Is Passions being cancelled?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Toups, normally I enjoy your optimism, but this time I must intervene.

We usually don't have MAINSTREAM media outlets picking up on these rumors, and they usually don't come from 'insiders' at the net.

Usually it's disgruntled "Another World" fans who enjoy ticking off 'Pash' fans.

So, I am worried. NBC could be this stupid.

• Members

May I say "bravo!" to EVERY WORD of your flipping post, bellcurve!!!

And about the "Today" personalities who would stick around? The estrogen-filled lineup you proposed? It's BASICALLY "Later Today," which FAILIED MISERABLY in, what, 1999?

NBC, you've already tried this, LOSERS.

It didn't work then.

It's not going to work now.

Just move JER.

Make him write.

stick the same guns to him that you clearly did with Corday.

Renew the show but make hefty demands about wrapping up storylines and heck, even say that storylines can't last for longer than (insert time here). YOU'RE the network. TAKE CONTROL of "Passions." FORCE JER TO DO THIS SHOW JUSTICE.

HAVE BALLS, NBC!

You're a WHIMP if you pull this rumored easy-way-out.

Is that what you want to be?

Huh?

WHIMP?

WHIMPY, WHIMP, WHIMP, WHIMP?

WHIMP!!!$@#$@#$@#$@#$!#%$#^%^%^$%t^%^^^%^

• Members

For the record: I was a longtime AW fan, but I merely switched to ATWT when AW ended. I think if NBC hadn't pissed off that AW contingent, PSSN's ratings might have been a bit higher. I know of a lot of people who refused to watch for that reason. Whatever, I guess.

I wonder what the soap's rating would have been like had it been programmed at 3pm.

As for the show itself, I wonder what a new headwriter could do with it. JER as creative consultant (I know, I know, an oxymoron), perhaps?

• Members

Not to mention a FOURTH hour? I could see an optional hour for the affiliates, but the NBC station here airs Rachael Ray at 10. I doubt they'd want to move it to the afternoon, although I think it'd be perfect 4pm competition for Oprah.

• Members

I have been watching Passions since it's very first episode that aired on July 5, 1999. I watch this show daily.

I am very shocked that there are some people in this thread that are happy that Passions could be cancelled just because they don't like the storylines.

Passions cancellation means that NBC is giving up on the soap opera genre. They are not adding a brand new soap. They are cancelling a soap to make room for a fourth hour to their daily morning show (NBC's Today).

Passions possible cancellation is also not good news for "Days of Our Lives" fans. It's been said many times by former NBC Daytime vice-president Sheraton Kalouria that you can't have a soap block with just one soap. This means that "Days" could eventually get cancelled when it's current contract runs out.

I don't know why NBC is adding yet another hour to the Today show. This just only upset affiliates who would rather have that hour for syndicated shows that bring in more money. It's bad enough that they have three hours of their morning show when ABC and CBS are still at two hours for their morning shows.

• Members

Probably something about afffiliates and the number of hours network programming that airs.

I'm just still trying to figure out who would want to watch TODAY at that late of an hour? I guess if NBC cancels DAYS, they will add a fifth hour of TODAY. Isn't this was MSNBC was created for?

I hope NBC goes the Dumont way if/when they get rid of all their soaps. NBC without DAYS is pointless television. In daytime and primetime.

Unless NBC plans on developing telenovelas for daytime or syndication(and I HIGHLY doubt it, given the lackluster numbers for MyNetworkTV), the network will probably give that hour back to the affiliates if Fourth-Hour TODAY flops.

I wonder if there is a clause in DAYS's contract that states if PASSIONS is cancelled, then DAYS could be at any time? If PASSIONS is cancelled, I don't see the affiliates wanting to air DAYS when they can fill the hour with JERRY SPRINGER, MAURY, or sitcom reruns(which, in their opinion, is more profitable and stable as a lineup). The affiliates will not want to air DAYS until its contract is up in March of 2008(or whenever its up). If they have the slightest feeling NBC is washing their hands of soaps, they will refuse to air DAYS.

SUNSET BEACH, anyone?! Even after AW was cancelled and BEACH was granted the reprieve, NBC affiliates(and, I believe some of them were O&O's) dropped BEACH shortly after PASSIONS aired, because instead of looking for a BEACH replacement mid-season(which is tough on affiliates because there is hardly ever any syndicated programming that is launched mid-season), they decided to replace it immediately. I bet anything the network put out feelers to the affiliates to let them know that they may need to seek a replacement for BEACH, which led to the massive affiliate-dropping the show.

NBC proved how evil it was in 1999. I wouldn't put it past them at ALL.

Start up your letter-writing campaigns ASAP.

Frons will salivate over acquiring DAYS for ABC, but the key to a successful network jump is that audiences have to know you moved. If they don't, odds are you're screwed. DAYS's future may not be as bleak depending on if the show jumps networks(and I believe it can happen, as long as Corday relenquishes control of the show to Frons, and odds are, he may/may not).

YEP! Agreed 1000%.

I bet they move Meredith to the Fourth Hour for a VIEW or REGIS AND KELLY ripoff show(since R&K would be the competition in the Eastern Time Zone. In the Central, THE VIEW would be the fourth-hour competiton).

• Members

I honestly can not see what The Today Show could possibly fill four hours with every day unless they incorporate Chris Hansen and To Catch a Predator for an entire half hour every day. :wacko:

Still, I can't say I'm surprised that Passions might be getting the axe. The numbers aren't the best, the writing in the last year-2 years has been its worst and even at its best, Passions gets criticized.

So if the day has finally come, I will be sad, but not surprised. JER for some reason can harness the show's amazing potential and run with it. Instead he sees the two roads diverged in the narrow wood and decides to go off and make his own road through thorny bushes and poison ivy. <_<

Archived