Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wonderful, thanks for sharing that. Goes to show it's a great idea for a story for Lauren. I don't necessarily agree with the pacing comment -- this pretty much feels like typical Y&R pace -- but I will say that I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the story. 

Oh, I'm not exactly shipping them either. But better writing has given them a better connection. 

I fell asleep just thinking about it. Although I'm sure they'd throw Chelsea under the bus if they were that desperate for story.

• Members

This is not even about pacing, it's about getting the story underway period. 

I'm not talking about plowing through material or rushing things but I think that Lauren should be the driving story right now, not the Newmans with their same custody battles and power struggles.

Most viewers now get the point that SS and KA don't intend to write the Newmans as they'd been written during the previous regime so I think they can pull back on the Newmans a bit (especially Victor!) and put Lauren's storyline in the front seat. Then they can always moderate with hopefully another emerging storyline with some action once we see Lauren once we get closer to "meat" of the Fenmore story.

It's good old fashioned layering of stories and I believe Bill Bell used to do this where you had contiguous storylines that overlapped, some had more focus at different times.

I peeped another board where there were some complaints that nothing was going on. I don't necessarily agree, but I'm sure Y&R wants to retain these viewers while they reorient them to a more deliberate mode of story telling. The easiest way to do this, IMO is to have the Fenmore story be the driving story right now and let the Newmans recede a bit more into the background (not completely but a bit).

Also, even though I know Sharon has some detractors on this board, looking on other boards (I was curious), there still appear to be some discontent that she still seems to be stuck in the same "thrown under the bus" pattern while Victor's personality seems to be getting a makeover very quickly. 

I'm not saying to cater to people's rants and raves (there's already been too much of that on Y&R in recent years) but just consider ways to make sure there is some genuine story movement, even while you rebuild characters.

• Members

For once I was able to watch live (stream), if only to catch the 2nd half of the show.

This is what I mean by too much emphasis on the Newmans right now, especially Victor. ER and AAL have good chemistry but that scene was laid on way too thick.

Maybe it's just me, but part of me was hoping that somehow Faith would somehow telephone Sharon's mother and the next thing we saw would be Faith calling from Grandma Collins' place.

I know that would never happen but this story is in desperate need of something less predictable and less Newman-centric to happen. They need to wrap this up by Christmas- this story is kind of going nowhere right now.

ETA- I mentioned in another post that I thought that Faith was being spread too thin in order to rehabilitate Victor's personality. If today wasn't a prime example of this, I don't know what is!

• Members

The show is boring, but that's what happens when the previous regime didn't create long running stories and was merely a bunch of plot points that were woven together. I've noticed that the show has not been doing well on POP since the transition and it's because there's no urgency to catch it.

Honestly, the huge overreaction by Nick over Sharon wanting Faith to stay nights while Nick is at TU is tedious. And it's funny how Dylan who suggested the idea because Sharon will be alone while he's undercover, has conveniently let Sharon take the brunt. It's an unnecessary story that makes all 3 primaries look bad. If they wanted to prop Victor's new side, they've covered that ground already in recent episodes (talking about his mother and helping Faith with stage fright). Enough. 

I hope we get more Lauren because she brings in a lot of characters into her story (Michael, Jill, Jack, Phyllis, Paul, Christine, etc). I hope they revisit Lauren with Chelsea 2.0. It seems like she'd definitely show up there after the GC Buzz interview, but that was dropped.  

• Members

Nicks overreaction is understandable given Sharon ZKIDNAPPED his son, took him to court to get rights to his son she kidnapped, and days later is trying to get Faith for the entire holidays.  once again Nick is minding his business and Sharon is bringing unnecessary drama.  Crybaby Dylan is trying to stick it to Nick!

• Members

There really isn't anything going on right now. They are familiarizing new viewers to the vet characters with dialogue and flashbacks. The whole Faith stuff of yesterday and now today which I haven't seen yet is rehash boring garbage. How many times has Faith run away? Why repeat this story again even if its for a couple of episodes?? We've seen it before and its played out.

Memo to Sally Sussman and Kay Alden.....Stop giving Joshua Morrow meaty/strong emotion material. He can't and will not ever pull it off. He is an awful actor.

• Members

Well, I actually enjoyed today's show.  Dylan and Sharon actually feel like husband and wife to me when 3 weeks ago they just seemed like roommates.  Nick is coming off like a complete ass.  Sharon was at least showing some remorse in asking Nick for more time with Faith.  Nick has been balls to the walls angry for two days.  I do agree that the Victor stuff was a little overkill.

Pure speculation on my part, but could it be that they're going

Please register in order to view this content

I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy based on how things are going with him and the Newmans and this "incredibly dangerous" assignment Paul has given him.

Lauren was A+.  Ditto Jill.

• Members

The only earthly reason to have Faith run away yet again, is if it had a twist that led to a whole new storyline-- like Grandma Collins calling Sharon to say that Faith is with her, perhaps leading to a storyline where Sharon and her Mother hash out past resentments, which eventually leads to some sort of understanding, and reconciliation.

Otherwise, I don't know why go this route again.  We already know the writers intend for Victor to act differently than the past year. We don't need anymore of these saccharine scenes with Faith.

• Members

Uh how r Shylan showing remorse fpr the kidnapping by wanting Nick to forgo his agreed time with Faith cause Dylan is avoiding Sharon with work and wants Faith to cover for him LOL?  Sharon loses again reading 2morrows recaps

Archived