Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I’ve seen a few clips of the ’96-’98 Joshua/Veronica story and am very intrigued. Sadly I was taking a YR break during the original airings and missed the whole thing. But it all seems very gothic and creepy in the best way. This is not the usual type of the story that the writers would involve Nikki in (excluding pre-Victor Nikki who was involved in a cult and stalked by Edward).

I was surprised to see that Tracy Melchior played the role before Candace Daly. I wonder if TM quit or was replaced. My impression is that TM doesn’t have the acting chops to tackle a complex role like Veronica. Sad to see that CD passed away at a very young 38.

Was anyone watching during this time period? What are your thoughts on this story?

• Members

Oooh!  Speaking of Josh and Veronica Landers, there's an actor whom I saw the other night on a Hallmark Channel Christmas movie (yeah, I know, lol) and thought would be PERFECT as Josh and Veronica's son.  You know, should they ever go there?  He could come to GC, seeking revenge against Nikki or something.  Anyways.  Here's the guy:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0751076/

• Members

The story started in an incredibly moribund period for the show and you got the sense Bill Bell didn't know where it was going. Once Kay Alden became co-HW the story was much more focused and full of tension. The scenes where Veronica finally had enough and shot Nikki were incredibly done - in writing, acting, and direction. Candice Daly was great in the part, especially in those last months. Melody Thomas Scott also gave some of her best work in that period. 

I always respected that, after trashy tabloids ran stories on Daly following her death, MTS spoke out to defend her.

• Members

Yes, the scenes were posted recently where Nikki was flashing back to "Sarah" shooting her and it was really disturbing. Sarah acting strange... Nikki ordering her to leave... then Nikki realizing something is really wrong. Even more creepy to think that dead Joshua was upstairs.

I think that clip and the other late-90s clips were copyright-deleted

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

What I remember is just how it all felt kind of rushed, especially for Y&R.  That was a pretty quick set up relationship and wedding for Bill Bell and such major characters.  Not just Nikki but Victor and Diane too.  I got the sense that he wanted to shake things up and prolong the inevitable with them reuniting.  Then it seemed like Bell wanted to retire with a bang, and the climax was sped up.

It still took almost two years, but it seemed faster because normally that would have been three or four years lol.