The Young and the Restless: December 2014 Thread

• Members

Cyber,

Kevin was onscreen for at least 6 months before the audience learned he was Michael's brother. Really good surprise, long before the internet could ruin it. He walked into Michael's office and it was revealed they were brothers. Quite the Friday cliffhanger. By this time, Kevin had committed so many crimes, the reveal was sure to be a shocker. They managed to keep these two out of one another's orbit until the reveal. Loved it!

As for why this asexual creature is still on the show, I have no idea. The white washing destroyed Kevin! When he finally went to jail, it was for a crime he didn't commit. He was beaten like a wild animal and we were supposed to feel sorry for the child predator attempted murderer. It was so awful even Linden Ashby (Cameron aka the penis Sharon picked up along the way) took issue with it. He said he didn't want them doing that to his character who was clearly irredeemable.

I cannot stomach Kevin, Michael or that nasty mother of theirs!

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a weird situation, but if JFP felt so strongly about her, why didn't she put her on contract? Sullivan is only on recurring. They can still use her a lot, but don't really have a commitment to her.

I wonder what will happen once this Adam storyline boils down. I just don't see Sage and Nick as being anything longterm.

• Members

Beyond Muhney's general skeeviness, the main problem I would have had with this is that Adam had already been established (to me anyway) as a sexual predator. He sexually assaulted a pregnant woman while she was unconscious. The character was truly disgusting, and while I do wonder how the story would have gone if they hadn't been terrified of showing any affection between men, and if they hadn't cast an "actor" for Rafe who looked about 18, I just don't think it would have worked. Not if the handling of it continued to be what it was with the Rafe crap, which was OMG this is shocking what will he do next EW EW OMG!!

I don't think it's just America that is the reason for Y&R's squeamishness, I think Y&R is just a very conservative show (as is B&B ) on many things. They just can't take the risk. They write the topic like something from a TV episode circa 1973.

Emmerdale is, for now anyway, doing a much better job of having a scheming, villainous main leading man who is not painted as being wicked or perverted for sleeping with a man while being engaged to a woman - it's just the same type of affair story most soaps have, with added internal drama over his sexuality.

• Members

The MD had a history of sexually assaulting women while they were unconscious. That's the reason why Adam was able to get him to do dirty work.

They later tried to retcon this and claim that Adam's ex had falsely accused him of this, but even that didn't work, because Phyllis or whoever said they'd gone to Adam's old university and interviewed multiple women who said they were raped by him while they were passed out.

As a result of that, I do think there's a good chance he did the same to Ashley. Even if he didn't, Adam was more than fine with him raping her, given that he called the man over in spite of his past.

Either way, it's just one of many reasons I could never get into MAB fetishizing Muhney's Adam and trying to make us think his behavior was so hot and wicked.

• Members

That Adam story is why I quit watching until MAB was finally put out on her ass. The fetus in the fire poker...I've seen a lot of sick stuff but that was just too much for me. The constant fights on here between MAB defenders and those of us who knew what was up from the jump got really out of hand too.

• Members

I remember those well...sadly that was around the time I first came here and I probably sounded like a lunatic, but her Y&R horrified me from very early on. I remember hearing over and over that Bill Bell had done gothic horror and people should learn to see it in that vein...sorry but I don't believe he ever, ever would have approved of that Adam storyline. Nor would he have written off the real victims of Adam's crime spree as "hypocrites" who just couldn't accept Adam because he was so "honest" and "real."

I think that and the Victor-gets-Colleen's-heart stories would have turned his stomach.

• Members

I remember you laying it all out in the Potpourri threads! laugh.png

Absolute agreement with the bold. I think people were just so excited to be rid of Latham and to have a Bell back in charge that they conned themselves into thinking it was good and what Bill would have done. Honestly I found all of her initial material with Griffith coma inducing (mannish looking Sabrina and the art gallery location shoots? zzzzzzz). Then once the Adam stuff kicked into gear, just no. I still think Engen got a raw deal being pegged as homophobic by MAB, Pigrez Hilton, ole Nellie, and the cronies. The "big game changing kiss" was nothing more than a peg and that twist was just a lame stunt that went nowhere, and he maintained it was the Ashley torturing that made him walk.

Archived