Is Passions being cancelled?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't you get it? America wants MORE Ann Curry! Ann Curry will fill the fourth hour. She will just read the news for that fourth hour. Housewives across America would rather watch THAT than THE VIEW or THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

Yeah, that's gonna bring up NBC's Ratings! MORE ANN!

• Members

A fourth hour of the Today show????? Geez, NBC is getting carried away with that show like they did with Who Wants to be a Millionaire. I think they are still trying to recover from that fiasco.

I really don't want to see any soap canceled. It would certainly put GL in more danger and AMC if they continue to stay at the bottom of the ratings. As much as I complain about AMC, I don't want to see it gone. It could possibly be the beginning of the end of soap operas as we know them.

• Members

Well, this is bad news for Passions fans and possibly Days' fans as well. It looks like NBC wants to get out of the soap business. TPTB may just be mentioning Passions' cancellation now, but I can't imagine them wanting to keep only one soap on their lineup, especially when syndication and that extra Today program would be cheaper for them in the long run. Syndicated shows cost b/w $250,000-$400,000 every week, while Days' costs at least $600,000 per week. Even if the syndicated shows get lower ratings than Days or Passions, NBC would still make more money with the syndicated shows. Who knows? They could put an hour of a daytime edition of Deal or No Deal or some other game show to replace Days. Ooh, better not give execs any ideas.

This news isn't good at all. Even though I don't watch Passions anymore, I'm truly sorry to Passions' fans if the news about Passions' cancellation is true. After Passions' cancellation, I can only imagine Days to be next. I'm not sure if Corday could convince ABC to take the show. If so, he would have to get rid of some vets and retool the show to meet with the changed cost structure from transferring to a new network. Also, would Days' fans make that jump or would they stick with the syndicated show and that extra hour of the Today show?

Thanks skiman for giving us heads ups on this sad news.....

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 1 2007, 10:45 PM)
If Brian Frons is still at ABC he'd roll out the red carpet for it (then proceed to destroy it), but they'd have to cancel a soap to make room. Would it be AMC or OLTL?

OLTL. It doesn't matter whether or not OLTL's ratings are higher than AMC's at the time of the decision... quite simply, AMC is more wellknown than OLTL, and therefore it has more possibility. AMC also has La Looch, the daytime icon, and OLTL has nada (Slezak doesn't count... anyone who doesn't watch soaps doesn't know who she is... same can't be said for Lucci).

• Members

That is true with Susan Lucci, but if you look now ABC is making a big effort to repair OLTL while AMC continues to suck. Everybody expected OLTL to be the last soap to see changes. I know in reality they'll dump OLTL, but DAYS/OLTL/GH would be a much better lineup than AMC/DAYS/GH.

• Members

I found an article that explains' NBC's thinking about adding the 4th hour of the Today show etc on the Coffeerooms' Passions' board:

Will NBC Add Fourth Hour To 'Today' Show?

--

For years, NBC stations--especially NBC-owned stations--haven't been able to compete with ABC stations in the early-morning time periods via strong syndication programming. That's why "Today" launched a second show in the 9 a.m. hour in October 2000. A third "Today" show would make those shows even move competitive, according to program analysts.

"Trust me; if NBC stations were running "[Live with] Regis & Kelly," they wouldn't be needing a fourth hour of "The Today Show," says Bill Carroll, vice president and director of programming for Katz Communications. "NBC [stations] haven't been successful in buying syndication in daytime."

NBC will need to make a decision by the time the National Association of Television Program Executives convention meets in Las Vegas in mid-January. That's when stations typically make their decisions on what syndication programming will be added to fall schedules.

In that regard, Carroll says NBC will have another decision to make--whether to continue with its hour-long afternoon soap opera "Passions." Odds are that if NBC adds a fourth hour of "The Today Show," it will sacrifice "Passions."

"The net will be trading 10 in the morning for two in the afternoon," says Carroll.

--

For national advertisers, the third hour of "Today" has been a good alternative to standard syndication shows.

"It's much cheaper than "The Today Show," says Gary Carr, senior vice president of national broadcast for TargetCast TCM. "A lot cheaper. It's closer to daytime prices. You buy "The Today Show" to get upscale viewers. But after 9 a.m., those viewers change."

---

http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cf...p;art_aid=52884

B/c of NBC's lack of success in buying syndicated shows, does this mean that Days' is safe from cancellation? At least with Days', the network has a steady stream of loyal viewers.....

• Members

Oh, wow. Mid-January?! So, we should be hearing something very soon, within the next month or two.

And here Toupsy says that nobody should worry yet, LoL. Passions fate is probably sealed as I type this!

Ugh, this won't be good news for Days. A one soap lineup? We're screwed! The only hope is that the fourth hour of "Today" will be a flop and NBC will bring on a new soap pretty quickly. Otherwise, Days is probably screeeeewed.

When Passions gets the axe, what soap will James Reilly turn up on? You just know that some soap will be stupid enough to hire him, probably ABC. Probably OLTL.

• Members

LMAO.......

You give me at least one good laugh a day with your posts......... :lol:

It's fine for you to say that AW sucked, but it's not ok for us to say that Passions sucks the big one?

I'm wonderling the same thing as bellcurve though.....

Who are you?

• Members

One soap lineup WILL NOT WORK. It just wouldn't, and I doubt any network would try.

NBC is without a doubt the least successful soap network of all time. They were the very first to put a daytime soap on the air, yet it took them a good 14 years to put on a truly successful soap. And Lord knows they tried throughout the 1950s...GOOD LORD did they try.

I would not be surprised one bit if they cancelled PSNS and let DAYS fade away as well. I don't want that to happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did.

Archived