Y&R: July 2014 Discussion Thread

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't mean to 'pile on' or sound derisive but the short answer is that MCE has levels to her acting that I have yet to see from AH. I haven't seen AH in Loving so I only have Y&R to draw from. I just remember being somewhat flabbergasted when you mentioned that she'd been on the show 10 years (I kept thinking 'Could it really be an entire decade?!) because to me, for 10 years it doesn't seem as if the needle has moved much in terms of her range in ability.

Even though MCE was less than impressive in Y&R in the beginning, I had seen some of her work on AMC so I knew what she was capable of if given good material to work with. Is she like a Julianne Moore who could go from the lovable girl next door to a polarizing vixen type character in the space of a year? No, from what I've seen-- MCE has range but she doesn't have that wide of a range. I can see, though, that it has taken MCE far less than 10 years to show that she can build an interesting character with half-way decent material.

With AH-- from that dreadful reliquary story to the recent times where she's had better stories, I'm not seeing a whole lot for having the benefit of 10 years with the same character. I've never before seen an instance where someone made so little progress in 10 years . Even Jon Hensley who I thought was a deer in headlights when he started on ATWT made commendable progress over 10 years to be competent in the role of Holden Snyder.

• Members

Melissa Egan at least wowed me on AMC. She can't play a heroine and she is boring as !@#$%^&*] on Y&R IMO much like the early Annie was, but she can do work. Amelia Heinle was mildly interesting on AMC in a supporting role but hasn't done really good work since Loving, and there she had writing to back her up.

• Members

I'll agree that MCE is better when she's playing a bad girl. Still, I'm enjoying her. The reaction she had after the conversation with Ben was awesome. She knew she had him right were she wanted him. MCE has a lot of little moments like that. I enjoy actors who do something other than rote, by the book reactions.

• Members

Having mainly watched Y&R over the years, I feel I know about the Bill Bell-style (and how much it is missed on his own show, for goodness sakes) but I'm intrigued by Faulkner's comment about Lorraine Broderick (who I think has a bigger part than we think in making Days Of Our Lives enjoyable) being too Nixonian.

What is the Agnes Nixon style? And how is it at odds with Y&R? (which has been ABC reduxed over the last few years especially).

• Members

Oh they are completely different. I'd say the Bell-style is unique to soaps because nobody has tried to emulate it, despite the great success. The only person I can think of that was heavily influenced by Bill Bell (and it showed in his work) is James E. Reilly. I know many hate him, but when he was good he was great, However, I do think Lorraine Broderick could do good at Y&R simply because DAYS has roots in the Bell-style and I feel the slow burn approach to storytelling on DAYS could work with Y&R. It's very classic soap and they don't seem afraid to BE a soap.

• Members

Ouch! True, but ouch smile.png

I have always loved MCE. After they stopped making her character on AMC bland, she has mainly sparkled in everything she's done on AMC and and Y&R. I did not see Chelsea, the Early Years, but I do find her entertaining at present.

About Orday-as an actress, she is serviceable. However, when you're both a Newman and an Abbott, you need to be more than serviceable. IMO there is nothing really compelling about her as an actress. When you need a strong scene partner to bring any life to you, you might need a few more acting classes.

Forget the pool, I want to throw Lily into the ocean! She's a grown-ass woman with two kids and she's acting like a 5 year old! Too bad she's too old for Neil to ground smile.png

• Members

I'm wondering how long these writers/producers can go on before writing a murder mystery with Ian Ward as the victim. We all know it's coming (sadly). I have absolutely no doubt in my mind it will happen.

They're too weak to resist such an obvious ending.

Archived