Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I thought so too. While I never want Jill to lose her edge, like Katherine did, it's nice to see her play the matriarch once in awhile.

It should be Chance , not only because GC needs another young man, but because bringing Mac back requires casting a whole family. Also Chance has the Chancellor name. Chancellor should be more than a park or the name of a mansion. 

For maximum drama Chance should be paired w/Hillary. We know she's into name recognition like the Abbotts. She could be Mrs Chancellor for awhile.

Not feeling like part of the family isn't going to trump billions of dollars that Devon received over the others. Trying to portray Devon as the poor little rich man wouldn't work.  We already saw that fail badly with Tucker/Kay. No one felt sorry for Tucker he was too wealthy. Had he been poor, the audience would have sided w/him against Kay.

They should have an addendum to the Katherine's Will story, one that would even things between family members. It wouldn't have to take anything away from Devon. The wealthy often have overseas bank accounts or investments. Her investments can come to fruition and be distributed. Katherine would never distribute her fortune heavily favoring just one heir anyway. It looks bad on her, especially in the case of the Phillips where she really did them wrong by murdering their father/grandfather. Katherine's Will should have had some sort of redemption in it for her. The writers can fix this, and at the same time stimulate future story. The mess the old writers wrote was designed to make everything Chancellor disappear, and that they did.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally seems to have changed. I also think the show is writing to Bryton's strengths these days. He's definitely delivering. He and Mishael Morgan are really carrying the show at the moment. I am not as invested in anything else going although I enjoy the stories. 

I was invested in Dylan's departure  before they veered off into Miami. I was invested in Lauren possibly losing Fenmore's until they inserted Gloria and made it mostly about her antics. Reed was interesting until it became clear it was about pushing Billy Abbot, Man of the Year! 

• Members

I don't think the Reed or Fenmore's stories are as much about Gloria or Billy as they definitely could be. I think they balance the latter SL out with Lauren/Phyllis teaming up a lot, and angles like Ravi and Ashley (who I love together).

My biggest problem with the Reed story - and it's still relatively minor, frankly - is the anachronistic touches like paying for pr0n and the fact that either Heinle or the scripted Victoria or both treats Reed like she took in some juvenile felon. The kid is not that much of a problem child and everyone sees it but her.

• Members

Gloria may not be hogging the screen-time, but her presence is so over-the top, she feels like the center of the story. I love a little fun and humor in a dramatic story, but she brings in a circus atmosphere. Who would believe Jack & Gloria are dating? Gloria growling? Yuck. It wasn't cute, it was more like a cartoon

• Members

I'm definitely on the same page with Dylan.  I was so feeling that story until the Miami bs.  I'm still hanging on with Lauren for the moment.  But the Gloria aspect has most assuredly taken some of the air out of the sails there.  

I like the actor cast as Reed, so again, I'm still hanging on.  Yesterday in particular (and last week with the cc) showcase your points with that story.  It's not like he's a complete hell raiser.  He's doing things any 15 year old would do - the line "I'm ready to have sex" definitely seemed out of place, but again I wonder if it was supposed to be more blurted out in the heat of the moment vice a line in the sand.  To your other point - are these acting choices that AH is making or is it written that Victoria is treating Reed like a stranger, an untrustworthy bebe kid?  If they could work those kinks out, and lessen Billy's teenageboy whisperer role, it could be better.

• Members

I'm fine with the kid playing Reed. Heinle and the occasionally stilted story is the problem for me. I don't think Billy is nearly as showcased of late.

I don't mind Gloria's machinations provided she doesn't get away clean.

• Members

Oh I disagee. I think Roxy suffered from just being black herself. Same with every other black character instead of Lily, who was treated as white. I still am upset with how they botched Malcolm's recasting then had those raggedy returns for Olivia like she was a damn extra. In one or two episodes Brad Bell wrote Tonya with more respect than LML or MAB did. Every single returning star was showcased under MAB except Tonya Lee Williams and that was just shameful to me.

• Members

The show at least paid lip service to black characters. They pretended to want to showcase every woman Neil was paired with. Roxy didn't even warrant that. The only difference between her and those other black characters was whom she would have been bringing story to, i.e. Devon...as opposed to Neil. I truly think that was the difference. 

He didn't have an entrance story let alone an exit. 

• Members

I'm glad you mentioned Ravi and Ashley! Many have been negative on that story, but I LOVE everything about Ravi. For one, the actor is FANTASTIC, secondly it's so rare you have an Indian actor cast so I appreciate that as well. I view this as the beginning for him and eagerly await his future in Genoa City. I long for him to get a sister or parent on the show. I don't necessarily want him dating Ashley, but I like the flirtatious and think he softens her up and adds something to the Jabot dynamic in a way Natalie didn't at Newman.

SMH, I forgot about that foolishness. That right there showed their agenda. You bring back the child of a LEGACY CHARACTER as a fricking doctor when you killing someone every month at the time and he's an under five? Bye with that foolishness. Nate should be Stitch at the very least, the town doctor, but he also deserves a relationship and to be integrated in his family. That was shameful.

• Members

They are really making Victoria look like a damn fool right now.  Her son is 15 years old and she doesn't want him learning about protection?

Please register in order to view this content

The only way this story makes sense is if it's going to be a PSA about pregnancy or STD's.  I do give them credit for mentioning Victoria's history as the reason why she wants to stop Reed from making the same mistake she did.

Archived