The Young and the Restless: December 2014 Thread

• Members

I would have liked to see that as well.

For me, both Thursday and Friday were mostly zzzz material. I suppose the only reason I'm watching somewhat consistently is for JH's Adam, GT's Phyllis and Sharon.

Count me as one that hopes "Sage" (ugh) goes away after Adam's reveal. Now that Adam/Gabriel know what happened to his father's company and Victor's involvement, what if Nick or Victoria or Adam himself was the one at the helm of Newman at the time this took place? And I still think that Gabriel isn't really dead, since we didn't actually SEE him die. I hope they aren't planning an Adam vs. Gabriel story.

I've always liked Nick but definitely not digging how he's coming off now.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do recall him saying that some stories need to be plotted in advance in considerable details while some others (like, say, a romance between two characters) are sometimes best left to develop naturally and organically. In the end, he seemed like the kind of writer who most of the time knew were things were going.

Here we go with that again tongue.png

Carl didn't come back until ten years following his supposed death/disappearance (which, surely, can't be considered recent?) and it's not as if he died in front of them in a hospital or something. Besides, it was an almost year-long story that gave Paul, Mary, Carl, Ruth and even Charlie some fantastic material to work with and the only fault I can find with it is that it became too much about Christine (although I enjoyed her finding out first and the process it took for Paul to find out). As for dropping it, well, if anyone 'dropped' it, it was Kay Alden and with that I disagree as well, considering it felt right and was dramatically painful that Carl had a new life, with a woman he loved, and dropping all of that to return to Mary as if it didn't mean anything would have felt like ABC soap circa 2008.

You are judging the show then under today's circumstances. Even in 2003, Y&R still had a strong sense of (social) place, which means random characters didn't interact with random characters just for the sake of it and didn't come into each other's orbit unless there was specific story that dictated it. Also, making Michael into a "resident attorney" completely cheapens him because, even at that point, he was still very hated by most and would never have had reason to take that case or be anywhere near it. He's not Justin from DAYS, for God's sake. laugh.png On top of that, the 'twist' only occurred what? 3, 4 months after Kevin's first appearance? That's about 5 minutes in Y&R time--he would have barely had time for the first beat of his story, let alone interact with Michael!

• Members

It was pretty funny when Nick was thumbing through his digital yearbook at GCAC and saw Gabriel's picture with his nickname of Bingo. What's he going to do, sneak up on Gabriel and yell Hey Bingo! and see what happens? I hope so. I'm ready to move on from the Shick drama.

I liked the scenes between Jack/Adam and Neil/Phyllis. I couldn't help but think how much dialog those actors had to memorize for such long intensive conversations. Usually in the past Y&R has the actors do shorter scenes with punchy short sentences. Jack and Adam had a seriously long scene with tons of dialog and appropriate facial expressions and reactions. Liked it.

• Members

I'm glad Hillary didn't throw out her birth control pills. Last thing we need is a WTD story here.

Phyllis and Neil as friends and confidants feels pretty forced and Gina T seemed a bit lost in the scenes. Currently not here for it.

I do however enjoy Stich and Chelsea's disdain but support for each other when it comes to keeping Snortoria and Billy apart. I hope we get some more scheming scenes with them.

Jack is so bitch made I'm not surprised he caved and is going to cover for Adam. Those were some really great scenes though.

I like the twist of Nick going to school with Gabriel, nice way to keep Adam on his toes.

• Members

I was trying to figure out why GT was so animated in those scenes. I wonder if they are thinking of pairing these two and she is trying to bring a little more life to the scenes to make it work. We know that KSJ has very decided opinions on what Neil needs in his next pairing. Was she doing a Dru impression there? It seemed very much a departure from how she has been playing the role and the few other Phyllis and Neil scenes. It was a little odd.

• Members

It definitely was odd, almost like she got a note from somebody to Stafford it up so she resorted to her old Kelly Crammer acting ticks. I hope they aren't thinking of pairing those two up, she works great with Peter B and Neil needs to be single and playing strictly business storyline once this Hillary and Devon stuff blows up.

• Members

When has Neil ever been single for an extended period of time over the last 11 years? He won't be single. If I didn't know better, I would think they were gearing up for a Dru return (recast). What other reason is there to put Phyllis in Neil's orbit so heavily? There is no foundation for it.

Archived