Is Passions being cancelled?

• Members
DAYS never get nominated anyway so why bother.

I get the network thing. Although I don't understand why some people only watch soaps on ONE network, silly. I watch GH, ATWT, B&B and DAYS...

I don't think DAYS future really depends on if Passions gets cancelled or not. Passions is crap/joke and gives soaps a bad name. That is mainly why I don't want this show to continue. Passions should never have been created, NBC should have kept Sunset Beach. imo

Ohh and RionPassions. People bash my fav actors all the time here. I can't stand Passions and the actors on this show. This is a board were people share opinions. My opinion is that this show is crap and should never have been born. Sorry if it hurts to read what's on peoples minds.

jmo :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Toups, this isn't an internet rumor. It's reported by a major television show and has a statement from the head of NBC saying that it's a strong possibility.

Where are you getting your information from? Nowhere did it say the "HEAD" anything stating it's a strong possiblity Passions will be replaced. Inside sources are merely speculating at this point.

• Members
Why? It wont if people speak in a polite way. :)

I just think if someone post a subject like this you must know there will be different opinions. Some might feel it's time to let this show go, and some will of course be sad about the rumours. That's just the way it is. I feel for the fans, but as I said earlier I think Passions gives soaps a bad name. It's not like it's a well respected industry already. People always makes fun of soaps.

• Members

:lol:

I'm here to defend my show(or one of them anyway) 'tis true that Passions is absolutely nothing like it used to be, but I still can't pull myself away! I did once, right after the whole Passions in LA thing, stopped watching for almost a year, and then got suckered back into it....

totally understand as well, that there are some serious people out there that can't stand the show, and well, they have a right to their opinions and such, but you won't see me in a thread about a show I don't watch or don't like, and trust me, there are few that just make me SNOOZE!

....and yes, depite my opinions about shows like EXTRA...mark mcgrath :lol: , it does worry me that something like this seems to be making more 'news' than before...I just can't understand who would want or think that another hour of the Today show is a good idea...

• Members

You're right, not NBC head, but NBC Spokesperson said: “There is a strong possibility” of the expansion, NBC News spokesperson Megan Koft said, declining further comment.

If there is a strong possibility of this then it isn't a rumor. What other timeslot is there that isn't given up to affiliates? They sure aren't going to give up DAYS.

• Members

Have you seen past threads about Passions being cancelled? It will get ugly.

That being said, I'm at the point where if you can't be supportive of a soap, even if it isn't your cup of tea, then all soaps should be canned. Let's see how that goes.

• Members

skiman. As I said. People bash actors and shows all the time. It's always gonna be someone's favorite, sorry to say it's your favorite this time (and I'm not saying that to mock you, honest). If you didn't want any negative posts then you could have simply asked for that. Can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't have said a word then.

Anyway. I've said pretty much what I think of all this. Peace. Out. :)

• Members

No, don't cancel PSNS.

I just want a capable headwriter.

Instead of NBCD taking the easy way out, why not examine what is wrong with the show and fix it.

Fire JER.

&

Return this show to its roots.

I miss the good vs. evil battles. IF PSNS had a better Head Writer that stuff would be much more interesting. Juliet Mills getting stronger dialogue? Good stuff! This show suffers from weak writing and bad actors.

skiman I see what you're saying. Nobody likes to hear that there soap may get cancel, and it's quite unfair to wish cancellation. PSNS has been upseting me a lot lately, but so has ATWT and I wouldn't want it to be cancelled.

• Members

I could definitely see this being true.

-Soaps, in general, are dying. NBC knows this, ABC and CBS know this. It's only a matter of time before Passions (and GL) are cancelled and start the chain of cancellations. Things are really dire, y'all, and I don't think any network (especially the executives high up in the echelons of Disney/ABC, Universal/NBC and CBS) thinks or realistically believes that soaps will ever turnaround and become the profitable enterprise they once were.

-The Today Show is NBC's most profitable show. Period. Expanding it an extra hour would only mean more $$$. To do so, they would need an extra hour, and I don't think NBC would want to rob its stations of another daytime hour (and I don't think they would be particularly willing to give up an extra hour). A good majority of syndicated shows out there today may be trashy and/or disposable (content wise), but they do bring in the money, they are very inexpensive, compared to any soap opera, which inherently has a lot more costs) and they keep affiliates afloat.

-One soap lineup? You bet. I don't think any NBC exec. believes that Days survives based on Passions. Passions may get ratings because of Days, but Days is a 40+ year institution. The fans are there. It's established enough with its extremely loyal fanbase that will watch the show, regardless if there's another soap coming after it. NBC Daytime survived the cancellation of 35 year old AW, and cancelling Passions would be a piece of cake after that.

And frankly, I don't think NBC cares if Days suffers because of a Passions cancellation. The faster they can wash their hands of soap operas, the better. They aren't a source of profit anymore, they are an anchor weighing the network done.

It's all business. Even the 'top revenue' soaps (i.e. Y&R and Days) are losing profit faster than you could ever think. Daytime TV is entering the last phase, I believe, (really...how bad can things get? Creatively and financially, speaking?) and the networks don't need soaps to remain profitable and viable. Back in the days, daytime, in some cases, accounted for a quarter of a network's profit. These days, in the age of mega corporations, Universal isn't concerned with making NBC profitable through Days of Our Lives. They are concerned with making it profitable through primetime and The Today Show.

A pretty bleak (and negative) picture. But with ratings as awful as they've ever been, it's really time to facing reality and accepting that soaps are hanging on by only a thread.

• Members

There is a significant difference between bashing an actor/character/writer/show and wishing the cancellation of a show, especially of a show you don't watch. If you don't want to watch it, fine. If you don't like it, fine. Don't say that it deserves to be cancelled because it's not your cup of tea. It's a bullshit excuse. For all the flaws that EVERY soap has, I have yet to see anyone say that the other soaps deserve to be cancelled the way it's been said about Passions.

Archived