Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Why do I have feeling that Jack/Lauren pairing is in our future.... If so, at least there is history, and would be somewhat believable. I'm still optimistic Sally and the crew will get the show in a place where I'll want to start watching it again. In retrospect, the damage done by the previous regimes to the characters and their circumstances was far worse than I thought. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess he's trying to emote a complex range of emotions. *shrugs* 

The only way this exit storyline could be saved is if they had a major surprise twist like, Carl Williams surprising Paul to say that he's been using his professional connections with the police departments to check up on him and he offers his help to Dylan in forging a new identity (remember Carl did essentially the same thing).

At least that would kind of be interesting and a surprise. Something.

Whatever happens (or doesn't) to Dylan from here on out, at least Sharon is spared from blame for it.

• Administrator

Tomorrow's last scene is a 6 minute scene with just two characters talking, and there was hardly any background music.  I thought the acting, writing, and directing were all really good.  You just don't see these type of scenes anymore.  Kudos to Sharon Case, Steve Burton, Mal Young, SSM, Natalie M. Slater, Janice F. Esser, and Sally McDonald. It was the best scene from the new regime, IMO.

• Members

Great.  They really need to put some personality into the scripts.  Her tenure so far has been extremely bland, reminds me of when Harding Lemay came back to AW in 1988 before the writer's strike.  I'm pulling for Sally.  Sara Bibel's scripts have been the highlight.  I almost make it through an entire episode of hers.  Love long scenes!  Marland used to do it.  I don't get why the shows insist on doing these 2 minute scenes. Days blew it with the Abby reveal to Chad episode with all those short scenes,  Marland would have taken up the prologue and act 1 with the two of them confronting one another. They lose so many possible story and character beats!  Go Natalie/Janice/Sally

• Members

With the writing and directing combination you've mentioned, I have little doubt it will be a great watch.

While the flash and razzmatazz of the last couple of years are not there anymore, that's not what made Y&R what it was and was not in its identity (I use that word carefully as I appreciate the world is faster, less patient and with more options now). In depth, character-probing and psychological scenes are. I also appreciate that my preferences don't accord with a lot of people (and the all important rating may take a dive over time) but I like that/this kind of writing and will watch as long as it's put out there.

So if a final scene takes 6 minutes, then I imagine as much of the above would have been wrung out of it and I'd be as engaged as anyone else gripped by the effects of a snowstorm, an explosion or the tense, shouty scene after a scandalous reveal. 

I appreciate any writer/team who puts that level of trust in their audience.

• Members

Well, even though I think the storyline could be much much better, I admit the Fenmore's story is making some impression on me because every time I read of a clothing retailer closing, I think of Fenmore's and how relevant it still is to write about the struggles of a retail clothing store/boutique.

And Wet Seal is clearly no Fenmore's, LOL!

• Members

WTF!  Interrupted for Trump's news conference.  Grrr.

I guess I'll have to watch on Pop this evening.  I was digging it up until now. 

MTS, DD and SB shared some fabulous scenes together.

Great post, completely agree.  I can't wait until I get to see the rest of the show.  

• Members

Yeah that was really sad, and that episode was done so well. When they started showing the flashbacks of them I got CHILLS. 

They are dropping anvils about Sharon's father I noticed too. When Sharon started talking about how everyone leaves her life starting with her dad. I really hope this is going to be her new storyline. I think it would be great!

Archived