Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

It’s funny how I mostly can’t stand Phyllis on current Y&R, yet I always look forward to seeing her on these 95 episodes. Obviously it’s because this was long before the show ever thought of Phyllis having to be the “star” of the show, and she was in her place as  (one of) the towns villainess 

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

90s Phyllis was PURE gold. I loved her campiness with Joani and she even made Danny and Cricket interesting and dare I say enjoyable. When Stafford came back in 2000, Kay Alden fleshed her out pretty well. It was a progressed Phyllis who still had some spark, but was no longer suuuuper desperate. Then, ca. 2005 someone decided that THE STAFFORD (c) was the greatest thing ever and her acting tics started to take over the show. That's why Gina Tognoni was such a divine twist of fate, suddenly Phyllis was a likeable character again.

• Members

A quick thank you to @YRfan23 for posting these episodes.

1995 certainly was a defining year for the show. I remember being interested in every storyline, Victoria in particular. Heather Tom knew how to emote everything. It's a shame Julianne Morris didn't stick around longer. Amy was a great character, and she, a strong actress, relatable with her insecurities.

Thanks again!

• Members

Gina Tognoni worked because Phyllis became a scrappy outsider again. I won't deny Joshua Morrow and Michelle Stafford had chemistry, but putting her with Nick killed the character. It didn't help that that was the start of the writing changes, but they suddenly turned Phyllis into a goofy heroine which she never should've been. The biggest loss to Y&R in general is the isolation. The importance that was help by being in a scene with Victor Newman for example. Now everybody knows everybody regardless of their place in life and it removes a layer from the show.