Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

YES!!!! Heck hopefully the episode has the scene too where Eve gave the poisoned champagne to the wrong guy. Last time we had a classic episode actually air was in 2013 with the show reairing Katherine &Jill's attic fight in 1998 and in 2012 rearing Victor and Nikki's 2002 wedding. Before that you'd have to back to 2008 when Christmas 1989 was reaired. 

• Members

I totally forgot about that one! The backstory and setup for Victor and Nikki is so fascinating that a lot of the smaller details get lost in the process. Unfortunately at this moment I think one would see more classic Victor and Nikki watching Michael Keaton's Mr. Mom than anything on Youtube sadly. 

• Members

IA that the classic music cues are needed.  Its still only been a little over a week with the new regime in place, so maybe it's on their radar but the story comes first.  Mal has expressed his desire to return the show to its roots (with modernization), and he's been true to his words so far. I'm willing to give him more time.  

I think there's still a lot to play regarding Cassie/Mariah/Sharon.  Sharon's guilt for giving Mariah up, Mariah not feeling she measures up to "perfect Cassie".  The previous regimes touched on them but there's still meat there IMO.

• Members

I don't love the GC Buzz idea so much - I think it's been trivial and stupid at times...but you could package it at times.  Even say with special "classic" episodes...what if you just had whoever hosts GC Buzz say, "many long time Genoa City residents and locals will remember a story that happened around 35 years ago when Nikki Reed married Victor Newman.  Today we'll go back in time and remember together."  Then show whatever classic episode, and the host could easily film the closing....the opening and closing would take 3 minutes to tape before special episodes....close with "Keep the Buzz going Genoa City. Happy Holidays."   Just an idea....and you could easily have a special episode/classic episode about Cassie, and have Mariah (as host of GC Buzz) introduce it similarly...several years ago Genoa City lost a young girl - her name is Cassie, and I'm her sister, Mariah...today we'll remember....then air the classic episode. 

• Members

Wow. Not just a classic episode, but a classic from 1984. That's wonderful! I never thought I'd see the day. It's good news on a very crappy day.

The episode was surely around 43 minutes, so there's probably going to be some really heavy editing if they still want it to run 36 mins, although that may not be possible with the way scenes were back then, etc. 

Wasn't there also a Christmas or NYE 1998 rerun from 2/3 years back? Most of it got pre-empted, though, which broke my heart! I didn't even remember that they had aired Katherine & Jill's attic fight. 

• Members

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Y&R live since SS's first episode aired. I haven't even FF through the commercials and a couple of nights I watched the episodes again on whichever channel it is that broadcasts it at night, after B&B.

I loved that Nikki went to NY shopping for Christmas. I loved that Victor gave her a present before telling her about the surprise trip, and that the box was wrapped in wrapping paper itself (fancy boxes). I loved it that her first episode focused on the hearts of the characters and I think I teared up about 6 times. There have been so many little touches that I haven't seen in 10 years.

My Y&R is on the way back and I think I can call myself a fan again.

• Members

Yes to both points! I think it's totally feasible for the show to use some of those cues sparsely. I doesn't need to be wall-to-wall but there's a way of incorporating them. I think B&B used to have that right, but they have also gone too far with eliminating the music. As long as the music's gone, these shows will never feel the way they should.

Archived