Y&R: Week of September 15, 2008

• Members

It really is very striking. In fact, this scene -- featuring 80s Brenda just before she left (eyes searching for the cue card) -- contrasts with a 1970s flashback within the scene in which BD's smile and natural charisma let up the set.

Awww, Thom Bierdz. *sniffle*

As for BD's life thus far, I really do feel sorry for her. Narcissim and delusion -- you are so right.

And Deborah Adair oozed class, sensuality and subtlety. I wish she were back on Daytime!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's as good a fashion-y place to start as any (although promise me you will one day think about traveling to NYC or Tokyo or somewhere! Just so you can compare and contrast. Take in a different vibe. Change of scenery, etc).

:)

• Members

I discovered Hotokra, ItsMandyKimper and tombinorway's 80s Y&R greatness a week or two ago when Y&R was only on for three days. I got sick and my book wasn't holding my attention, and I was in a "Jill & Kay's past" mood. This is what the YT search threw up. :)

LOL at jp's post. ^^ Thank goodness. Don't ever change, jp!

• Members

Wow - great topics going on today. i remmber when DA started and my mom and I were like - she's not Jill. You wanted Jill to be a big bad b!tch and DA was very subtle. Not saying subtle isn't good - just didn't seem to work for an 80's soap! Brenda could pull of arch acting with such aplomb and in a dominating manner that made her fascinating as well as compelling. You always wanted to see what was going to happen to her. That's been the key to creating a soap character - caring what happens to them. And whther you loved BD's Jill or hated her - you always wanted to know what she was up to and what the outcome would be. As for the clip that Cat posted - i wonder if this is the infamous clip that got her in trouble for not crying. In her E! special she says BB called her up and asked why she didn't cry and she defended herself by saying she cried buckets and buckets of tears but they didn't use that take. She's just completely delusional...

Which brings me to Chloe. i've commented before that she's done horrible deeds and if she were a man people would be plotting her death but the actress EH is so engaging that she makes you forget she's ruining all the people's lives around her cause her potrayal is so compelling. And making her a sort of Avenger-type character - "I'll not let you treat my baby like my mother" is a very strong, personal perspective to choose. I love that they're making the reveleation of Chloe as Ester's daugfhter Kate take on an upstairs vs. downstairs dialogue on the rich vs. the poor which is Bell's signature stroke on all his soaps. The excitement of seeing the underdog take on the powerful elite never gets old and it allows us to (temporiliy) forget that Chloe has done the despicable and focus on her struggle through life of always wanting to fit into the social class that has relegated her mother to humilation and sacrifice.

But...the River Baldwin thing better kick some drama soon cause it's boring me. The spoilers tell me it's going to get interesting but this week it's just dragging things down. I also hope that MG can tone down the ashram vibe and go into a more natural line delvery cause it comes off as fake and gimmicky to me. Also, Gloria and Jeff's business is dull when it's supposed to come off as sharp. Them one-upping each other may be exciting for the characters but not for this viewer. Adn Jeff, who used to be so dangerous is just a cackling hyena. Give him a grudge or a connection with someone currently on the canvas separate from Gloria and the Baldwins.

Oh and the RS business is equally snooze-worthy but it's not going to last long from what i've read so i'm patiently waiting for it's "thrilling" conclusion.

• Members

That's going to be a bit trickier since that requires some extra equipment - primarily a capture device and software - that isn't on your computer. It's not like most computers that come with DVD players (and even DVD burners on most newer ones) so you just need the ripping software. The good news is you don't have to open up your computer to do it these days, as many companies make USB devices to capture with, so the hardest part is connecting the wires from your VCR and having the patience to do the captures in real time. There are people who will do it for you, but you might not want to pay the money if you have tons of tapes.

The Latham backstory didn't help especially, since it didn't jive that someone trying to hide out because his family was being targeted by Nazis would make his way in the world by hitching up with high profile families like Brad did. And how did he go from someone unselfish trying to help his family to someone so smug and manipulative?

• Members

That's a great way to describe why Jess is just...heaven. The Jill Jess Walton created is one who, after all these years, just gave into her anger, she stopped giving a sh*t about anyone aside from Billy and herself. She was tough, she was just 'done' and so she decided to have some fun and do whatever (or whomever) she wanted.

Jess Walton, in my most humble opinion, is the greatest soap recast ever. She took a version of Jill that was never going to make it in the 90s and transformed her into someone passionate, someone tangible, someone angry. Anger, as MarkH puts it, is the core of Jill Abbott...after all the hell she's been through for 35 years I'd be pretty angry too!

And I looooove Walton's growl, the roughness to her voice. Yes it's due to her smoking (which I believe she finally gave up a couple of years ago) and her substance abuse in the early 80s...but damn if it isn't just one of the best voices in daytime.

And Cat, I so agree about her hair. She needs to grow it out pronto. The short cut doesn't do much for her, it's an aging cut. As are the blond highlights. If she went a deep chestnut brown and let her hair go to her shoulders she'd look 10 years younger. I'm certain of it. She's a sexy woman as she is, but the hair would help her greatly.

• Members

We agree on what we saw...just differ on what we liked :). I much prefered the "less arch" Jill played by DA. It is SUCH a treat to see those clips.

Yes, the actress is phenomenal...and (even if it is a retcon manipulation), making her "Kate" has 100% turned her into someone I care about. Now, even when she is bad, I kind of understand...and I want her to get happier.

100% agree on everything you wrote here...ESPECIALLY the "hyena" part.

I think RS has to fail. Nick doesn't have what it takes. I wonder where this will go....

Archived