either kill him or punch him in the face every single time they see him?

• Members

They could use one of the Bell proteges, and no, not Janice Ferri Esser or Natalie Minardi Slater.

What are Trent Jones and/or James Houghton doing these days?

Jones particularly interests me, given the great writers he's written for. Labine, Long, Curlee, and Bill Bell had to have seen something in him to keep him on their writing staffs or hire him.

• Members

The bottom line is that at this point, Y&R is deeply compromised.

To my knowledge, most if not all of its HWs (until Latham) have come from within the Bell machine, thus they all had at least some innate understanding of the show's tone, style, history and focus. The show now has Maria Bell but clearly that's not enough. And they are not going to go out and get another Bell. Sony will go out and get a Lorraine Broderick, or a Culliton, or if they're lucky a Stephen Demorest, but these people are not Y&R. They're other soaps, and they bring the baggage and scent of the soaps just like Sheffer and Scott Hamner. I like many of these writers (including Hogan Sheffer) in their proper arenas. Y&R apparently is not it. It's too rarefied, which is part of the reason I've never been a huge fan of the show.

There will not be another Bell Jr or proto-Bell or Bell assistant to guide the show back on course. Y&R is in the open air now. Whoever they get, if they get anyone, which I doubt - or anyone you could choose to get - will be someone different, who will continue to modulate and mutate Y&R into something different, which is now what it is probably going to continue to become until its cancellation.

• Members

I agree, but I don't think a writer necessarily has to try to fit the old tone or style of the show. Most people just more cohesive, honest, and character-driven storylines. On Y&R currently, the storylines are so horrendously executed, the day to day writing is atrocious, the pacing is a mess, and there's no variety or balance. Not to mention, the show puts shock value ahead of character development, romance, corporate intrigue, and other defining Y&R traits and classic soap traits. It's like a poor man's GH (without the talented writing staff) bordering on Passions.

While a stronger storyteller from outside of the Bell universe may carry some baggage and probably from other shows, surely they'd understand the basics of classic soap opera.

Right now, Y&R feels like an anti-soaps. It's like it's trying to be some primetime HBO show, only Y&R doesn't have the budget or writers to back it up.

The show right now, with three very different and troubled Head Writers, has too many cooks in the kitchen. It doesn't know what it wants to be.

Archived