Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

Did you ever get a chance to watch Cassie in 2003? It was GREAT stuff. Cassie in a coma and pissed off Sharon abandoned the family when she woke up, Cassie trying to figure out who Frank exactly was. Cassie going on dates without Sharon's approval or Sharon trying to meet Cassie's boyfriend while Cassie blabbing she was 13/14 years old. The show made it out at Cassie was too immature for the Collen/JT/Daniel/Lily/Kevin/Sierra group but hell she was the future of Newman just as Phillip IV was the future of Chancellor. Oh and killed her off for a failed ratings and Emmy stunt backed up with a failed stunt of a return of Sheila Carter. That's how Y&R screwed us over ever since. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've noticed him too

Please register in order to view this content

but I have no idea the actor's name

I never found Cassie to be annoying like most soap kids. In fact her story with Sharon and Grace at the time in 1998 is what drew me in. Faith's not the worst we've seen but sometimes the attitude they give kids just makes me wish they'd be seen and not heard, it's not that she's not a talented little girl. I was relieved she wasn't the center of attention (or even on) at Summer's party.

• Members

The only thing missing from Friday's episode, sorely missing, was good background music. They started the episode with a trademark Y&R move of having someone arrive in a room and look around for a minute or so, but part of why those used to work was because the cues complimented them so well and built the mood.

The episode was strangely lacking music for most of the scenes, except maybe before the cliffhangers to build tension and, of course, Victor and Nikki playing classical music. That worked nicely because classical music is just as dramatic as Y&R's classic scores but then they played a cheerful piece while Victor was crying about all his kids abandoning Newman and it felt very, very off.

• Members

Killing Cassie off robbed Sharon of an excellent story....which was sharon being overly protective and strict in order to prevent Cassie from getting pregnant as a teen like her....and Cassie could have viewed Sharon's attempts as a subtle way of saying that cassie was a mistake...etc.   #shame

I do think Sharon's issues started with the death of Cassie.

• Members

That would have been beyond amazing, but Y&R stopped doing character-based drama of course. The situation with Cassie was so rich, it gave them 10 years of excellent drama, and could have given that much more -- so, they killed her.

It's not even funny how much it does need it.

Archived