Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Granted, as an actor, Tom Selleck was very, VERY green at that point in his career.  However, what he lacked in talent, he more than made up for with charisma (which can go a lot farther on TV than you'd think).  TS still could have captivated Y&R's audience and become a breakout star in the process.  Of course, if he had, then there's a chance he never would have become Thomas Magnum. 

Please register in order to view this content

Oh, and yeah, I know the "Charlie's Angels" episode you're talking about, lol.  You could tell the producer, David Levinson, knew what he had with Selleck and Jaclyn Smith together.  That's why he had those REALLY weird close-ups of the two in their scene at Kelly's apartment.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Selleck was featured in a number of pilots over the years before hitting the jackpot with Magnum, so I guess there was a quality about him that got him cast - that charisma that Khan referred too.

I guess those years gave him the opportunity to refine his acting and it all came together in Magnum. Maybe for the first time the role was tailored to suit Tom - remember that Magnum was not the macho Mannix type lead.

• Members

Actually, Magnum was supposed to be "the macho Mannix type lead."  Glen A. Larson, who created the series, had envisioned Magnum as very suave and flawless, like James Bond.  When Selleck landed the role, however, he asked Donald P. Bellisario, who'd become the showrunner, to revamp Magnum into a more relatable character.  He'd wanted to play against the image he'd always been cast for, something he got to lampoon for the first time when he portrayed "too perfect" private investigator Lance White on "The Rockford Files."

Edited by Khan

• Members

I think Tom Selleck also had to grow into his looks and voice somewhat. There's a certain fey quality to him which probably made casting directors pause more in the '70s, when people were becoming more and more aware about sexual ambiguity and androgyny. Magnum was the perfect fit for all aspects of his personality and appearance.