The Young and the Restless: December 2014 Thread

• Members

They keep trying to make Avery and Dullan some type of anchor couple but

tumblr_mpos8laaqQ1rknrf9o1_500.gif

Same with Summer and her insta husband.

LOVED the Victor and Nikki flashback. Also enjoyed the scenes with him and Chelsea, I missed those two interacting.

Devon giving Hillary an eternity thing should be sweet but they just come off as so skeevy now. Neil needs to hurry up and catch them in the act so I can feel some kind of sympathy and rooting value for them again.

Phack wub.png

The scene with Stitch on the phone with his son was nice, I zoned out during everything else involving him, Snortoria and geriatric Lifetime Movie actor Billy.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Y&R just needs to go back to the drawing board with these two characters. JMO but I've never found either one of them particularly interesting with anyone they've been paired with. I wonder though, if TPTB spent enough time developing each individual character before throwing them into a pairing.

I know some liked Nick and Avery but I was never one of them. It felt like the same baking and cooking scenes were playing out over and over. The baking/cooking scenes might not have been so monotonous had they just gone on ahead and made Avery a pastry chef or something. Then, at least, they could have made it more about passion with her craft spilling over into her personal life, although that too might have gotten old fast.

Had they kept Leslie as a lawyer, they could've had Avery decide to leave the law behind and pursue opening a bakery or even a fine dining restaurant (Y&R has not had anyone since Gina Roma to fill that role, Gloria doesn't count since her taste was dubious) or had she taken over Crimson Lights and decided to make it into one of those upscale bakeries/confectioners like the Magnolia Bakery or Serrendipity in NYC, the character might have had some life.

Still don't know about Dylan.

• Members

Max Ehrich is not under contract with Y&R and just appears when he's asked and happens to be free. I don't imagine he wants to be tied down to Y&R, what with his career taking off elsewhere. That makes it hard to do anything long-term with the character of Fen despite all the potential. Maybe they should recast Fen with a contract player and then work him into more stories.

I agree about Mariah-Kevin. I have always had trouble buying GR as a romantic, heterosexual leading man, even before he came out in real life. He comes off as the gay best friend in his scenes with his female acting partners. Add to that the fact that he is much older than Mariah (not that that's an issue on Y&R), and the pairing just feels wrong. Both GR and CG are fine actors, but they do not make a fine couple.

• Members

SB is just a flat, bland, pretty-boy (or pretty-middle-aged-man) actor with limited talent. It has always surpised me that JFP is so attached to him as her actor buddies tend to be of a higher caliber (A Martinez, Lane Davies, Justin Deas, Rick Hearst, et al). And Dylan shouldn't be dull, considering all the good (on paper) story Y&R has given SB to work with. But zzzzzzz . . . .

I think JC is really a very good actress. But Avery has no qualities that make for an interesting character. She's smart and together and level-headed and fair and moral (well, except for that infidelity thing). That's boring. Give her some flaws, and I think she'll do better. Make her crazy or bitchy or slutty or conniving or anything interesting. Good news for Avery: Chuck Pratt is on his way!

• Members

Bill and Kay wrote classic y and r. What This Christmas spoke to me is what Jean and Shelley wrote is just too smart for tv execs. It's so nice SOD have Y and R most improved show and credited Shelley and Jeans intellectual writing as the creative force behind the improvement. Kudos to them for a memorable 2014.

• Members

Jonnysbro, sometimes I feel bad for all the grief you get on here, but when you call the writing for YR "intellectual" and "too smart for tv execs," I feel like piling on.

Seriously, man, what are you TALKING about??? Yes, YR is in better shape lately, but there's nothing smart or intellectual about the writing -- nothing. You keep repeating that, and it's absurd.

And yes, Max Ehrich has become very good-looking, but that will never make him more than an average actor. I don't see anything special when he's onscreen, and I have major doubts about his career "taking off."

I don't think Greg Rikaart is a fit with Camryn Grimes, either. I agree that Kevin should hook up with another guy. However, I have a hard time with the bashing he takes on this board for playing straight. As long as Christian LeBlanc is flamng and camping it up beyond belief as Lauren's straight husband, it seems unfair to trash Rikaart.

• Members

Steve Burton [or Dylan] doesn't bother me that much anymore. It's the pairing he is in. From day one, he's had the BEST chemistry with Sharon Case. And he still has it with Sharon. That's who Dylan should've been paired with from the start. Not Avery. No one gives a flying f*ck about Avery, hence why the pairing is a flop. While I don't want Sharon to be tied to another default Newman, she would've given Dylan the BEST chance of becoming a mainstay character over Avery. And Nikki protesting Dylan/Sharon would've been more to the canon over Victor's shriveled up ass protesting Sharon and Nick.

Avery and Dylan are just a bore.

Hell, I enjoyed Dylan with Chelsea more than I did with him being with Avery. Also, Dylan would pop more if he gets away from Crimson Lights. He needs a job at Newman-Chancellor, Jabot, GCPD--something OTHER than Crimson Lights. IMO, I hope Joe drives a bulldozer through that mess.

Nowadays, tying a character to a coffee house or restaurant is like the kiss of death. And Crimson Lights is not a beacon like they tried to make it seem on yesterday's episode. Instead, it is the opposite. That coffee house sucks the life out of anyone that owns it minus Sharon and Nick. Recurring characters like Gloria or Anita need to be running restaurants and coffee houses.

And yesterday's episode was hot garbage. I didn't find it cute whatsoever. It was cheap way for us to care about Crimson Lights and I still don't. I'll take the Colonnade Room over this shack any day.

Plus, I didn't care for the show trying to force us to root for Dylan/Avery OR Vic/Stitch. We all know at the end of the day Vic and Stitch is moot as the writers have their minds set on Vic/Billy :rolleyes:.

• Members
Hold up! I don't bash Greg for playing straight. I bash him because he is pasty and scrawny (all things he could change), and all around unattractive because of it. And I resent that he has gotten yet another pairing when the better choice would be Max Ehric based upon any reason that one can think of (I think he is a good actor too). CLB is none of those things for which I complain about Rikaart. Sure he is OTT and that singing yesterday did him no favors, but I see why a woman would want Michael. Kevin, I can't see it.

Archived