Is Passions being cancelled?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mitch you are right that Passions begin gone won't affect Days ratings - not in the sense that Days relies on Passions.

But I fully agree with Bellcurve that NBC affiliates will drop Days if Passions goes. NBC affiliates are well known to drop soaps. They have made a history of it. Many of biggies dropped AW, The Doctors, Santa Barbara, Texas, and SFT long before they were cancelled. My Nashville affiliate has been well known to do it. They dropped all of them for awhile except for AW and SB. And they constantly fool with Days time. Right now it airs at 2:00 CST well away from the time it is normally shown which is good for some but gives it stronger competition from GH.

The affiliates won't be gaining an hour by the cancellation of Passions. They will be losing with NBC airing a 4th hour of Today and I think they have to carry that. Since NBC does not own Days the affiliates will not have to carry it.

I can see many of them dropping Days or moving it to strange airtimes - just like CBS affiliates have done with GL. They get better ratings from other things even though Days does okay. Days is more expensive than syndicated shows too, so it would mean more revenue for them.

Once the affiliates start dropping Days it's overall ratings will go down from the lost markets.

It happened to AW, The Doctors and all those. And is one of the big reasons that GL has a harder time with the ratings. As good as GL does right now I can't imagine what it would be if it was shown in every market and shown at the same time everywhere.

So I agree with Bellcurve and many others, Passions going is not a good thing for all of daytime but especially for Days.

• Members

I was actually thinking, that if NBC cancelled Passions around the same time CBS cancelled Guiding Light, then maybe NBC would pick up Guiding Light and replace Passions with it!!!!

But I do not see Guiding Light being cancelled this year since it is their 70th year on the air.

• Members

When I posted the link about Passions' possible cancellation I guess I should have expected the debate of whether the show should be cancelled or not. Ultimately, all daytime fans should be very nervous by whatever outcome lays ahead. This is definitely going to cause a major shift in daytime television the likes most of us have not witnessed before. I'm really sad at the thought of losing another one of my shows, but I'm even more terrified for the entire genre. Hopefully Passions fans and daytime fans align together and fight. Support ALL the daytime dramas. They truly need us now more than ever before. Whether you're a Passions fan or not support daytime dramas PERIOD. Passions is fighting for its life; YOUR show could be too.

• Members

ITA with all of the above, except for that one sentence. I want PSNS to survive, but JER has done absolutely nothing to justify that happening, and like others have said, if PASSIONS is cancelled, he, and he alone, will be responsible.

• Members

Oh, I agree 100%....don't get me wrong, I was a huge JER fan, and still want to be, but it seems like most of the time he just doesn't care. I love Passions and will watch it 'til the end, cuz I'm weird like that, but man, c'mon! I will admit though, these past couple of months have been better than the first 9mths of the year, and yes, while the show is no where near what it was like from 99-'02, it is starting feel different, in a good way.

Let's hope that this 'deal' just falls apart and that JER can continue to improve the show!

• Members

Passions at least needs a chance to save itself. Renew Passions for one more season and give JER till the end of the year to turn it into the show certain fans want it to be. If he can't turn it around by this time next year, THEN maybe cancellation should be considered. But don't cancel it without even trying, or giving JER a chance. Yes, he's had plenty of chances before, but maybe NBC will make him see the seriousness of this situation. Plus, now he's Days-free...when Passions was renewed last year, he was still with Days. Let's see what the future brings to Passions, but NBC should ultimately renew it until at least July 2008.

(They might as well renew it to July 2009---then it will have had a proper 10-year run, and with Days most likely ending in November 2009, it makes perfect sense for NBC to remove both its soaps within a few months of each other. I hate to be a naysayer, but this is ultimately the scenario I see playing out, with Passions and Days both ending in 2009.)

• Members

No. What I mean is, if NBC is intent on cancellation Passions, it should at least extend Passions the courtesy of doing whatever it takes to not get cancelled. Personally, I think Passions is fine the way it is, but if NBC sees differently, then Passions must be given the chance to prove to them that it's worth staying on the air. Most likely I'll like whatever JER does.

• Members

Call me crazy, but I think because of "Passions"' demos, which everyone knows ABC cares about, it might even be a contender for a jump from NBC. Could it not? Not that I want that. "Passions" is NBC's baby. But it has a loyal following and it has desirable demos. Why shouldn't it be a good contender for ABC?

Anyway. That's just a thought. I think NBC -- if it gets its head out of its butt with this 'extending 'Today' into a longer crapfest idea -- is the best network for the show.

Archived