Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think it's both, tbh.  A lot of those Lane fans have color issues and CK's version of Lily with DG is an aspiration for many of them, imo.

Strangely enough, I think many of those Lane fans are more Cane fans--the pormanteau says it all, mostly him with very little of her represented. When the show has made feeble attempts to pair Lily with someone who was not Cane, those rabid Cane fans became boorish, insulting and in many cases downright abusive to either the man that Lily was being paired with (e.g. Tyler) or abusive and insulting to Lily (e.g. when she was with Joe).  Compare that to the whimpering when Lauren was paired with Carmine where many Lauren/Michael fans were upset with Lauren but many also seemed to agree that Carmine was "hot". 

Also, is the unfortunate aspect that Y&R, in its consistent casting choices in the 1990s and beyond, had primed viewers to see lighter-skinned/mixed actors as being more palatable onscreen.  KSJ, ironically was well aware of this fact and spoke on it in that very candid podcast interview that he did a couple years ago.

It's all just highly unfortunate that the creative choices ended up tanking a character that should have, could have been very viable, no matter who is playing her but is basically a non-factor at this point. The sad fact is, that the vestiges of one of Y&R's biggest supercouples of the 1990s/2000s are being wiped away, there is hardly anything left.

• Members

It's a shame Lily got lost in such a full supercouple. I've always hated supercouples and the shipping of couples in general. I could never understand watching edits of specific couples. For me I need the entire show and some of my favorite relationships are either friends or relatives. Also, Y&R trained me not to be stuck on one couple. Look how many years Victor and Nikki split up and they were huge. 

I also feel Lily and Daniel made more sense anyway. Even if you have to recast Lily, I'd try to bring back Michael Grazaidei and repair them. They could even bring Heather back with Daniel. She could give Paul something to do and also he a fresh love interest for Adam without the baggage. 

• Members

Supercouples, A.K.A 'The Luke & Laura Phenomenon' were the best and worst thing to happen to the soap opera genre, I always say.  When it was uber-popular in the 1980s, soaps had an easy and ready concept in which to build their marketing around but when it got old, or actors left the show and had to be replaced, it became a real obstacle to the show's mobility or ability to adapt and change.

Lily was too damn young to be a part of any super-couple.  She was certainly too young to be locked into a pairing with someone as senior as Cane. 

People talk about how poorly Nicholas has been written in recent years but Lily was an underwritten character from almost the very beginning.  I strain to think of one storyline written for her that wasn't somehow entirely tied up in her role as either girlfriend, wife or mother. From the time she was a teen, her first storyline was about her sexuality, nothing more and it's seemingly been that way throughout her time on the canvas.

• Members

I actually liked when the show was briefly revisiting Lily/Daniel when Cane 'died'... but rapid fanbases have caused a dilution of quality that soaps were once known for.

In regards to Michael/Lauren... anywhere I've ever seen.. people have been wanting Lauren to break free of Michael so when she and Carmaine were paired.. some peeps were cool with it.   Till the day my mom passed away, she held out hope that Paul/Lauren would reunite... and viewed Michael as a place holder LOL

• Members

Michael and Lauren are boring to me. It seems like they dont know what to do with Ms.Fenmore other than have a psyco chase after her. Michael and Phyliss, being bad together however....I could get behind that! I do like Phyliss' friends with sexual tension dynamic with both Michael Baldwin & Malcolm. 

• Members

I wanted Lauren with Jack which I think would be amazing, but reuniting her with Paul could work if she were written with more bite like before. Also, when did HE become a saint?! Having recently watched the available episodes from 88-92, he was sexy and tough not the saint he is now. I also feel Christine is a wasted heroine stuck in her worst pairing. I'd love to see Christine with Nick or anybody more youthful. After all of her suffering she deserves a child as well. It's just weird she was so vital and is now just stuck with Paul for no reason. 

• Members

IMO Christine "Cricket" Blair's best pairing was...wait for it... Danny Romalotti.  He was probably the only character who didn't see the constant need to rescue her. And if she's out of town on a regular basis, at least, going on the road with her rocker/husband makes much more sense than inventing these inane crime-fighting conventions that she has to go to. 

Honestly, Michael should've been one of Lauren's temporary pairings, a short-term marriage not unlike one of those relatively brief multiple marriages that soap vixens (e.g. Erica Kane) usually have.  It's obvious that the writers don't know what to do with this couple.  Usually I'm quick to blame the writers for a failure of imagination but in this case, I just think the couple's possibilities are limited but I feel like, unless Michael gets sent off the canvas somehow, Lauren is kind of stuck in that pairing for the foreseeable future.  Also, at this point, a liberated, single Lauren could probably be the best chance to resuscitate Paul's character.  At least the two actors have chemistry with each other.  TEB's Lauren could create chemistry with other characters but for DD's Paul, I'm not so sure.  As long as both are there, why not do something meaningful with both characters?  The history can easily be revived into something current.

And yes, the show should bring back Heather (I'm partial to Vail Bloom, now that she's sober, everyone deserves a second chance) even for a brief storyline arc.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Paul lost most of his edge when they paired him with Christine. This even led to that strange period in the mid-90s where Danny was the bad boy obstacle to their relationship. I think Paul lost most of that saintly vibe after he got involved with Isabella and the "rough sex" story with Christine, but he also lost most purpose as a character.