Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From everything I see, AH seems to love this story. You're projecting. This is scripted to prop Bill. 

Lauren is written like every heroine this show has. But the entire point of it all, imo, was to get Phyllis back in the Abbot fold. Give her a reason to interact with Jack and Ashley on a daily basis. Folks need a reason to interact. At least a Sally realizes that much. 

• Members

SS loves Gloria, and apparently she wrote her this time the same way she was written after the poisoning of Jabot product that got John sent to prison. She seems to let Gloria get caught but the hammer doesn't seem to drop on her hard for some reason.

• Members

You say that and yet, he's not as central to it as people insist at the moment, IMO.

We have to stop calling every story that features different characters "propping" - it's a word we overuse all the time now online when it often just describes basic story/character mechanics. Most soap stories, throughout history, serve multiple plot and character functions, like fixing a character or shoring up a damaged couple while building new things, and it's not a dirty word. It becomes that when it damages something else. I don't see Victoria being damaged anymore than she already is, and while I personally don't like how she treats Reed we can't say she's exactly leaping back into a relationship with Billy. I see more of Victoria and Reed lately than I do him with them, but even so I don't mind him with them because it makes a reasonable amount of sense for him to play the role he does. There's propping and then there's fair use, so to speak.

• Members

I know the difference between fair and balanced story and when writing is desperately trying to get viewers to love a character. I'm not stupid. 

When you've got to ask whether a said actress is disliking the story because of how negatively her character comes across, then I'm fairly certain that the character does look worse than normal. So, my current use of the word propping does apply. Just as it applied the other times I used it. I'm not stupid. 

• Members

Yeah, you said it twice.

Here's a question about 'desperation': Is Billy saving people from burning buildings or plane crashes? Is he solving crimes? Or is he just being a talk-to for Reed and Victoria and a helluva lot more low-key than he was last year? Because there's a range here.

Same thing goes with literally anyone in the Fenmore's storyline, BTW. Phyllis appears for maybe a third of the airtime devoted to it lately and people say it's all her story.

• Members

Don't confuse Sally and Kay with MAB and Pratt. I don't expect burning buildings and grande theatrics. Billy isnt an action hero. And that's not Sally's style anyway. 

I haven't seen anyone complaining about phyllis in this story. Gloria, sure. But I do get your point. However, that's not what I'm doing here. 

I think we can all look around the canvas and easily pick out the characters Sally is aiming to fix. Billy is certainly atop the list. Next to doting grandpa victor. 

And I said it twice cause I thought it needed repeating. You're lecturing patriarchal tone is very offensive. 

• Members

I don't disagree. I just don't see much wrong with how they're choosing to do it.

And I've seen complaints about basically anyone but Lauren and four walls being in the story. Do I think she could be more proactive, yes. Do I think she's an afterthought? Nope. She's doing a lot.

I feel my tone is less patriarchal, more bitchy myself. That being said, no, you didn't need to say it twice, or at least I personally don't think it has the effect you think it does.

• Members

What's wrong with fixing characters? MAB/JFP/Pratt did a lot of damage. Many viewers have followed our long-term core characters for decades, they should be restored rather than thrown out. You can get rid of newbies that were born of the bad writing, but the viewers have an investment in those that have been around awhile.

I'd like see bad ret-cons fixed rather than ignored too. Sally ignoring the connection between Lauren & Jill is confusing. If she doesn't like the sister connection ret-con the ret-con. I'd also like Kay's Will repaired/amended into something Kay actually would have wrote.

• Members

The Victoria, Nikki & Reed scenes were really good. The rest of the show was terrible.

I appreciate what Y&R is trying to do with Lily & CK is even somewhat trying, but Cane drags the whole thing down.

Paul & Cricket remain underused and Dylan is a waste of time.

• Members

Lauren/Jill - certainly Jill would have a vested interest in helping Fenmore's - so from what I've read (I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago) - she's barely been noted. Like Jill, who has B&S and CI, wouldn't float a loan or make some investment in 'her family' business? I think this is a sign that they are going to change the relationship. 

And Kay's will was just bizarre considering that Kay has living children and many others who were important in her life aka Nikki and Jill. Devon and Mac getting equal shares would've made sense since they both have living parents (Devon - actually three). I really hope Bryton can get a meaty story that can define his character - the inheritance did nothing to achieve that. In fact, why can't Neil and Devon form a business (forget this foundation stuff) or maybe use GCBuzz as a launching pad for a media business? 

Archived