Is Passions being cancelled?

• Members

I just read on the Extra site that NBC is considering expanding the Today show another hour and cancelling Passions to do it. Has anyone else heard this crap? I would be so pissed off if NBC cancelled the show, especially for another hour of the Today show. What a sucky way to start the New Year with garbage like this. I'm so upset. Has anyone heard anything???

Here is the link: http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2006/12/nbc_...to_today_s.html

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It wouldn't suprise me really, Passions was only renewed foor a year, so I wouldn't be suprised.

Honestly, if they are not going to fire JER, they need to let the show be canceled. JER is ruining it, and even though at the same time it would probably sadden me alot, it just needs to be canned if a new headwriter's not coming anytime soon. It's sad because of the show's loads of potential, but JER just can't be allowed to ruin the show more than it already has been anymore.....*sigh*

• Members

For the record Passions has always been renewed on a year to year basis. It just doesn't make any sense to me that NBC would have ONE soap in its line-up. I have been screwed by NBC Daytime one too many times first with Santa Barbara, then Sunset Beach and now possibly Passions. I guess I'm the idiot for supporting NBC Daytime. I'm trying hard to remain optimistic but I've been burned too many times in the past.

• Administrator

I guess it's that time of the season again.....for Passions cancellation rumours.

It happens every year, so I'm not worrying for now.

The announcement for renewal (or cancellation) should happen in the summer like every year. Until then there's no point of worrying. :)

• Members

Passions is usually renewed in January, but for some reason, last year it wasn't announced till May.

Anyway, I doubt NBC is going to cancel Passions and leave Days to fend for itself. NBC doesn't seem likely to add another soap to its lineup. Passions will be renewed again..I'd put money on it.

• Members

I don't mean this as rude, but I can't see why anyone would want any daytime show to be cancelled. Passions may not be the best show on the air and it may not be the show it used to be - but what show is. Cancelling any of the 9 shows on the air right now is not good news for any of them. And if NBC cancelled Passions it would definitely spell trouble for Days.

As some have stated in here NBC would be stupid to even try and have a 1 soap lineup. Even with Days getting better losing Passions right now will only spell trouble for it especially with the Emmys. They would lose any network voting help that they have for one thing and leave Days fighting all alone against the 4 and 3 soap lineups of the other 2 networks. Also many fans are network oriented and will watch shows based on network. They will be less likely to tune in for 1 hour even if the show is great.

Pretty soon NBC will get tired of the 1 soap lineup and either look to cancel Days or sell it. And most likely it will go to ABC which will either cancel AMC or OLTL or move Days to a different timeslot. If another show is cancelled for it then those fans will only be angered and any positive will be destroyed. And then also we would be down to 7 soaps by then.

Cancelling any of the 9 soaps is not a good thing. All I say is go ahead and tell the networks to cancel. This time it may be the show you want to go, but the next time it may be one you actually like.

• Members

People believe that DAYS would hurt if they were the only soap on the air. I don't think that's true. DAYS tops the charts of what NBC usually goes for (or went for) and that is 12-17 girls. I think the show would be fine as the only soap, although I wish they would create a new soap opera, a more serious one, not some cheap crap like Passions.

• Members

I don't think Passions is in danger.

I also think it's terrible to wish cancellation on Passions. If that's the case, then I'll do a little jig when one of YOUR favourite soaps is cancelled.

No one's making you watch Passions. But leave it on the air for the people who actually get pleasure from it. Don't be so g0ddamned selfish.

• Members

well said Steve! Daytime fans need to 'try' and at least stick together for things like, depsite your tastes or opinions of certain shows.

I had just signed onto my Myspace account and recieved a similar messege from "Dylan Fergus" mentioning the same thing, that the Today show was looking to expand to four hours....which is just ridiculous, who is gonna watch that much? The one I get at 11am is a 'rerun' of some of what they just aired earlier in the day..so what are they going to fill four hours with?

I am with those that mention the time of year...we ALWAYS get Passions cancellation rumours around this time(sometimes even sooner than this!) and they last right up until the last minute....mostly Passions haters though...so I just cross my fingers and continue to watch my show... :P

• Members
When a soap is as bad as Passions, it deserves to be cancelled. Daytime or not. Soaps aren't dying it's just that crap headwriters like JER don't even try. Y&R went up over 700,000 viewers last year, ATWT saw some very big gains as well. If you deliver people will find the show and tune in. Passions has had YEARS to deliver and it hasn't. Even it's Supernatural/camp niche has been poorly executed in recent years.

I just think one soap would look strange on the lineup and it would probably be the beginning of the end for NBCDaytime. They already cancelled the Daytime Emmys...

Toups, this isn't an internet rumor. It's reported by a major television show and has a statement from the head of NBC saying that it's a strong possibility.

Archived