Is Passions being cancelled?

• Members

Well, JER has already thrown the worst at me:

-Gwen marrying Ethan (when we all know he's Theresa's man and Gwen deserves dog sh!+)

-keeping Grace off-screen for two years and now killing her off

-splitting up Charity and Miguel and having him obsess over Kay

And I keep coming back for more, so JER has me hook, line, and sinker.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Evans dying was the thing that got rid of a critical part of classic Passions, which was Timmy.

And, as for Passions going to ABC, I don't think so. Frons wants Days, nothing less. And if Passions does go over, and if Days went over too, that would mean he would have to cancel to soaps, which would be OLTL and AMC, but would he REALLY try that?

• Members

JER has me hook, line and sinker, too. Seriously, I'll watch "Passions" no matter what. But I still get ticked off when, as Kenny and I believe others have said so many times, given his work on "Days of Our Lives" during his first tenure, we know that HE KNOWS how to write a good show. For some reason (and this is my opinion beginning now), I think he got lazy and, somewhere along the way, must have decided he hates soap operas or something, because "Passions," while goofy in '99 and its first few years, was not the anti-soap that it is now. It wasn't so off-putting and there were well balanced elements of romance, intrigue and, well, PASSION! But now, everything goes around in circles, with no end in sight. I don't know. I just don't know what's going on. We know his ego is big so I also have a theory that he's trying to get the show canceled -- just because. Because it could later be written about in a soap opera book or something. Thanks to the show's supernatural hijinks, cartoon violence and campy nature, it IS entertaining on a day-to-day basis, which is good, but as a SOAP, unlike its first few years, it just isn't fulfilling. We need to see Pash have an incredible year, soap-wise.

• Members

Maybe Rick plays them up too much, lol. All I know is what I read in mainstream magazines about "Passions," they always talk about the incredible demos. It seems to mean something to them, and we all know that ABC highly values demos (or used to) over Nielsens. So that's why I suggested it. Besides, as seen with the successful offscreen ventures like Tabloid Truth and other online measures for synergy, this show is quite commercially valuable. The revenues, much like the storylines and characters, have unlimited potential.

• Members

Everyone knows that the higher-ups seem to feel like "OLTL" is the network's red-headed stepchild. I can honestly see them canning that show for one with greater commercial value that is easily marketable and scores better demos. As for taking on both "Days" and "Passions" (something I wouldn't mind since, hey, I like "AMC" now and watching all of them on ABC Daytime sounds fun), they could reduce "Days" and "Passions" by 30 minutes to equal one "OLTL." (Okay, now I'm really ticking off OL fans by speaking so casually about it, right? :lol:)

• Members

RionPassions, you are one massive hypocrite.

First, you say that anyone who wants Passions to be cancelled is also somebody who automatically hates every single viewer of Passions. Then, you suggest that anyone who wishes cancellation on any soap is an evil person.

Later on, however, you then say that AW sucked and deserved to be cancelled and that DOOL and Passions are the only soaps that deserve to be on NBC.

GROW UP! And stop being the true disgrace that you are.

• Members

Why does that backward network do ANYTHING it does, Rion?

Once again, (stupid) Pea-COOK: THE ADDITIONAL HOUR OF "TODAY" ALREADY F-A-I-L-E-D WHEN YOU TRIED 'LATER TODAY' IN '99!!!!!!@#$@#$@#$@#

Having said that, the net is horrible at promoting "Passions." they used to be so good at it back in '99 and '00 and '01...but things went downhill from there.

Case in point: just now, while watching "Days," I saw a promo for "Passions" that was about Ethan doing whatever it takes to get rid of Jared. It showed Jared proposing to Tess in her kitchen and Ethan roughing up Jar, locking him out and making out with Theresa.

Sounds good, right? WRONG. If you watched the show, that all happened today, on Tuesday's episode. Not only that, it was a DREAM. Now for the biggest problem? Backward idiots -- aka "the Peacock network" -- for whatever reason, air only ONE token "Passions" promo a week. In other words, that storyline is aired in a promo that is either 10 seconds or 20 seconds long. But that's it. That's the only version of the promo.

So here's one problem with attracting audiences right here. THAT PROMO IS OUTDATED AS OF TODAY. But watch. It will run Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

It makes no sense!

I can't be that much money to produce promos. Literally, produce them. If ABC can do the "next, on All My Children"s, then it's basically the same thing as creating new promos.

WHAT IS NBC'S PROBLEM?!!!

• Members

Oh, so we're going by your logic? OK, well in that case, you're no better if you're wishing cancellation on DAYS, if PSNS is cancelled. On second thought, never mind. I really don't want to even bother with your logic. I'm not particularly in the mood for a headache right now.

• Members

I don't care what they do to "Passions," so long as it STAYS ON THE AIR FOR AT LEAST 10 YEARS and storylines are resolved. Actually, I always felt that the show had a natural expiration date: the day that Juliet Mills dies. After all, she's really the matriarch or iconic figure of the show. Yes, the show is Theresa's, but in terms of the whole Tabitha/Timmy gimmick that makes the show so different; once she's gone, that's it. That supernatural element is good as gone because you'll never find the right replacement.

Archived