Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Sharon searching/re-uniting with her Dad would be good.Doris would have to be a part of this.

Realistically,adding her dad to the cast probably wouldn't happen(too old) but a 6 month story would give the character a break from the craziness. Sharons dad could be dying and she finds she has a younger sister/brother to take care of.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always wanted this story to occur. Sharon needs a good arc that doesn't consist of a man she's vying for, for a good six months. 

Using the show's history, I did a little fanfic a long time ago where Sharon's dad panned out to be Michael Scott, the man who Victor had in his basement decades ago. I had it where Doris and Michael met in a nearby town shortly after the character left the show (Michael that is), the two had a short affair, and Michael left Doris high and dry before Sharon was born. Though Sharon was curious to know who her father was, a bitter and angry Doris opted to never bring up his name or give Sharon a clue who he was. When Sharon got involved with Nick as a teen, Doris quickly realized that Victor had a rocky history with Sharon's dad and it further made her conceal her secret. 

I had Sharon leave town for a stint, being over Genoa City, and landing a job at Prentiss Industries in NYC. There she'd meet Chuckie (Snapper's son) and they'd become friends. Jennifer (Snapper's daughter) would be Sharon's therapist and during the many sessions, Sharon's interested in finding her dad ignites. Sharon would go home long enough to dig up a photo of Doris and Michael together (without Doris knowing), and Sharon would use that photo to start her search. Chuckie, Snapper, Mariah, and Noah would help in the search. When Victor gets wind of the photo and sees Michael Scott is in it, he becomes guilt-ridden and does his best to try and squash the search. He doesn't care to see this man again, or bring up his dark past again. 

Sharon would experience many dead ends with Chuckie at her side, thus gradually setting the foundation for a slow burning romance between the two. After her numerous dead ends, Sharon would eventually find Michael in Canada and the two would bond along with Sharon meeting her half-siblings. Sharon originally has mixed feelings--jealously and joy, but it is Chuckie, who knows what it is like to have a blended family, who'd help Sharon bury her jealously and accept her new family. Michael would return with Sharon to Genoa City much to the chagrin of Victor and Doris. Michael while he'd secretly tell Victor that bygones are bygones, Michael would secretly be plotting a demise to Victor, who wronged him and his daughter. 

I'd keep Michael around for about 3-6 months of him targeting the Newmans (i.e. turning Noah & Faith against them with what Victor did to him, ruining business deals, etc.) and bonding with Sharon. He'd also be an advocate for Sharon/Chuckie. Especially, now that Nick is back to sniffing around Sharon. Sharon and Chuckie would eventually become engaged, and Nick, knowing that Chuckie might be the one man to take Sharon from him for good, wants her back. Even Victor, who didn't care for Sharon at one point, is fearful of losing Sharon within the family unit. Michael's return has sparked insecurity in Victor, as he once has a father/daughter bond with Sharon. 

On Sharon's wedding night to Chuckie, Nick would have an epiphany that he wants Sharon back. Not on Michael's watch. He'd pop a bullet in Nick, shooting him in head and leaving him for dead. As the wedding carries on, Nick is found by someone and is rushed to the hospital. Chuckie is called in to perform surgery on Nick, the man who wants his wife; however, Chuckie stabilizes Nick, who is in a coma. Michael, now fearful that Nick will snitch on him once he awakens, comes to the conclusion that it is time to take Victor out. Michael would hold the remaining Newmans hostage in a siege where he'd blame Victor for causing him to lose Julia. In return, Michael would pop a bullet in Nikki. An eye for an eye. As Nikki bleeds out on the floor, Victor pleads with him to let his family go so Nikki can get medical help. Nope! Michael wants Victor to feel his pain. 

In the meantime, the rest of Genoa City would be down in Newman Industries parking lot, where the siege is taking place, and Sharon, Mariah, Noah, and Doris would convince Paul to allow them all to enter and talk Michael down. Another gunshot would go off as Michael has now shot Victoria. Paul complies with their plan and allows them in the building. Just as Michael is about pop one in Abby, Doris wheels into the room and inadvertently takes the bullet for Abby. As everyone goes into an uproar over Doris dying, Sharon tries persuading her father to give her the gun. 

Michael feels remorseful for killing Doris and considers giving Sharon the gun but doesn't. Once again, he blames Victor. He pops one in Victor. Michael apologizes to Sharon for not being there for her and hopes she one day forgives him. Michael tosses himself from the top story window of Newman and falls on Paul's police car killing himself. 

Victor, Nikki, Snorboria, and the frat boy would all live though even though they all have near death moments. 

• Members

I just watched the entire Friday episode.  I'm a puddle.

This was very well done, from Lauren/Eric/Jack to Nikki/Dylan and especially Sharon/Dylan.  Nadia's theme playing through the flashbacks and Dylan walking away with Sharon watching from the door until he fades away...wow.  Just. Wow.

Sally really did make SB/Dylan likable.  All it took was some investment in the writing.  Imagine that.  All the stunts under JFP and UpChuck would have never resulted in Dylan being such.  

Bravo, Mal & Sally.

• Members

if it's on the page and tells a narrative, and you have actors and actresses who can pull it off, it can all work out. of course many will complain for whatever reason, but they still sit there and watch the entire show. they went a ways in fixing Sharon, gave Nikki her time with Dylan, and did what soaps normally do with characters that have been written poorly...fixed his writing, allowed Steve to leave the show, left the door open and pushed story going forward without Dylan. now the writing is starting to take shape. I'm excited for what's to come. 

• Members

Hopefully SS continues to rebuild Sharon's character and I hope this will include building her character outside of a romantic relationship, which has been missing for quite some time.

The Dylan undercover story had some weak points but what came out of it were some great final scenes between Sharon, Dylan, Nikki and Paul.

Although, I wanted Lauren/Fenmore's to remain fully independent (it would've been interesting to see Lauren actually have to talk to staff and possibly layoff a few people and how she would deal with it-possibly, later, down the road to be able to re-hire them when the company was on solid footing) but I can also see storyline possiblities for a merger between Fenmore's and Jabot.  And at least, she kept 51% of the company.

Phyllis and Jack have solid combative chemistry, Ravi would have more to do professional, hopefully there will be some options for Lauren's character. I'm hoping this is the beginning of a storyline, as it has not been a complete storyline as of yet.

Well, at least Nick's dive bar, The Underground, got some use.  I didn't mind seeing the 40-55 somethings partying, still it was strange to see the almost complete absence of representation from the group of characters most likely to know what EDM is. Those party scenes would have been greatly strengthened by the of Mariah, Fen, Hillary, Devon, Chloe, Chelsea, Abby and Summer. Bonus points for Reed trying (and failing) to sneak into his uncle's club.

But the quiet moments, the conversations and the character (re)building have mostly been good, save for one case of being a bit too 'on the nose' *coughs* Victor.

• Members

So when are the Abby and Summer recasts coming? I'm getting impatient. If anyone can make those characters relevant it's SS and KA. 

I still think that Kate Mansi would make a great Abby. Summer can just go away for a year. 

• Members

It might be interesting to see Victor genuinely try to retire or do something else.

In the end, he'll probably want to go back to business even on a part-time basis (maybe remain on the board of directors or something), but to see him make an earnest attempt to step away, play golf (and chuck the golf clubs after he decides he has no patience for the 'damn game') or engage in a pursuit with Nikki, maybe to cheer her up after Dylan's departure leaves her depressed.

It would be funny if he decides he wants to take 'bond' with Nick- (he mentioned how he kind of envied the buddy relationship that Nick and Noah had)- by getting Nick to go on a series of excursions that don't quite work out (he takes Nick fishing only to discover that Victor has no patience for this 'damn thing'). Maybe Nick convinces him that it's alright that they have a different relationship than he has with Noah. Victor, realizing he's from a different generation agrees.

In the past, writers have tried (and mostly failed) to give Victor these big, sweeping cathartic storylines (only to have him revert back to type) but in Victor's case, it may actually be okay to do bits here and there, have Victor take his time and come to the decision gradually, while they focus on other characters for awhile.

SS is really good at creating those minor moments, delivered in conversations and it may be good to do that and hold off on any grandiose storylines for Victor for awhile, until they find a storyline that makes sense for him. In the meantime, maybe create smaller, more intimate moments for Victor to delve into until he (i.e. SS) decides what Victor's purpose is going to be.

Archived