Y&R January 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

Oh, how I rooted for Brandon Collins. But you're right, Victoria didn't have a "teen scene" surrounding her. She was always interacting with older characters when she was younger. 

Besides this thing with Billy,  I can only remember the one affair with nick and she wasn't married to anyone at the time. I wouldn't characterize that as an "always". Same with breaking up families. While I considered Phyllis loathesome and lacking in boundaries in MS form, I'm not going to exaggerate her misdeeds. Lol. 

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not exaggerating and I have watched the show forever. I will say Sharon may ALL characters beat by how many men she slept and married and in all families BUT Phyllis has done some extremely horrific things.  I don't even want to type but I will name a just a few.

She trapped and stalked Danny (although I cannot stand him, he didn't deserve what she was doing), she had Ronan cover for her and Kevin with dumping Tim's body. Not to mention she did sleep with Ronan, Deacon (dumpster sex) and now back and forth with Jack so many times consistently hurting him.

Her son Daniel has witnessed her affairs too (which he was sick over) and he even had to hear Nina ripping his mother a new one over Ronan. 

Now with (Jacks) his brother whom she belittled others for sleeping with their BIL(Sharon) and she did the same but went further.

She had her part in breaking up Jack and Billy cause if she had a conscience she would have not even stood anywhere near Billy knowing it's Jacks brother.

Not to mention the lack of having any morals, tact, class or respect and risk getting caught having sex with Billy at Jabot cause they would have sex outside his door???? WTF? Who does that? 

I could go on and on but they seem to want to whitewash Phyllis as she was recast but the fact remains she has done horrific things and they can BS people that she is different (no more criminal behavior) but it isn't small things she did to people and most know this...Maybe if she was a teen then you could say she changed but not when this character is an old character and has always reverted back to her old ways.  

BTW...With Lauren's approval had they not gotten interrupted she was going to definitely sleep with Scott. So gross, a man who is her BFF's  step-son who almost suppose to be like a son to her? 

• Members

Right? These company SLs involving Phyllis and Billy remind me of people at my work who walk around fast, looking busy, but actually do zero. There is no purpose, no detail, no reality, no direction in any of Y&R's business SLs. Business SLs are incredibly hard to write because you need a great hook to draw in the audience (the subject can be dry!), plus it's an umbrella story so you need to have complete mastery of who is doing what when and what the outcome is going to mean for every single person. Bill Bell was a master in this because he and his wife had worked in different fields and different shows. They were business people themselves and fascinated by the trajectory from decision to implementation to outcome. And they were fascinated by how people are managed -- or not. Bell was also a great storyteller in complete control of his show.

As for Phyllis in her current incarnation -- GT is a strong, vital actress and I wish we could reward talent. But she's not Phyllis and Mal doesn't know what to do with her. She is currently just 'Billy's girlfriend.' I wish we could do a switcheroo where GT goes to play Victoria and AH goes... somewhere else. I think she'd give the character of Victoria oxygen. I also think (as destructive as she was back-stage in getting people fired and demanding her pairings and cherry-picking SLs), Michelle Stafford is the only recognisable Phyllis. Maybe because she invested so much of herself in the role.

• Members

I loved her...she played Phyllis as a force to be reckon with...and you could buy her Phyllis running over Chris and Paul.  Stafford sometimes played Phyllis as flaky and quite frankly I was surprised her Phyllis knew how to drive.

I think GT plays Phyllis closer to Santa's bersion...not quite as deadly..but can snarl and is more sardonic then goofy.  A shame she's being wasted as just Billy's girlfriend...did Sally Sussman use her more?  I can't recall.

• Members

Yes, Phyllis is despicable. I'm not disputing that. Just disputing that comment about affairs and families to justify the show writing her to do more cheating. Lol

I don't think they are whitewashing her either. How can they be when she's actively shacked up with Jack's brother whom she had an affair with. 

• Members

This is the heart of the matter. Most of what made Phyllis Phyllis was MS' acting ticks and style. Without it, Phyllis is just another run of the mill white female in daytime. They are almost indistinguishable from each other and the genre is oversaturated with them. 

• Members

TPTB to the Y&R audience:

"LOVE MARIAH. ROOT FOR MARIAH." 

This is so ridiculously heavy that viewers have no other option but to side with her. There is room for nothing else. Well, at least it's not Hilary under the bus this time. Devon, Tessa, and Noah are now taken to the gutter. 

Since Cane laid his baby in her arms months ago. It's just being ramped up to the 1000th power. 

Archived