Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know I have a hard time taking story as it comes. I haven't just sat back and enjoyed a ride since Jason Quartermaine had his accident and was turned into Jason Morgan. That still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But I am actually doing that with this Hevon story. The catalyst being a trip notwithstanding, the writing and acting have been very good. Hevon is fun to watch.

Definitely not set up correctly. Lol

• Members

I've really enjoyed the Devon/Hillary scenes and overall the breakup has been good thanks to Bryton and Mishael really giving stellar performances. The Devon/Jill scenes were very good and was the best part of the episode. 

The Cane/Lily scenes on the other hand....

Please register in order to view this content

....the dialogue and make-out session made them sound like are still in teenage angst. Just dreadful!

Chelsea should have left with Adam but I won't bring that back up. 

• Members

Why not? It makes perfect sense. Devon was not born into wealth like Nick, Abby, Victoria, Billy, or Summer. They all take it for granted and have grown up learning how to handle money. With Devon it's like winning the lottery. It's all new to him.

Not only that, he hardly knew Kay. He was never a part of her family, and he knows no one else in it. He was given the money but with no guidance like Victor, and Jack, provide their families with. Devon's best connection to Kay and their family it is through Jill.

+1

• Members

Another way to boost the "reluctant billionaire" story for Devon would be if he had some family to bounce off of other than Jill. Maybe a recast Chance or even Mac who had relationships with Kay. While they may not be interested in the money, they could resent him because Katherine gave the majority to him and he hardly knew her. I think that's the hardest part with writing Devon because he's a member of the Winters family and interacts with them mostly, but they use his Chancellor ties heavily in the writing and he doesn't have anybody from that side for perspective. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing. I don't think Mac will ever return since they can't seem to replicate Ashley Bashioum's success in the role. It's a shame Melissa Claire Egan wasn't Mac because she would've been perfect in that role. 

• Members

I agree about needing Chancellors. But I can't imagine how they'd write chance or Mac resenting devon for getting money when it's not about money. They both got hundreds of millions a piece. They'd just look greedy and it's not in eithers character to be that way. They could make it about devon being a part of the family in general. But then you've got to worry about the optics of that being that he's a decent guy. They have no reason to dislike him. He's not some con man like Cane who came in and tricked her. 

Maybe they could bring back Roxy and pair her with Chance. Let that be the catalyst fot theot animosity. Then afterwards, anything would probably fly  cause it'd just be seen as them competing. I'd use Roxy instead of Hilary cause she's slept with enough of Devon's relatives and been responsible for enough family problems for him. 

• Members

Chance and Mac definitely don't need the money, but what I mean is more about how they had such a close relationship with Katherine and Devon didn't and he feels so lost. They could develop a rivalry or sense of jealousy based on that insecurity Devon has about not earning the money or knowing Katherine well. And I LOOOOOVE your idea of bringing Roxy back and putting her with Chance. Her blackness prevented her from being a full character, but Tatyana Ali was good in the role. Regardless of the story I wouldn't be against her returning as a real character. 

• Members

It'd make more sense for devon to be jealous of them if that's the story. He could feel like they have a part of Kay that he never will. If they did go that route, I fear the hatred for devon from the audience will be vitriolic. 

I don't think it was Roxy's blackness that prevented her from story so much as it was being tied to devon's triple threat of being a young black male that limited her. The show just wasn't interested in him. But that has changed it seems. 

• Members

It sure does seem that way, especially showcased in his scenes this week and yesterday in particular.  They are really giving the character a lot more dimension and Bryton is delivering, IMO.  

And I love that Mishael (like you said earlier) appears to be one of Sally's stars.  

Please register in order to view this content

Archived