The Young and the Restless: December 2014 Thread

• Members

Go back and read what I said. I said I'd take the Colonnade Room over Crimson Lights. The set is boring and stagnant and needs to destroyed like the Newman Ranch was. We already have the GCAC and Nick's sh*tty club. There is no need for Crimson Lights. That set could be broken down and they could bring back offices at Newman instead. And the characters have TONS of places to run into each other. Newman and Jabot would be a start....

Second, I never said I didn't like Dylan. I said that he was boring with Avery, but he has potential if they'd paired him with Sharon. And I never said that Crimson Lights is a reason. Crimson Lights does not drive story and if Dylan is supposed to be a "story driver" then he needs to be working somewhere that drives story like Newman, Jabot, the GCAC, or GCPD. And this attempt to make CL drive story now is falling flat because most people don't care. CL isn't even at the center of the flop story. It's Dylan and Avery's relationship that is and Joe wanting to wreck it. Again, no one cares about any of them either so it makes the whole storyline irrelevant and moot.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not really. He is a statutory rapist and attempted murderer and, regardless of how many psychos go after him, how many daddy issues he has, or how much the writers want to present him as cute and cuddly (while allowing him to commit many, many more crimes for which he is never held responsible or pays for), he was never redeemed and never will be anything more than the piece of filth that gave LILY WINTERS an STD after he had his way with her and locked COLLEEN CARLTON in a fridge and tried to BURN HER ALIVE (while destroying a classic Y&R set, thankyouverymuch). So as much as I try, I will never not barf when I see him. He should have been gone following the climax of those original stories for good.

No.

• Members

Yep Kevin just doesn't do anything for me with Mariah I don't know how old he is but he asks too immature. He's been married a few times he acts like he' 20 something.

I didn't know GR is gay. I'm also liking Sage what a difference from GH maybe her being introduced as a new character also has something to do with it. I'm wondering is there a Sage/Nik tryst in the works.

• Members
That also bothers me about Kevin. After he was a sexual predator and attempted to murder Colleen, I just don't like them trying to play him in all these cute and quirky romances with women. Ugh!

The only thing that keeps me from wanting him castrated is that they keep him total away from Lily.

• Members

For the life of me I don't understand why they don't write a big coming out story for Kevin and then find him a partner. What are they afraid of? It could be because the show is shown in other countries that aren't accepting of gay people. It could be because they aren't sure of how to handle gay love scenes. It could be because they don't think the aging demographic of soap audiences wants a gay couple because they're thought of as homophobic. It could be because GR doesn't want a gay storyline because he thinks it will cost him his job eventually. Is it pressure from advertisers? It's a risk for sure if only because Y&R has never done it. I think if it was done with compassion, passion and realism a gay coming out storyline could be really entertaining and I say this as someone who doesn't particularly like overt gay love scenes, like passionate kissing and the like. I guess I'm just not evolved enough but two men kissing makes me want to turn away. However, men showing affection for each other and interacting as couples, I'm fine with. I love the gay couple on Modern Family because they are loving to each other while being warm and funny. They are an integral part of Modern Family without the show screaming "look at our gay couple!! did you notice they're gay??". They a regular couple with regular couple issues and I think if Y&R could manage characters like that couple it would be a great addition to the show.

• Members

The issues are related to US viewing, not international. The demo and audience that Y&R draws wouldn't go for a gay storyline. Y&R is trying to emerge from a huge upheaval in terms of cast, etc., they are more likely going to play it safe rather than risking a S/L that the audience really isn't asking for. Honestly, it doesn't matter. Kevin is deadweight on the show, but GR has to be considered a trooper because he has played every stupid S/L he has been given. The only S/Ls I enjoyed with him were with Lily (only because Dru kept using the line "That d*mn Internet!") and Jana - that one really worked on a lot of fronts. I totally bought them as a couple.

• Members

Well most of the shows that Y&R is shown in are WAY more progressive when it comes to homosexuality. Only America [and a few other countries] are still behind on the learning curve.

But IMO, Kevin is a lost cause at this point. As someone earlier stated, this character should've been scrapped once he locked Colleen in that freezer to die. Furthermore, I hate when soaps make characters become 'insta-gay.' I personally find it offensive. I didn't like it when Olivia became gay out of the blue on GL, or Robert now on Emmerdale, or Ste on Hollyoaks, and I wouldn't with Kevin on Y&R. He's been in numerous heterosexual relationships and I don't want his history [even though I don't care for him] to be whitewashed so he can be Y&R's new gay pet.

Being gay is something you are born with. Not a choice. Someone doesn't just wake up and choose to be gay, which I feel is a huge problem with soaps--TV in general. Plus, these writers act like they can't even tell a good gay story all the way through. When they commit, they quickly renege and try and toss the characters back into heterosexual relations.

And with Kevin being a pedophile in the past, I really don't want him to be gay because it'll strengthen right-wing nuts opinions of gays--that they molest and prey on kids, which is so far from the truth. Especially since it's been proven that majority of pedophiles are straight males.

• Members

I have quite a few gay friends, and I've asked them deep questions about their sexuality because I know I can even if they're stupid questions. One of my friends said he could have been born gay he doesn't really know but he fell in love with a guy prior to that he wasn't attracted to men that he could tell.

I asked him so you're saying had you not met that person you would have been heterosexual, he said he doesn't know because he could have fallen in love with his partner if he was a woman. He says his situation seems complexed but he never gave it much thought. He could be bisexual for all he knows...for him he fell in love with a person and he is a man.

All I know is I like well written stories, love stories and it doesn't matter if they are gay or straight. Watching two men in sex scenes doesn't bother me. I've read gays having sex before in fiction they're usually pretty hot. My last one was Quinn and Blay in Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

And I'm in love with Lord John Gray in Outlander, he's the reason I read the books more than Claire and Jamie because his story fascinated me more than theirs. I think Kevin needs some zest even when they made him Michael's brother he just never clicked with me

Did he come on as Michael' brother? I can't remember.

Archived