Y&R: Discussion for the Month of November

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really have no way to know if they are all that popular, but I'm guessing they must be popular among the people that buy the magazine. They wouldn't be putting something on the cover repeatedly if it doesn't sell better than other things. Sort of like the endless Victor covers. I'm not a big fan, but he must sell.

As to ratings dropping during the time they've been together being an indication of popularity, well, wouldn't that pretty much mean nothing on any soap has been popular for the last 10 years at least? Soaps may get bumps here and there, but for the most part the decline has been nothing if not steady.

• Members

The ratings for Y&R have been fairly erratic - they have steadily fallen, but did go up somewhat in 2008 and 2009, only to start crashing again. The last year, which has heavily focused on Bacteria, Shadam, Kevin/Chloe, Genie Francis Gone Wild, etc. has seen sustained drops.

I don't believe Y&R has ever been a supercouple show and you can see this in the forced nature of Y&R's attempts to build these couples. It's incredibly embarrassing that Bacteria amount to an old man trying to break up a 30 year old deadbeat boozer and his 45+ year old needy, clingy wife, who can't even open a box without help. Even if they did have chemistry, who can root for that?

The characters on the show are just losers. They are unpleasant and incredibly infantile twerps.

• Members

Don't hate: I enjoyed today's US epiosde. Amanda L Beall seems a good fit for the show as a dialogue writer. I enjoyed the scene between Phyllis and Avery, I even didn't mind the Bacteria reunion even though FauxToria, as Carl says, is incapable of doing anything without somebody holding her hand.

I have a real quibble with Billy being forgiven so easily, though. Even worse, Victor should have been RAKED over the coals by Chloe, Katherine, Jill and Murphy for keeping Billy from his almost-dying daughter. Instead, the Mustache ran out of there like the cowardly lion, tossing a muffled "Happy Thanksgiving" over his shoulder. Y&R indulging Eric Braeden has now reached ridiculous, Jensen Buchanan let's-chopper-her-to-and-from-the-studio proportions.

• Members

I agree, that was such a let down, but what is there to expect these days

Getting my hopes up but hopefully there is an upcoming scene where Jill and Katherine confront Victor about what he did, maybe they are waiting for Jeanne to return, but like i said not holding my breath.

• Members

For all Braeden's tantrums he's right about the way Y&R writes Victor.

Billy/Victoria can't generate story on their own (especially Victoria) so Maria/Hogan have Victor acting really OOC to give them something to do.

Over the past few years they've had Victor constantly do horrible things (bullying Colleen) to justify the agendas Y&R wants to push.

• Members

So Victor really is never going to pay?...

From what you just wrote Deedee it sounds like Eric is even frustrated on the OOC things Victor does. Do you think he would ever be up for doing a "Victor is going down story". I have always gotten the impression that Eric would quit if they really thought of a way for Victor to burn on the show.

• Members

There's nothing they can do other than write the character off.

He's become a James Stenbeck/Carlo Hesser/Stefano DiMera/Helena Cassadine cliche.

Yep.

Despite Braeden's ego he can be a team player (he does his best to help Muhney make Adam viable) when he feels the writing has integrity & respects the character.

• Members

I actually preferred Lane, before the stuff where Cane gaslighted her. I think those actors had more chemistry. Miller can only do ham and has anti-chemistry with most of his co-stars. Heinle is just lost, along with the character. There is zero reason why these characters would want each other. The only reason the show ever did this is because they wanted some great drama of Billy being with the Newmans. Where is the drama? Has *anything* interested happened since the time he first got together with her?

Archived