Y&R July Discussion

• Members

Exactly the point of creating a good character, cast with an actress that can elicit such a response. Think of how many Y&R character we just don't care about one way or the other - they could just disappear. Don't love 'em/don't hate 'em - Just don't care!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've tuned in over the last couple of weeks to 1) confirm that Jeanne Cooper is alive and well (just because, no concerns) 2) see how they were writing Phyllis v Christine & Paul.

I can't believe the writing, it's about as anti-Bill Bell as it can possibly get. He would have had Phyllis grasping at straws, convincing herself she was in the right when she hit Christine and Paul...but also not believing her own spin, it would have been psychologically complex and Michelle Stafford would have done very well with those scenes. Christine and Paul, a golden couple if there ever was one, would be rallying the troops against Phyllis...you'd see Katherine and Victor getting into the mix on Christine and Paul's behalf, you'd see flashbacks to Dr Tim, Phyllis' therapist, you'd see Nina reliving it all...

We see none of that. We see a storyline that's being rewritten to prop a character whose been written so out of character, for so long, that nobody can make sense of the storyline.

• Members

MAB is so desperate to steal Bill Bell's legacy. I think that's the only reason this has come up. She wants us to see her as the ideal. The only time she cares about the show is to do trash like this, and Philip being alive and gay.

• Members

I voted and its back to 48 for no her going to jail. I think the poll is rigged or people are just stupid....lol

Yes MAB sure is making Chris look like a bitter bitch and Phyliss this helpless victim...NOT....and Sharon..was a pitful bi tch she is....just pathetic.....wanting back the vial Adam back......

• Members

Exactly so. I would like Phyllis MORE if that was the case. I still think she should pay for her crimes, but the M.O. that TPTB are pushing -- she's changed from those days, time has passed, she has children -- wouldn't have to be forced down my throat. It would come naturally to mind.

To be fair to MS (and I'm not her biggest fan), last week she played it as somebody believing her own hype in the moment when she denies all to Nick and Avery... and then shaking as they leave, realizing that in actual fact it is all a lie and she did set out to kill Christine. I thought it was fascinating. It's like when Phyllis trashed Sharon's room at the GCAC, scrawled "I hate myself" in red lipstick on the mirror, stared at her reflection and said aloud "I hate you, too." It That scene still stands out (for me) as strong and emotionally/psychologically complex.

It doesn't have to be for-and-against, but it could be BALANCED, with all sides being represented. Instead, characters like Ronan (a cop who believes in exacting justice at all costs, even if it means slinging his BFF Paul into jail) and NuNuHeather (who has become friends with Christine) are written completely OOC to prop up Phyllis's guilty ass. NuNuHeather especially looks ridiculous, throwing the natural relationships she has with Paul and Christine under the bus so she can score points with her insta-crush Daniel.

• Members

Someone else will know better than I do, but I believe at the time, the writing said he was pretending to be her son to get a kidney. Then, when Jeff Branson flopped in yet another pilot season, Ronan returned and they said oops, he really is her son.

Making mushmouth her son was a lousy idea. He doesn't like Nina and spends no time with her. They just don't want to actually write a story of Nina finding her son.

Archived