Is Passions being cancelled?

• Members

I think it would be a bold move to have NBC put DAYS in their primetime lineup. It will never happen, but just imagine how many people who can't watch it in the afternoon might watch at night. I know I would.

Having it be a Soapnet only show is another alternative, but those who don't have Soapnet are SOL.

I don't want it moving to ABC---Frons would fukk it up more than JER could ever do, and CBS won't ax any of their shows to make room for it. I don't expect ABC or CBS to pick up DAYS at the expense of their viewers.

Better to go out on the network you started on than to move somewhere else and bomb.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Corday would be forced to give up creative control. Maybe not so much like ownership. I can see him still collecting the checks for mommy and daddy's legacy(think the Dobsons and SB, when New World took over and royally d!cked them, or Agnes Nixon's Dramatic Creations and ABC partnership). I think Dee, Peter, and Kristian are safe bets. The Drake, not so much.

The only way to avoid that happening is to promote DAYS's move to ABC like gangbusters! Disney already has the advantage with SOAPnet, there's Soap Opera Digest which promotes DAYS and GH over every other soap on the air right now, and they could something as simple as mall tours, advertising DAYS's move to ABC.

Another thing....IF DAYS ends up on ABC, it won't come cheap. Whichever show is left standing in the dust(and I believe that will be OLTL), odds are it will be produced on even MORE of a shoestring budget than now to accomodate DAYS's arrival to ABC(think GL, with everyone living in a hotel or in Myrtle Fairgate's boarding house, etc).

• Members

I am failing to see HOW PASSIONS getting the axe, would result in affiliates dropping DAYS OF OUR LIVES!

First off, PSNS being killed, would have little to no affect on DAYS ratings, since DAYS airs before it in every single market in the US.

Why would the affiliates drop DAYS, they pull in decent numbers, MUCH MUCH better than what PSNS is pulling in, why would they get rid of a solid/decent ratings performer, for another hour in the afternoon.

They ALREADY will be getting an extra hour if PSNS is canned, so why would they up and stop airing DAYS.

Losing PSNS will free up money for NBC and could in the end HELP DAYS rather than hurt it.

I can definetly see NBC going with a 1 soap lineup, think of their demo/rating averages, they will ALL go up and NBC can claim #1 status for almost every single demographic over ABC and CBS.

While I do not want to see PASSIONS axed, I do not agree for one second that this will result in the death of DAYS....sorry if this situation was reveresed andi t was DAYS that was going to be axed first, then I could understand it...but the the other way around not at all.

• Members

The whole idea of DAYS moving to ABC makes me want to throw things. No disrespect to DAYS, and I don't care what the quality of any of ABC's soaps are, but to dump an ENTIRE SHOW that's been on the network for over 35 years (and all three fit into that category) just to pick up another show from another network...that just seems to be the worst way a network can betray its fans.

• Members

I know, if Pasisons gets cancelled and Days gets moved to ABC, then we're so in trouble. Brian Frons is worse than JER, Megan Mctavish, Dena Highly, Tom Langan, and Bob Guza COMBINED! He hates vets....for some odd reason and hires horrible writers. Things have been terrible under his control and even though things are looking up all ABC soaps are crumbling.

However, as I said before, according from what Ryan said in another thread, Frons bosses are NOT happy, and that's why Kay Alden and Jack Smith are over there trying to fix things. Hopefully Frons will be fired before Days, if it does, get over there.

So, I hope Passions is NOT cancelled. For multiple reasons, including the shows potential, it's too far to wish cancellation on a soap, Days fate, and I don't want a fourth hour of Today.

• Members

Honey, MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN, SOAP, SANTA BARBARA, SUNSET BEACH. That was good satire. PASSIONS is a cartoon and always has been, even when the show took itself seriously the first year on the air.

And I also disgaree with you about DAYS. When PASSIONS goes(if another soap doesn't replace it) DAYS will go also.

Bree, I love your idea about DAYS in primetime. They have nothing else to fill the time with except DEAL OR NO DEAL and stupid reality shows and sitcoms. DAYS 5 Nights a Week with a weekend recap(ala MyNetworkTV) would be a bold, but fabulous step up for the cast and for NBC.

• Members

More local ad time! And for the stability of their afternoon lineup. They don't have to worry about DAYS getting axed by NBC in December, or March or whenever. Because they already have programming in place. Just drop DAYS.

Not to metion the fact that affiliates HATE soaps. A CBS affiliate in Tulsa DROPPED B&B for years to present an hour-long newscast. The #2 show in the nation.

Do you HONESTLY think that if NBC cancels PASSIONS, that the money from that show will go to a one soap lineup, which is a non-NBC property? Nice thought, but PASSIONS's budget will go to launching 4th hour TODAY.

I can see them going to a one-soap lineup too. But not for long. Affiliates won't want to air one soap with few local ads when they can air JERRY at the same time with more local ads and revenue.

You have your theories and I have mine. But if I were a DAYS fan, I would be VERY VERY WORRIED! Because if PASSIONS goes, NBC will not want to use its resources to advertise a one-soap lineup. Especially one that THEY DON'T OWN!

• Members

You know, I'll bet if JER found out that Passions cancellation would probably affect Days and and might even it cause it's cancellation, he just might throw Passions down the tubes JUST so he can get back at Corday for firing him. He seems to not even care about Passions since he doesn't take it seriously and never gives the fans payoff anyway. I wouldn't put it past him.

• Members

I guess the writing was on the wall for a long time. With Days moving back into a more traditional soap opera feel, it just doesn't mesh very well with Passions at all.

I agree though, that the canceling of Passions will send ripple effects throughout the entire industry. If anything, it could be more ammunition for CBS to cancel GL. We should all be worried.

• Members

For me, personally, it's a lose/lose situation all the way around. If PASSIONS is cancelled, not only will I lose that show, but DAYS will probably be cancelled as soon as its current contract is up (if not sooner) or worse yet, sold to ABC, where it will be systematically destroyed by Frons and THEN be cancelled. Or, it could give CBS the guts to cancel GL, another of my soaps. No matter what, if PASSIONS goes, I'm probably screwed.

Archived