Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

I see you guys misunderstood my complaint about the evil looks. Of course she should be giving folks she is having spats with side eyes. But that evil grin behind Devon's back after he had moved heaven and earth for her was unnecessary. I am the biggest  Hevon stan around and I am at the point where I think Devon deserves an honest relationship with a woman who actually loves him. Break them up and let her scheme on and make a fool of someone else. Oh wait, I guarantee the show won't have her treat anyone else like this. Definitely not a Newman or Abbot.

I think the show has decided to turn Billy into Adam. And that is all I will say on JT and his portrayal

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

they're a sliver of the total Y&R audience, which, judging from the ratings, appears to be quite happy, or at least willing to go along for the ride. How do you account for so much upset on social media? 
Phelps:
 If you've been watching Y&R for years or even decades—40-plus years in the case of some of our viewers—you feel a real sense of ownership. Most will go along for the ride, even when you take a sudden, unexpected right turn. They're happy to do it. But social media has unleashed a lot of people who play "Gotcha!" especially when it comes to the history of Y&R. They want to see us stay within a certain comfort zone, but if we don't take chances, if we don't do things outside that comfort zone, then we're robbing our audience of the opportunity to get excited about the show in a whole new way. We can't become risk averse and afraid of audience reaction. I'm not saying the fans aren't really important or what they think doesn't matter. I'm saying that if we are afraid to do something because of potential blowback then you just get the same old thing you've gotten before.

And this new way of doing things needs to be seismic?
Phelps:
 Seismic gets attention. Safety gets you nothing.
Pratt: It stirs up the audience and sometimes that negativity is a vote to keep going forward. Yeah, they hate it but they're watching. When I hear that they want the status quo, that they want to see a certain couple stay happy—"We love to see them together, keep it going!"—then I'm thinking, "There go the ratings." Social media is finally giving people a voice, people who have been sitting frustrated in their living rooms, and now they can get it all off their chests, and other people will read it. It attracts a lot of newer viewers. When we do something controversial or take a character to a new, different place, I want to hear from the longtime viewers.

this was from 2015 JFP interview with Logan

in jills world an angry viewer is an invested one.

• Members

I'm not trying to be confrontational but I don't get it. I'll explain. Many people say they like Hilary as a vixen but then seem to want her to stop acting like it. How does that work? There are many other characters who scheme, make faces, and manipulate behind another's back. That is a soap. Yet when Hilary does these things, it's a problem. If you want her to be the troublemaker (yes, with some good as well), that's what I think has been playing on screen. When Hilary was talking to Jack, she was being genuine. When she freaked out over the house purchase, she was genuine. When the agent gave her his card, you could see that Hilary is starting to realize her worth. But then if she makes one cold stare or picks a fight, she's considered evil. I just don't see it. If another character did this, like Phyllis or whatever, I don't think anything would be said. Most of us would go with it. And most of all, we'd say it's in character. Again, this is just my opinion. Not starting something. All in all, Hilary is one of my fave characters on the show. MM brings it!! 

• Members

While that may be how some people feel about it, that is NOT me. My point is that I hate how she is written to treat Devon, who doesn't deserve it. That relationship has zero rooting value. Absolutely none and I no longer see why they are together. He doesn't like her and she doesn't like, love, or respect him. If they are going to write her as genuine with Jack then got help me, let her be with old man Jack. I want see Devon with a woman who loves him. Hilary, as written, does not. Simple as that. And I know that this is a be careful what you ask for situation because there isn't one woman on canvas I would want to see Devon with. But I like that character. Always have. He deserves better than the way Hilary treats him. With that said, I love MiM and I do like scheming Hilary. She is fun to watch.

• Members

I respect that. I love the character of Devon too ever since he first joined. I actually think he does love Hilary. He may be frustrated by her sometimes but I actually think he shows that he loves her. He admits that the way she is, is part of the reason he fell for her. I find them to be a dynamic couple and I can see the writers fleshing their relationship out. Even though I disagree a bit with what you're saying, I understand what you mean.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Oh, I agree. I never disputed Devon's love for Hilary. He loves her. But at this point, I don't know why. I saw them trying to explain it. I see what they are trying to do but didn't resonate. They need to at least have Hilary treat Devon well. Bottome line, just bothers me to see a decent man turning himself in knots for a woman who seemingly could care less about him unless she is getting what she wants. In full disclosure, if she was doing this to anyone else I wouldn't even care. Many men on this show deserve to "get theirs" from a woman (Billy, Victor, Nick), but not Devon. Don't like it.

I am just watching Thursday's show. I really enjoyed it. The dialogue is still lacking IMO but it was an entertaining hour.

Was Cane pulling out his sexy voice for Ashley? O_O

Those talking kids are very cute.

• Members

I thought the odds were stacked against DT for so many reasons. AH being upset was one, but the re-casting was so sudden, smack in the middles of the climax of the story line. It threw me right out of the story, and I was looking forward to his arrival. Add to that he was made up to look horrible. I realize he had just had a car  accident, but one day there was a handsome, strong Billy, the next day he was weak, whiny, and pathetic looking. He wasn't  the cute guy I remembered Jill raising way back when. The affair w/Kelly was so depressing. Nothing he could done would have made a difference, he was being written to fail.

That said, I love JT in the role. He's an excellent actor and actually feels like Jill's son. I didn't care for the Phyllis story line but I've liked him with everybody so far...Jack, Vicki,Tracy, Ashley, Chloe

• Members

I LOVED today's episode. It was nice to see all the Newmans interact like that even though it's weird that Victoria would not have been invited or mentioned. Ha. 

I loved all of the Brash and Sassy scenes especially Cane and Billy's confrontation. Billy knows what's up and is still playing victim. It was nice seeing Cane tell it like it is. Interested in seeing what's going on with Victoria. 

I'm guessing Jill is the one who showed up at Jack's office. If yes, can't wait to see them go head to head.

This was a really strong episode from start to finish. 

Btw Can someone explain to me what went down with Noah over the last year? And what happened to Marissa as well? I thought the character of Marissa had so much potential.

• Members

There was too many people at Summers birthday party that I didn't care about but it was nice to see more of that softer side to Victor.

It seems like Nick and Phyllis will be sharing more scenes again in the near future and I know it's going to bother me but whatever, I'll go with it. So far I don't see much chemistry between them but maybe that can change. They'll have to find a new way to "reboot" the Nick and Phyllis relationship because if they write for them the way they used to when MS was in the role it won't work. For example, I can't imagine GT's Phyllis playing video games with Nick on the sofa. 

• Members

I actually like seeing GT a blonde again I thought she looked good with it years ago when she first joined Guiding Light it was a startling surprise to see Phyllis not be "Red". 

The Newman scenes were nice and it was actually nice to see Noah still holds a grudge against Victor. "Marissa is out of town" GEE I wonder why although the show should snag back Pernas since her show didn't work out. 

Overall the show does feel like it's improved on the day to day basis in the first week and a half and hell watching Mariah's fall was more entertaining than anything that was on Y&R back in the month of June. It's going to be a long term commitment though and I certainly don't hope SSM/Young era doesn't dazzle like Y&R for a honeymoon period then pull the rug out or pull a Josh Griffin and just self destruct on any progress he had made in 2013. 

• Members

NunununuBilly is not working for me at all. I like JT as an actor but Billy's personality has completely changed. He's an arrogant POS and that's not who Billy is.  

Agreed!

Btw where is the quote feature??  This new format for the board sucks....no spoiler tag and no quote feature...just awful!

Archived