• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There's been occasional discussion of this. It's generally considered a nice touch on Bell's part indicating several things such as the complex social status of the characters, their social bubbles/friends, and a general feeling of a large town with a community that doesn't constantly interact. Plus, it was really special when there was cross-over. I think what the show "lacked" in character interactions it more than made up with in a sense of place, setting, social structure, and largeness of the fictional Genoa City. 

• Members

Absolutely. I always felt like when we watched Y&R from 1973 - 2005, we're watching what's going on in Genoa City - and that doesn't mean all the stories and characters overlap. The same could be said, to a lesser extent, with AMC and AW

Whereas DAYS, B&B or GH, everyone is in the storyline and it's possible for everyone to interact.

Katherine really was the ideal tentpole character. Older, rich, and a mess that anyone could empathize with.

• Members

Katherine was an evil character.. and the way the show later portrayed her as some patron of wisdom was sad... because she did kill a man and keep a child from his inheritance.  

That's why I liked Bell's writing because he kept characters in story bubbles.. but they were so well-written that it never was an issue if some characters never interacted with one another.  It's one of the reasons I never could get behind Marland's writing because it seemed like everyone interacted on his shows, even when it wasn't realistic.

The early years of B & B were like this as well... but I noticed when Brad Bell took over B & B... that story bubble format went away and it seemed like everyone interacted and knew one another's business... when it wasn't like that before.  Same with  Y & R.

• Members

Brad and Cricket. Both worked for Jabot at one point, but barely shared a scene unless it was work related, which was scarce. Cricket was also Traci's step-sister but Cricket and Brad still barely, if ever, interacted, same with Traci. Bell could have pushed it more if he wanted, it would have made sense for Traci and Cricket to build a friendship, Cricket was also dating Danny at the time. But as far as I am aware, it never happened. Just a scene here and there. Bell pretty much ignored Cricket's connection to the Abbott family.

• Members

In theory I agree with the strengths of Bell's character interactions, but by the mid '90s I think the canvas had become too isolated, with long periods of time for characters like Nikki and Katherine stuck at home, or interacting in ways that started to seem a little like thin gruel (like Nikki going to beg Victor to get a vasectomy, or Katherine mostly just seeing John again to talk with him about plastic surgery). Kay Alden did a good job opening the show up a bit. 

• Members

Haha I loved that!! EB seems like he's hysterical to work with! 

Please register in order to view this content

Here's another funny blooper with that starts at 0:12

I always wanted to see more blooper reels with other actors from various years! 

Edited by YRfan23