Y&R: July 2014 Discussion Thread

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

these latest story developments are either from other writers who Sony paid to submit long story or from execs at Sony or JFP who are responding to the ratings slide and/or focus groups. Whenever stories are dropped out of the sky I think it's a result of network execs etc. Even writers who lack inspiration like JP/SA typically know how to slow build a long story. I think Josh Griffith left behind some story bibles for which Sony paid him and SA/JP are working off those too. The show is a real hot mess though.

They should bring on Larry Fry to play Austin's father. I swear every time I see Austin on the screen I flashback to Another World and ATWT and the characters Larry Fry played.

• Members

Please tell me you are joking? Like many other bad soap writers who are recycled because they are white and know the right people, she had written for many soaps and every time has been a failure when she is Headwriter. You are at the level of a parody account at this point.

• Members

Jonny, I've asked this before but what would be your reaction if David Kreizman actually took over? Let's all just take a moment and process that idea: David Kreizman. At The Young and the Restless.

• Members

I think Kreizman had written some good moments at GL especially the Dinah stuff but what killed GL was Peapack which sucked. Kreizman worked with Jean st ATWT they know each other. Who knows unless he wrote. I think too many cooks in the kitchen at y and r. If u let your writers write there visionary can apply.

• Members

Isn't it time for Y&R viewers to admit the show has been better lately? For the past 3 weeks, every episode has been good or very good, and simply calling the show "a real hot mess" doesn't do it justice.

Have there been major problems and a real hot mess? Yeah. But if things get better -- and they have -- it's time to mix in those positives with the complaints. I'm still reading that JFP's "rock music tracks" are awful and annoying. Uh...except that those tracks aren't being used any longer, and I've heard more than a few classic Y&R cues in the past few weeks.

Stories/plotlines are much more organic than they were, and are pulling in other characters. Fewer characters seem stuck on an island. We're getting a blend of plot and character, rather than plots that spin in circles as characters repeat themselves. I could go on, but my point is that things are looking up, and once in a while it'd be nice to hear board members here mention that.

• Members

Some of us had said that even during JG's writing regime that things had improved a lot from the MAB years. So that time did indeed come already.

With this show, it's been 2 steps forward 2-3 steps back in many areas. There have been a couple of great casting finds like MM, SC (in the beginning) and the brief time of CW but there have been some casting decisions that have set back certain storylines (CM is one such example, even though she seems like a great person and I enjoyed most of her soap work prior to this).

The music has improved but now they rely on variations of the Nadia's Theme way too much. It used to be a really special moment when the song was used, now it's used for virtually everything, even for scenes that are the most part, truly mundane.

There is more mixing amongst characters but what are they being used for? The way Jill is being misused--it should be a crime! I can only hope that once Eileen Davidson returns, so will a decent business storyline, even if they have to bring Jill back to Jabot to revive the Men's line or something. Jill needs to be flexing her business acumen like a boss! She should be mixing it up with Hillary (they've shown they have great chemistry as antagonists) in a forced business relationship. Hillary would realize she can learn a lot from Jill and respects her knowledge and skill in the industry (if begrudginly) and Jill recognizes Hillary's hunger to succeed because it would be like Jill looking into a mirror from 35+ years ago. The only problem would be that the two women don't really like each other (too much alike?).

Instead we get ridiculous storylines with Hillary's Fizzle-tastic May/December Romance with Love Addicted Neil and Jill's pseudo L'Affaire de Necklace with deadbeat Dad/Grandad Colin. Ugh!

I won't even get into the other tired themes of the WTD storyline (Is this like, Victoria's umpteenth go round?).

The show is much better than MAB's run but that started weeks after MAB was booted.

• Members

The only good stuff on ths show is Christine/Paul/Nikki/Victor and Nick/Sharon and the looming coma-Phyllis - these are also the only stories which still seem to follow a longterm story projection. Everything is reeks desperation or meddling on JFP/CBS' part as these insta-stories are extremely poorly plotted and make absolutely zero sense. There was no build up for neither Summer/Austin, nor Neil&Hill insta-marriage. Victoria's WTD story is sucking monkey balls with the only saving grace being Chelsea.

Archived